michaelbailey

Brake caliper bolts. Stuck!

Anyone have to remove a very stubborn brake caliper bolts. Tried bringing heat to it. Tried an Irwin bolt. And obviously lots of wd. My next port of call was going to be welding to it and trying that but I'd rather not if I can. Anyone else managed another way. Thanks guys!

Are you on about the hex carrier bolts, they can be a right bitch to get off at times.

I take it your using a long breaker bar, of some sort

Stick a socket on it and give it a few smacks with a hammer to break the rust up, try tightening it then loosening as well. If not try an impact screwdriver, those things are brilliant

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah its a hex. Don't know what vw were thinking with them all over the place. And yeah got a fair bit of leverage on it. It just wants to round off which is the pain. I'm gonna let it settle and resume the onslaught on the bolt when I can. Not tried tightening and loosening though I'll give that a whirl thanks

internal hex? get a torx bit or spline bit one size up and smack the ******* in.

Had to do the same with the crank pulley bolts on my G60.

Always tap the Allen key into the bottom of the bolt hole before trying to undo the bolt.

internal hex? get a torx bit or spline bit one size up and smack the ******* in.

Had to do the same with the crank pulley bolts on my G60.

This. Then replace the bolts. I've had to do it lots of times over the years.

I normally end up using vice/mole grips, or using a hack saw and cutting the head off :lol: Always replace with another one, put some grease in the end and it should hopefully keep the dirt and water at bay.

If you have been able to get one undone I sometimes tap the caliper so it moves on the remaining bolt, usually loosens it enough.