lewis1982

VR6 Running temperature?

Hi, what is the Normal safe running temp of VR?

My coolant sits at 100 on the motorway and 110 around town with the outside air temp 14 degrees.

Is this normal?

Cheers, Lewis

Just went for a look around and found that the belt between the two radiator fans has snapped, so only working on one fan. So that won't help the temp

The fans won't come on anyway at motorway speeds but yes you are correct it will make a difference around town.

Other possible problems -

Inaccurate gauge

Old/worn radiator

Water pump impellers broken

Check out the "definitive VR6 cooling thread" that's stickied - plenty of info there that will help you with troubleshooting.

Well that's the fan belt replaced but it hasn't made much difference :-(

it sits between 100-108 all the time, even on the motorway.

anyone any ideas what To check now?

Thanks

In order of cheapness:-

Main water pump

Aux Pump

Radiator

I remember a few years ago replacing my radiator (with a genuine one - which are no longer available) and it just ran sooooooo much cooler afterwards. So much so I binned my Mocal as it was no longer required (over cooled the oil). The radiator is always overlooked because it's a static part and sat out of the way minding it's own, but it's absolutely crucial on the hot running VR.

I sometimes wonder if people fit mocals to cure 110+ motorway oil temps when all that's really needed is a decent cooling system overhaul.

Presuming the horns are behind the grill on a VR like the G60, has anyone relocated them and found any difference in running temps?

bro its probably fine, mine has ran like this for years, some old cars just run hotter, A few old boys i know with classic cars (dad included) said they prefer to run hotter, as long as it doesn't go above 110 and the fans are kicking in when they should i wouldn't threat to much. Meanwhile find someone with a computer than can take a digital reading, i got it done on mine and the dash dial reads about 5deg hotter than it actually is anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

apologies, im assuming you hve already checked the water pump itself. no point in replacing the belt and not the pump for what it costs, the thing is, from the factory VW fit a Water pump with a metal impeller, however, these are not as easy to come by as the normal plastic ones you find, so more than often you willl end up with a corrado such as yours, which may have had the metal one replaced with the plastic one at some point in its life. The problem with this being the blades on the plastic ones just come clean of after a while, and instead of a water pump, you end up with a motor spinning an impeller with no blades on it atal. therefore not circulating any fluid around the engine. When i was in your shoes i thought i tried everything, eventually i removed the water pump and found exactly that. an impeller with no blades. sorced a new one, and problem solved.

Presuming the horns are behind the grill on a VR like the G60, has anyone relocated them and found any difference in running temps?

My horns are mounted on the inner wing, sort of behind the side edge of the bumper

Hi Lewis, I am in Linlithgow, too.

Hope you get your temp problem sorted.

I overhauled cooling system a few years ago and managed to get a water pump with metal blades impeller. VAG suggest you get water pump changed in Golfs last few years every 60k miles (?) because of plastic blades breaking.

My temp runs at just below 70C until I get into traffic, then it goes up and fans work fine.

I had a new generic rad fitted by Tarduff motors a few weeks ago. Temps read out same as they were for past 10 years with original radiator.

Hope to see you around!

Iain

Thanks everyone for there help I have decided to order a new-

radiator

Water pump

V belt

G13 coolant

Radiator fan switch

Radiator top elbow + seal

Manual fan over ride switch on dash

That should hopefully help things :-)

Craigowl I think i have seen u a few times , Do you live at Barons hill? Think I seen your car on a drive a few weeks ago

Craigowl I think i have seen u a few times , Do you live at Barons hill? Think I seen your car on a drive a few weeks ago

Yep that's right.

FWIW, my standard VR6 when I got it all those years ago used to show 114 for oil temp sat at 80, so yours isn't that bad tbh.

Mine being a fully rebuilt engine when at motorway speeds for long distances the oil can get up to 108/110 during the hot weather we last had as soon as im in residential surrounds though it drops to 100/102

You should add oil cooler to that list.

My oil temps were 120 and since fitting new one now no more than 108.

I was hoping for the same effect but replacing the oil cooler on mine made zero difference. I've been wondering if the oil itself can influence temperatures, grade and quality, etc.

Got round to fitting some stuff today.

Done- Main water pump ( turned out the old one was fine and intact with metal impellers, oh well replaced it anyway )

V belt

Radiator ( the old one was completely knackered and falling apart )

New G13 coolant

I now have normal coolant temperature at last :-D must have been the radiator causing the problems

Do you know what coolant was on it before?.

I think mine actually runs cooler now after I replaced the coolant with VW G13 - I think mine has some "Comma" coolant before....IIRC mine was around 100 before, but now sits closer to 85-90

Had G13 coolant in it before, but befinately think it was the radiator because when I touched it all the cooling fins were falling off. But now coolant sits at 85-90 but before was 110