seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Looking good Sean.. giving me a bit of inspiration to do mine... but not till the weather warms up a bit.

Chris are the brake lines your talking about from the guy down in Cornwall. He's not been on here for a while. Must investigate some as I'm collecting bits for the rear end.

Cheers Chris, I'll certainly enquire about the heat shields as some of them are quite pitted and just aren't cleaning up how I'd like.

I've got Kunifer pipe to flare and fit, I'll be doing it myself though. Like you seem to be doing with the Mk1, it gives me more satisfaction doing everything myself or at least knowing I've tried. Its not OE but the car isn't an homage to originality so content with them knowing they'll never rust - and its much cheaper!

Coming on well Sean . Plenty of shiny parts . I'm braving the cold on Saturday, to try and crack on a bit. Looking forward to more updates mate .

Good luck with the underside. It seems to go on forever once you start.

I hard trouble getting the heatshields, i remember one costing a small fortune.

Had mixed results with my underside, some parts rusted up again in a few months. Wish I'd had bolts and some other bits plated,

Looking good Sean.. giving me a bit of inspiration to do mine... but not till the weather warms up a bit.

Chris are the brake lines your talking about from the guy down in Cornwall. He's not been on here for a while. Must investigate some as I'm collecting bits for the rear end.

Yes, that's the guy. I bought a full set from him for the blackberry, the storm's where like new! I think Goldie and Kip have had full sets from him too.

Another thing Sean, for the exhaust hangers that have the captive rubbers in them (which I believe are obsolete), I broke the tack welds off the tubes that hold the rubber in place, fitted new rubbers and tacked them back in place then had the whole thing zinc plated! the zinc process doesn't affect the rubber.

Man I wish I had time to do this, looks great Sean.

Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Thanks all, it'll take some time but I will get there.

Chris, I have all new exhaust rubbers/hangers. They're aftermarket but are zinc plated as they come. I did put them in with the rest, but the platers said the acid would get in between the rubber and tubes and could cause corrosion. The larger hanger mount/rubber is new too, but as the bush is tight they were happy to plate them (that one is in silver passivate in the pic).

Its a third car now as well, so it certainly won't be out in the winter or rain so at least I know it'll all last as well.

Man I wish I had time to do this, looks great Sean.

Looking forward to seeing the updates.

I wish I had the time too Mic! I'm not convinced the car will see the road this year to be honest, but at least I can take my time with it now I have the garage and 2 other cars to use.

Just read this from start to finish, Totally inspirational and has come so far! Looking forward to seeing how the underside tart up will take shape! :)

Wow good effort, thats an epic read! Thanks for the kind words mate, much appreciated! Hopefully it shapes up ok but don't think it'll be on par with some of them on here. Should have bought a good un to start with! haha. I'm proud of how far its come though, and pretty much everything by my own hand. :thumbleft:

Cheers Rob! :thumbleft:

Small update. Had the last couple of days off of work, so with the kids back to school I've had a few hours to crack on with the car and do a bit more cleaning of the underside.

I've finished the first pass (pics), and I've since done a second one on the rear end up to the drop where the rear foot wells come down to.

First shows a 50/50 side by side after the first pass at the front.

DSC_0449_zpszscilsgq.jpg

DSC_0450_zpso13xzzak.jpg

DSC_0451_zpscfvseqbe.jpg

DSC_0452_zpsff8npg06.jpg

I've not done under the fuel or brake pipes yet, as around this area it must have been around 2mm thick with grime so got fed up so moved on and made up the brake pipes from the bias valve back. Happy with how they turned out and the flares are pretty good for a cheap tool.

Had to improvise with a few bends as the bending tool I have didn't make sharp enough angles but they've come out pretty well, just need to get them fitted up to see how accurate they are now.

I've decided I'm going to get the VW underseal now. Despite the price, I want it to be as close a match as possible to the original and there aren't that many areas that need repairs, mainly around a few studs and brackets. 1 tub should be enough though so I'll get stripping back with a wire wheel, treating then painting it before putting the underseal on around Easter when I next get time on it.

Looks good - same sort of jobs I intend to do to mine. out of interest.. how do you make the pictures that size? mine just come up as attachments.. are they hosted elsewhere?

Cheers mate. It's messy and pretty unrewarding work but I suppose the MOT tester will get to appreciate it! It's helped identify any nasties that were hidden though, which fortunately aren't many.

I upload the pics to photobucket, then link them in.

Looking good Sean, recommend thinners on unpainted areas and turps on the bits underneath that have paint.

I'm really interested to know what the VW stonechip is like and if it's the same as the thick rubbery stuff already on the corrado.

Great work Sean . Will be lovely when your done . I would have liked to have done this myself, but it was hard enough doing what I did to the underside on a drive way let alone stripping the protection off as well. I thought mine was in great condition and removed any of the flaky stuff and treated it with underside spray . I think it's great stuff , it goes on nice and thick too .

Edited by robrado974

Looking good Sean, recommend thinners on unpainted areas and turps on the bits underneath that have paint.

I'm really interested to know what the VW stonechip is like and if it's the same as the thick rubbery stuff already on the corrado.

A bit of substance misuse, but I've been draining the tank and using the old petrol with a nail brush Chris!

Its worked a treat to be fair, and I'd have only disposed of the old fuel when it was back on the road anyway. Just need to be careful with any electrics or naked flames!

Well the Zertifikat and data sheet arrived.

The "Extra" codes should be;

E8R - Special Edition Storm

WA3 - Comfortline Great Britain

DSC_0455_zpsqnbb5hxu.jpg

None of those present. A little gutted but kind of expected.

Not sure if I should just go and remove the badges now though! lol

Its taken 4 years but at least I've finally got to the bottom of it. As mentioned in one of the first posts on this thread, it was originally registered to the dealership so I reckon they put the badges on and had it in the showroom for a kind of "look whats coming" type thing.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Still a car to be proud of Sean storm or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry to hear this Sean... it's still a cracking car... I've never been hung up on a storm. Think the Speedline are better rims.

Would any of those codes match up to the sticker in the boot if you have one...

Just wondering if E8r would be in the boot of a storm. Anyone with a storm maybe can confirm

What is the comfort line ?

Edited by delfinis38

Sorry to hear this Sean... it's still a cracking car... I've never been hung up on a storm. Think the Speedline are better rims.

Would any of those codes match up to the sticker in the boot if you have one...

Just wondering if E8r would be in the boot of a storm. Anyone with a storm maybe can confirm

What is the comfort line ?

I don't think E8R appears on the boot sticker.

I compared mine to Rog Chatfields old Mystic Storm and aside from the paint code, the rest were identical to his.

I'm just going from a Certificate that someone posted on the Storm Owners Register group on Facebook.

Still a car to be proud of Sean storm or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks James! :thumbleft:

As James said , you have a car to be proud of . Remind yourself of those first pics you put up, to what you have now . I still remember the carpets , they looked like they had been dragged round a field !, let alone the rest of the work that's gone in to it . Anybody on here would be pleased to own your car Sean .

Edited by robrado974