seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Thanks again gents. There are a few bits I'm less than happy with, but I'm trying not to get carried away. Had a few hours last night, so should be ready for first fire up tomorrow! Need to attach drive shafts and downpipe to mani, fill the cooling system and attach rad hoses, then fingers crossed all is well! I'll scan it before firing anyway.

Had a bit of a mare and sheared half of the starter motor/earth securing bolt putting the nut on, but think I've saved it.

Bought a few of the little bits that need refreshing as well. New door strikers as the nylon straps had disintegrated, some caliper paint to touch up in a few places before 288 conversion later this year, a knackered set of dials. Hoping this will,fix my spoiler not going up at speed. It goes up on the button though, so will chop these about with my current set if it works. If not, they only cost me £3.01 anyway! Lol.

I've also got some plastic film and tigerseal. I'm gonna attempt to redo my door membranes using the old split ones as templates when I move onto the interior.

Oh, and a set of Lupo wiper arms and blades to finally go on. I've never really been keen on the shape of them, and think they stick out like a sore thumb when on, but it's a kind of necessity now. Original ones are actually quite dangerous so until a better alternative is found, these will have to do.

A couple more pics.

DSC_0088_zpsfihlfbv2.jpg

DSC_0089_zpsmtjpqhd6.jpg

DSC_0091_zpszlidgaai.jpg

DSC_0092_zpsxymhpcul.jpg

Edited by seanl82

Fired up for the first time tonight, unfortunately the missus turned up stressed out with the kids just at that point, so had to leave it.

All is not well though. Vagcom scanned before first start with fuel pump relay pulled. All seemed well. Turned over a few times to build oil pressure and everything seemed good. Started up after that but sounds like it's running on about three cylinders

Also have an unknown water leak but that's probably just a hose clip not secured properly somewhere. I scanned again whilst running, and it came up with wiring fault, but I didn't write down the code. I'll change coil and leads tomorrow for the originals to rule them out, and go from there. :(

Halfords Chris, £1.99 or £1.49 with trade card. I can't remember the diameter sorry. There were two in stock, and it was the smaller of them. It should be obvious when you see it though, the other is much too large. One pack is plenty enough as well mate.

Picked a pack up at the weekend but I took a piece of the old stuff to compare, it was about the same size as the larger stuff at 4.7mm rather than the small stuff at 3.2mm. Not tried it yet though.

Thought it was 4.7mm but didn't want to say unless I was wrong. That was the smaller of the two I saw, the other was much larger.

Well, problem seems to have resolved itself. I can only deduce it was a fueling problem and a guess would be a bit of crud had gathered near the tip of the injector, where they were ultrasonically cleaned or something. :shrug:

Clutch bled up, and moved back and forth under its own power today.:dance:

Away to Plymouth for the w.end so won't be back on it til next week. Hopefully be finished and ready for its first run out by the end of next w.end though, Can't wait!

Had a few hours on it today. All bar one water leak has been sorted, and that's coming from the aux water pump. Got two spare but not sure if they're any kop either. Interior has been fully prepped and the first basecoat applied with the sponge. Gotta say I'm really impressed with the furniture clinic kit so far. It looks great already and I'm really excited to have a pretty much as new interior on completion! Got all day tomorrow to progress a bit further with it so hopefully get a couple of coats sprayed on.

Bonnet is also back on now, just need to secure the front bumper and refit the lighting and exterior is good to go. Starting to look like a car again though, and I'd almost forgotten how great and purposeful they look! :cool:

DSC_0095_zpsox70oj4k.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsvgjlsm3y.jpg

Massive change Sean, the engine bay looks brand new. Its funny cos I had the slightest dribble from the aux water pump but looks to have sorted itself now.

I like the look of it on the second picture, shame you cant run it like that!

Are those massive solitudes in that picture or are they a lot nearer the camera?

Haha, yeah the look like it don't they! A couple of the guys that use the workshop do off-road competitions. They're off one of their cars. They have three or four so not sure which one tbh. The leak looks to be coming from the plastic join in the centre of the pump rather than a hose, so it needs swapping out for one of the spares I have. Not sure which, if any are good though. I'll just have to swap em and see.

Fantastic stuff the engine bay looks amazing hats off to you sir.

My aux water pump recently started making a right racket and I needed to replace so I got a new bosch one from these guys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271367079431?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D271367079431%26_rdc%3D1. Fast delivery and far cheaper than anywhere else.

The annoying thing was I had to buy this to replace a genuine one I bought direct from VW in March 2011 part number 251965561B. The genuine one cost me £109.30 at the time and only lasted just over 6k miles before becoming really noisy and making a screeching noise after turning the car off, tried cleaning it made no difference, so in the end just decided to replace.

But cant say I was to impressed with the genuine part only lasting 6k before playing up. My advice to you is if you decide to replace just get the bosch one and save your cash. The bosch one is probably half the price of what a genuine one will probably be now days and just as good if not better IMO.

I bet, deep down, this car is glad you found it! What a transformation in a year or so!

Totally just show's how you have been dragging your heel's a bit mate :rolleyes:

Lol, My engine has been in for 8 months or so

#justsayin!

Yeah I'm actually thinking now i better get a move on or you are going to be on my case regarding mine "OH OH " should have kept my mouth shut!!

Thanks again guys! Productive day today, all back together on the exterior. Need to jiggle the bonnet to line it up properly, and tint the replacement fog, then give it a good clean. Not washed it in 3 1/2 months so it's dusty as hell! Spare aux pump fitted and I'm now water leak free.

Interior is now complete! :dance: Need to leave it 24 hours before use, so I'll start getting it back in on Monday. Need to sort tax, then she'll be going on her first outing since February. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan!

A couple of photos.

DSC_0122_zpsjjl91zyh.jpg

DSC_0123_zpsq1ibwjhp.jpg

Even after not being washed in so long, its good to see the last coat of wax is still doing its job!

DSC_0125_zps1ngikvbl.jpg

Can't wait to be able to use a proper seat again! Really should tidy it up in there first! Also reminds me, I still need to knock up the door membranes to replace the knackered ones still in there.

DSC_0124_zpsaklx7b2b.jpg

Good for you Sean this has come a long long way since you bought it good work young man :thumbleft:

Cheers James. Ben, wheels are a little scruffy tbh, but they'll be getting refurbished when it goes in for respray.

I'll get some photos when the interior is back in, but I've gotta say it looks amazing! A couple of small imperfections, but a damn good effort for a diy job in a bit of a dusty workshop if I do say so myself. :smug:

Sorted insurance today too. Adrian flux, 4k mileage limit, FC with all option except recovery (already with RAC) and key cover, £150 excess, total annual price; £198. :cool:

Tax tomorrow then ready for blast on Wednesday. :dance:

Brilliant Sean well done mate . Can i ask how old you are? . That ins is well cheap . I asked them and they wanted £242.00

Rob