Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

Bit more progress.

I'm in the process of mounting the battery in the boot so I thought I would mount the earth lead to the chassis near where I will put the battery itself.

So, I pulled back the carpet and found some very dodgy alarm wiring!

20140210_170332_zpsf35f15c7.jpg

Hardly any insulation tape over the very poor joints. Luckily I looked behind there, it could have been very dangerous if left alone. I set about rewiring the dodgy cables so now it's not a fire waiting to happen and I mounted the battery earth lead to a convenient hole which only needed opening slightly. Paint was removed prior to mounting the earth strap and the bare metal was protected.

20140210_173105_zpsr8hp9lnq.jpg

Much better! Now I just need to get a battery tray, an inline fuse holder and about a metre of battery cable. The E46 cable is about a metre too short to fit the battery next to the rear light. I'm hoping the battery will fit entirely in the recess so that I can fit a false side to hide it and anything else I decide to fit in the boot.

its amazing how much poor/dangerous wiring is done by so-called alarm experts! Enjoyable thread as ever.

Cheers Hasan! It's been a voyage of discovery as regards to electrical safety. The amount of frankly dangerous things that have been found on this old skip is generally unacceptable! Like you say, the alarm fitters that have been near this car in the past obviously have no skill, talent or concerns for the safety of their customers.

Got a little bit further in my battery relocation today. I fitted the fuse holder in place below the earth strap and light. I've got to fit the tray yet but that is a problem for a different day.

Pictures tell a thousand words and all that.

The setup in detail - The end of the wire has been heat shrink wrapped since this picture and the bolt head below it has been insulated against the battery feed. There is a few mm of clearance anyway but best safe than sorry!

20140217_174245_zpse586e898.jpg

A wider view

20140217_174255_zps7e2259dd.jpg

With the cover on

20140217_174233_zps4066e11a.jpg

I'm going to have to remove the carpet around the earth strap and fuse holder but i'm going to put a false wall in to hide all of this or I may just live with the lumpy carpet. Not sure yet. I'm straying towards the false side to hide all the workings.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

I've seen it on here mate "got my new car" "new bit's done" "got this got that" but all totally made a hash of putting together anyone looking at your's can see/tell it is being done properly :salute:

My OCD forces me to do it this way mate. That and I can't be doing with listening to the missus moaning in my ear if it breaks down on me even once!

My OCD forces me to do it this way mate. That and I can't be doing with listening to the missus moaning in my ear if it breaks down on me even once!

:rofl:

I absolutely know where your coming from mate! :lol:

:rofl:

I absolutely know where your coming from mate! :lol:

Don't you start :lol: Wanna buy some wheel's.........

Excellent attention to detail, very tidy instal. I'll be watching as its something I need to do, where did you get the fuse box from?

Out of a scrapped E46 318 BMW. I get bored wondering around scrap yards looking for things that I can use! Basically, I went around all of the BMW's in my local scrappy and had a look around at what all the different solutions were to a battery in the boot. There are 3 different ways on the E46 shell alone on how electrics are sent from the boot.

Don't you start :lol: Wanna buy some wheel's.........

No. Can't afford non essential items. Missus has just paid a deposit for a bloody Malamute puppy now! :rolleyes:

Another day, another update!

As part of the 02J gearchange upgrade, the reverse light switch changes and you are no longer able to plug the reverse light loom in. You have 2 options. Option one is to make sure that you get the first part of the 02J switch loom and solder that into the Corrado loom. The other option is to change the switch for one which the Corrado can plug into. There is a switch from a Mk1 that works, Part number 020 945 415 A and looks like

20140220_142049_zps1405d95f.jpg

Got it from eBay Volksbits for 5 or 6 quid delivered and it works a treat. Simple things!

List of things still to sort out!

ABS Light

Exhaust system - Thinking of the full dubpower system once I've seen how the replacement OEM system looks

Battery tray

New Drivers wing mirror as the old one fell off!

Suspect brake light switch. VCDS is showing the position sensor as failed but the light switch as working. Poxy thing isn't even that old from VW! May go and get it swapped under the 2 year warranty on parts scheme.

And then maybe i'll be able to get it MOT'd, tracking sorted, Insured and taxed. Then I can look finishing any shake down tests before using it as a car!

No. Can't afford non essential items. Missus has just paid a deposit for a bloody Malamute puppy now! :rolleyes:

You needed to do what I did, and show her pictures of cute mongrel puppies, we now have a jack russell crossed with a poodle that was advertised as a jackapoo... (but cheap as its a mongrel :) )

Nice work on the your rado and good tip on the reverse switch

Edited by rado20vT

Another day and more updates.

I've managed to sort out my abs light. It was bit of mix and match of Mk3 light circuit board and Corrado ABS housing. It's tight and you have to modify it to fit properly and is not the purists choice on OEMness but I struggled like hell to find a B4 light. Anyway. It's all good and I have an ABS light now and all works well!

I do have a weird problem though, according to VCDS, both the engine AND ABS systems are showing the brakes as being on when they are not! A lot of diagnosis later shows that the ECU's are both kicking out a voltage on their independent brakes ON pins when they should be reading voltage instead! I did try another ABS pump and that has the same fault but has a software coding issue that won't clear!

Very very weird! 1 step forward and 1 step back eh!

I've managed to drive it from one end of my driveway to the other and I think I also have a vacuum leak as the brakes go soft and you can here the engine idle fluctuate slightly after you use the vacuum. A second or 2 later and the brakes are firm for the first press then go soft again! Easy to fix though so not all so bad!

Another day, another update!

I've cured my brake light VCDS status issue. Turns out that my bulbs themselves were both blown unknown to me. I knew that one had gone, but wasn't aware of the other one having gone. I hadn't bothered to replace it as I was a long way from even getting it running, let alone being MOT'd. New bulb and VCDS shows brake light status as designed! Easy fix if a little frustrating that it was so simple!

Got over to the local dealer to order up some bits ready for my to fit the exhaust in a few weeks time and whilst I was at it, I bought a set of locking wheel bolts. When did they become £40?! The wheels that were fitted had the wrong size tyres fitted and were catching the spring seat at the rear so the CHs are now fitted securely. It's looking like a car more and more as the days pass!

Also refitted for the first time in 18 months, the lower dash trims. Get the exhaust fitted at some point soon and then the final testing can be done before I get it ready to be put back on the road! I could do with a new mirror though since the old one fell off!

A photo for all you photo lovers!

20140311_175638_zps17d1d4d4.jpg

Looks rubbish.... I'd definitely sell those wheels ;)

Seriously though, looks fantastic and sounds like you're getting so much closer to being back on the road. And glad the brake issue was an easy fix in the end even if it was a bit of a brain teaser!

I don't think anyone would be interested in them Mic! Now that I go past it wearing nice shoes, it may inspire me to put the last chunk of cash required into it to get it going!

The brake issue was definitely bitter sweet!

Fixed a few little problems on her today. There was a power steering leak that turned out to be a dodgy copper washer on the pump and a loose union on the rack itself.

Also replaced all of the o-rings on the thermostat housing for peace of mind more than anything.

The gear change has become tight over the winter and this was traced down to a gummed up pivot point on the tower so fixed, cleaned and greased and re assembled and all is well with the world!

Also replaced the studs on the exhaust manifold ready to take a new exhaust. Pishing thing needed all the holes tapping and cleaning out as the winter had made the threads a bit messy.

Finished off by relocating the alarm siren as the self tapper that the alarm fitter used was loose and not doing its job very well! Now fitted in place of the original battery.

Not all good as I managed to snap off one of the upper clips on the grille. Bugger! How much is a new one? £400 I guess!

Edited by Sean_Jaymo