Portent

Will mk2 Scirocco's be cool again?

I absolutely adore mk1's but they are so old now that getting a decent one would be near impossible. I used to own a mk2 GTX back in the early 90's and it was my first fairly quick car. I loved it. Until recently though I'd looked at them and thought they really hadn't aged well. But now I've started to really think they look great again.

Am I weird? Do you think they may become "cool" like the mk1's?

No I'm not going to buy one. I just think they have started to look quite nice again.

A lad at work has a new Scirocco, its a nice car, a little too much like a Sporty Golf IMO, got all the toys etc, but I dont think it will ever be a rival to the MK1, original is always best, hence my hope VW decide not to create a MK2 Corrado...

Thanks but I was referring to the mk2 (1981 to 1992) not the newest one (mk3).

I don't like the current mk3 :)

Just so hard to know really. I've got to be honest and say I've never been really crazy about them.. though I would quite like a MK2 Scirocco 'Tropic' in Kiwi Brown.

No you're not weird, I had a gt2 and loved it, space permiting I'd get one tomorrow. My dad gave my sister a mark 1 as a first car which she let rot away in London - still irks me now!

agreed they look their age, but they are beginning to get achieve that quirky cool angular look when compared to all the curvy stuff on the roads today.

i really don't like the mark 3's either, Though I wouldnt say no to the r version....!

I've never been keen on the Mk2 Scirroco,the Mk1 looks much better imo.

But i found the driving position in both not nice at all.

I had an 83 GTi VAW151Y, I enjoyed it for what it was,but the build quality was nothing compared to my C,it got to a 100k and everything went wrong !

I had a 1985 GTX is pewter grey metallic and black body kit. One of the best cars I've ever owned. Zender spoiler, MPG gauge. Man I miss that car.

P1010018.jpg

Mk1 for me :)

Getting a Mk1 is not THAT difficult, just need to look in the right places, know the right people, and there are some folk (well, one that springs to mind) that restore them professionally (started as a hobby, now does this full time), see here:

http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7985

Then fast forward to current projects Ant's doing: http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7985&start=150

The Mk2 is at its price bottom IMHO. Whether they'll ever fetch as much money as the iconic Mk1s remains to be seen. The Mk1s certainly are starting to go up in value quite nicely, especially in Germany, where Mk2s also seem to be cheap as chips by comparison 9at the moment at least).

Tempest

I had a mk1 golf progressed to a champagne coloured mk2 scirocco it had a full colour coded bbs kit i fitted lowered suspension ,central locking .centra wheels and i loved it ! it was superseded by my first corrado which was so much better and a natural progression.

However the golfs have gone bonkers and so will the sciroccos in fact anything with a vw badge!

I had a mk1 golf progressed to a champagne coloured mk2 scirocco it had a full colour coded bbs kit i fitted lowered suspension ,central locking .centra wheels and i loved it ! it was superseded by my first corrado which was so much better and a natural progression.

However the golfs have gone bonkers and so will the sciroccos in fact anything with a vw badge!

For whatever reason, the Golf became the most iconic / recognisable cars whilst the Scirocco's and Corrado's only seem to remain popular amongst journalists and ex-owners. I'm really not sure that'll change in the future and I just don't know that either Corrado or Scirocco will be as popular (or valuable) as Golfs from the same era, relative to their original retail prices.

I get a lot of looks, questions and even offers to buy when I take my Mk2 Scirocco out. For a long time you could pick them up for a few hundred pounds, now there seem to be better examples for sale and the asking price is reasonable/high (approx £1,000 to 3,000). It's hard to put a price on a car that you probably won't use as a daily, so becomes an enthusiast car imo.

I've got 3 mk2 Sciroccos, and don't think I'll be selling any time soon :)

DSCN2948.jpg

Corrados and Sciroccos weren't family orientated and especially in the case of the Corrado, was too expensive compared to the Golf. So they quickly fell off the grid.

Will the Scirocco ever be cool? IMO it never was cool to begin with :lol:

Can't stand MK1s, but the old MK2 Scala had a certain charm about it, but I'd take a Golf over any Scirocco any day of the week.

I like the MK1's visually, and I loved the Mark 2's until I saw my first Corrado in 2003!

Managed to miss them until that point!

I never understood the mk2 scirocco, mk1 golf underpinnings (not great if we're being honest, at least once we got out of the 70's!) but heavier than a mk1, and then one of VW's first attempts at styling a car by themselves - and it shows.

Then they only ever made the 16v in LHD.

And the Passat parts bin raided wing mirrors are ugly, at least the Corrado got it's own!

I never understood the mk2 scirocco, mk1 golf underpinnings (not great if we're being honest, at least once we got out of the 70's!) but heavier than a mk1, and then one of VW's first attempts at styling a car by themselves - and it shows.

Then they only ever made the 16v in LHD.

And the Passat parts bin raided wing mirrors are ugly, at least the Corrado got it's own!

I believe that the mk2 Storm was 16v and RHD ( my brother had one).

I struggle to like them as when i was a kid the local weirdo lady with loads of cat had one and that's all i picture when i see one. She was like that grotbags lady from kids tv.

Just phoned my brother and you're right of course. It seems his was an Oettinger conversion from new (also 16v but single cam he seems to recall). It wasn't running right when he got it so he later converted it to a Golf 16v engine). He also modified the gearing. This was back in the late 80s or early 90s I think so a fairly quick car for its time. I do remember him pulling the engine out and leaving it in the garden and my parents nagging him to get rid of it). I loved that car and got a scirocco GTX as a result and that is one of the reasons I have a Corrado today.

I believe that the mk2 Storm was 16v and RHD ( my brother had one).

Nope, the Mk2 Storms all featured the capable DX 1.8 engine (8 valver), but they were indeed all RHD, because they were a special edition solely made for the UK market.

Those that can't see the beauty of a Mk1 have sh*t in their eyes :lol: There's some fighting talk :lol:

Tempest

I always thought the Mk1 looked a lot like a Capri. Whether you think that's a good thing or not I dunno! :lol:

I really like the Mk2 - was tempted to get one instead of the C but the VR was too much of a pull...

I do like a mk1 scirocco. Love the twin headlight look. If I was to get one it will have to have a modern engine in it wrapped around in that retro mk1 scirocco bodyshell.

Edited by VWVW