awigman

Iv lost the love

So after over 10 years of ownership I think I have finally lost the love for my corrado and am looking for something abit more modern. I know this probably won't go down very well but Im viewing a Clio RS200 on saturday. Has anybody owned/driven one before, I would love to know their opinions of them.

I am also in two minds (well three) whether I keep the C, sell it, or break it for parts. I would hate to break it as its too good to break but I would defo get more money that way and dont think I could justify it just sitting on my drive.

I'm going to pretend that you didn't just say "Clio"!

Seriously though, hang onto it and put it in storage if you can because you WILL want to get back into it at some stage

Each to their own though. Would be a shame to break if it's a good one but all depends on your own circumstances I suppose.

There does come a point when people want to move on. Some do permanently, many don't. It's an awful lot of hassle, not to mention it takes a lot of time and space to break a car. Many parts won't go or will take a long time advertising (which costs also) so it's usually best to just sell as is unless it's already on the cusp of becoming a scrapper. All the best with what you decide, but not sure I'd pick a clio as a successor. Sure they're pretty good fun to drive, but you'll always have the feeling you could have got so much more for your money if you buy one............

Yeaa join the clio club mines a peach im in love with her haha , on a seriouse note though mate id buy the new car ank keep the rado and see how it goes for a few months , if you dont like the clio then at least you can fall back in to the rado instead of kicking your self for selling it

Don't ever ever ever buy a clio, ever! my girlfriend has had 2, why the hell she bought another one after her first was beyond me. Its horrible to drive, the driving position is horrible, seats are uncomfy, build quality i would rate in negative figures, ease of maintenance is laughable - to change a bulb I felt like I needed to remove the engine.

She owned her second for about 6 months before slave cylinder went and guess what? Its built into the friggin gearbox so instead of 2 bolts it was gearbox off! Who does that!?

If you must own a clio, keep the corrado and then at least you'll be able to smile when you get back into your 20yr old car and realise that the build quality is a million times better.

In a word, maybe 2, build quality, French cars are built to last until just after the warranty runs out, German cars still seem to have a better focus on engineering.

Me, I'd get a Golf GTI over a Clio without a second thought, but if you simply want bang for the buck and aren't that worried about it falling to bits around you there's plenty of choice out there :)

Ha, I new the Clio wouldn't go down well. Its funny as all the reviews rave about how good it is. I looked at Golf GTi's but for my budget I wasn't getting anywhere close to the age + spec of the clio. I had a little 1.2 clio as a daily a few years back and actually found it very reliable.

In a word, maybe 2, build quality, French cars are built to last until just after the warranty runs out, German cars still seem to have a better focus on engineering.

This was summed up rather well a couple of years ago when Audi made an advert for the R8 that showed all the parts coming together nicely, Renault followed that with one showing everything being thrown at their car...

Audi

Renault

what you want is something with the build quality of an S Class and the driver focus of a Lotus, everyone has their own preference somewhere along that scale, it's easy to pick the wrong trade off though :)

Love that Renault vid :D

I don't think German cars deserve their reputation for quality anymore. And they certainly don't have a superior high ground to mock French cars with anymore, either.

I mean, the list of TSBs for the MK5 GTI is as long as your arm. TSBs being the fault notices dealerships receive from HO.

Off the top of my head:-

Rusty front wings

Rusty sills

Rust around tailgate release badge

Fuel line tapping the floor

Leaking servo (hissing sound in cabin)

Defective piston rings causing huge oil consumption

Front PCV breather valve failure

Split diaphragm in the diverter valve

Interior movement sensor failure

Alarm siren failure

Vehicle tilt sensor failure

Door lock module failure

In-tank pump overheating and causing fuel starvation

Defective low pressure sensor on mechanical fuel pump

Doors dropping

Boot light failure

Etc

And they rattle and squeak just as much as the MK4.

Obviously not every problem will be exhibited in every car and most of these are discovered in America first, due to the massive mileages they do, but it's still pretty schitt isn't it?

To go from the classic 80s MK2 Golf 'earring' advert, to that..... it's a poor show from VW.

Doesn't bother me personally. A car without issues is a very dull one indeed. I love having a reason to use my tools :D

Saying that, we must have the only good mk5. Had it from new on a 56 plate. Never had an advisory on an mot or anything go wrong apart from the infamous 2.0 tdi injectors going bad on us. Not a single rattle, squeak, pop or bang.

My Edition 30 has been great too. Only had a few of things on that list and the rattling in mine is probably down to previous owners. I pulled a load of amp wiring out of it, so it's stands to reason half the clips are missing from most of the panels!

It does feel solid though. French cars just 'feel' flimsy and cheaply made.

Similar for me unfortunately. I don't think I'll be selling it (who wants a leggy, scabby VR?), but think I'm going to be putting it away in a garage and forgetting about it for a while in the hope the love comes back and buying something else in the interim.

Similar for me unfortunately. I don't think I'll be selling it (who wants a leggy, scabby VR?), but think I'm going to be putting it away in a garage and forgetting about it for a while in the hope the love comes back and buying something else in the interim.

did that 10 years ago, and its still their. I normally get a bit of love back in the summer months when she has a bit of TLC.... it's nicer to drive a modern car in the winter months.

My Mk5 2.0tdi 140 has been utterly reliable- never gone wrong with tons of miles on it, it's a 58 plate on 165K, it's brisk enough.

I'm selling it because it's so bloody boring. Diesel never again (unless I get a T5)

It's like having an ugly wife that just wants to please you all the time and never puts a foot wrong, it just gets irritating.

Still could have been worse, I could have bought that silly petrol 1.4 superturbocharged abortion.

It's like having an ugly wife that just wants to please you all the time and never puts a foot wrong, it just gets irritating.

Hahaha Yeah I much prefer my good looking but argumentative bint that gets on my tits constantly. I'm getting to the point where I cause an argument just to get the silent treatment for a bit of P&Q :lol:

Back on topic - whenever I feel like I've had enough of my car a quick B-Road blast soon sorts the love out again. I think if I did finally throw it all in it for something more modern it would have to be an R32

Hahaha Yeah I much prefer my good looking but argumentative bint that gets on my tits constantly. I'm getting to the point where I cause an argument just to get the silent treatment for a bit of P&Q :lol:

Back on topic - whenever I feel like I've had enough of my car a quick B-Road blast soon sorts the love out again. I think if I did finally throw it all in it for something more modern it would have to be an R32

Yeah, perhaps I should make it clear though, that my wife is neither ugly or irritating!

Yeah, perhaps I should make it clear though, that my wife is neither ugly or irritating!

In your opinion. She drives ME up the wall!

:lol:

My neighbour walked down the drive last night, i was working on my new engine and he seemed to be trying to tell me I'm crazy for spending all the money i spend on it.

He asked me if someone offered me all the money back that i've spent on corrado so far. Would i take it rather than have the car?. I said no. If i bought a £10k-£13k car and kept it nearly 10yrs it would of cost me at least £20k imo in the end. (to do maintenance, modifying etc) and it would probably be worth £3-4k after 10yrs as well.

Corrado does everything i need, looks good, has the rarity factor, and people appreciate it as an older classic, rather than just a BMW on some fancy rims or a teenagers hot hatch that comes chavved up from the factory.

just imagine what it'll be like in 10 years time if we manage to keep them running..........we'll be skint haha

yeah for me if I wanted a new one now id look at the 32 or r.....but id quite like a mk2 vr alongside the rado before I think of newer type models

I grew out of mine because it was a daily and swerving around to avoid pot holes was getting tiring. There was no way to get the ride quality I wanted from the Corrado, short of retrofitting the entire MK5 chassis and running gear to it, so I gave up. It was a simple question of accept it for what it is, or move on. So using women as the metaphor again, I chopped her in for a younger and firmer model :D