razor344

Which one. G60. 16v or vr6

I'm looking into buying a corrado later in the year but not sure which model to go for.

I've previously driven a vr6 and felt there wasn't that much power considering it was a vr6

So what do I go for

Theres the 16v

Or the G60

What's the difference and can I look at engine mods etc

Thanks

Marc

If it was a VR6 you need to rev up to about 4000 revs and then the car will come alive.

If you don't think there much power in the VR6 you'll be sorely disappointed in the others. The G60 may feel a little more torquey low down, but it won't be in reality unless it's very highly strung. If your after serious power, find a supercharged or even better, turbo charged VR6. Hope you have deep pockets though

I think a lot of people are to use to 4 pot turbo cars these days with low end torque, you realy do have to rev out most 90s sport cars with large blocks.The bonus is you get to enjoy the engine as it goes up the rev counter. I had a S550 GT Mustang in 2016 and you just couldnt use the power and the traction was awful on UK greasey roads. had to swop out the stock Pirelli for MC Pilot Sports which did improve somewhat.I actually mistakingly did a 180 dougnut turning right at some traffic lights once looked a right hooligan . The best cars on uk car roads for performance and grip are hatchbacks like the Focus RS and Golf R. NO point going over 230 bhp on fwd cars in my opinion .

Edited by Keyo

I'm looking into buying a corrado later in the year but not sure which model to go for.

I've previously driven a vr6 and felt there wasn't that much power considering it was a vr6

So what do I go for

Theres the 16v

Or the G60

What's the difference and can I look at engine mods etc

Thanks

Marc

Please consider and this: http://www.vwsyncro.eu/p/g60-vs-vr6.html

But the best Corrado g60 is the Passat Syncro g60, (just an opinion).

The Syncro Heresy

Owning both a VR6 and a G60 I'd say go for the G60 with some decent mods, they're more fun to drive, cheaper to fix [as they're just an 8v Gti engine with a supercharger] and don't get caught up in the 'unreliable, expensive supercharger' stuff that you read everywhere, they just need servicing, which can easily be done yourself if you can wield a spanner, or costs circa £350/400 .. cheap compared to chains replacement on a VR6!

Anyway, as always probably better to buy the best you can afford, regardless of engine really :p drive both and see what you prefer.

Owning both a VR6 and a G60 I'd say go for the G60 with some decent mods, they're more fun to drive, cheaper to fix [as they're just an 8v Gti engine with a supercharger] and don't get caught up in the 'unreliable, expensive supercharger' stuff that you read everywhere, they just need servicing, which can easily be done yourself if you can wield a spanner, or costs circa £350/400 .. cheap compared to chains replacement on a VR6!

Anyway, as always probably better to buy the best you can afford, regardless of engine really :p drive both and see what you prefer.

Yes but charger rebuilds every 30-40k miles depending on state of tune, compared to chain replacement once in the engines lifetime is the difference

Yes but charger rebuilds every 30-40k miles depending on state of tune, compared to chain replacement once in the engines lifetime is the difference

Yep, and if I did 30k miles a year in my G60 that might be of minor concern

Price of other parts quickly negates the difference

How much is a chain replacement these days anyway? Over £1k I suspect

I had a G60 a few years back, it put out healthy power (around 180 bhp) but never felt particularly quick.

..and it sounded like a cement mixer :lol:

Whenever I drove it I always wished I'd taken the VR6. The VR just feels more special, and sounds great.

Sure, the VR6 not a rocket by modern day standards, but it's certainly no slouch when you get it revving.

I think its fair to say the majority of people looking for a Corrado these days will look for a VR6 with leather interior.

I think its fair to say the majority of people looking for a Corrado these days will look for a VR6 with leather interior.

This is true possibly because a original G60 is far rarer to find.

The G60 is rarer however the Vr6 is more sort after , there is no replacement for deplacement, the wookie growl wins .

I think there is a generic corrado buying guide here somewhere, not sure if its VR6 specific..

In my opinion which model to buy depends on what you want the car for, if your not going to do many miles and want a performance car especially if your going to tweek it then its a G60 all the way, but if your planning on regular long journeys to vist places etc then a VR6

Remember these are two very different cars and were marketed as such, the VR6 a touring coupe and the G60 a sports coupe, But pitting one against the other has been debated over many years on here with no real conclusion.

But If your looking for an investment car then the smart money is on a G60 as I said in a previous post they are rarer, the VR6 (apart from the storm) is more plentyful thats why more people tend buy them.

I'm fortunate to own two G60 Corrados, to satisfy my needs, one is modified for enhanced performance, and the other is a faily low milage example that I purchased eight years ago which I recently finished a five year long nut and bolt resto and is now 100% standard with original engine and forms part of my early retirement package £££

VR6 for me, or a G60 but felt 4 cylinder forced induction wasn't that special these days and big +6 cylinders are a dying breed.

No love for the 16v? I'm not disputing either the G60 or VR6 being great engines but a well tuned 16v is a great engine if you like to go for a blast, rev nicely and are typically a lot cheaper to buy initially

I had lightly tuned early 16v before my VR6 and I did like it I must be honest. I test drove a late 2.0 16v prior to buying it, and I thought it felt awfully underpowered. the early (1.8) 16v needed a good thrashing to get the best out of it, as like the VR6 it had a power band at about 4k rpm but really went well from there. They're lighter and as its narrow track as well, it really handled well. Unfortunately the Range Rover won with that one though. :(

I’ve had a bog standard G60, 2 standard VR6’s and now a Turbocharged VR6. I had the G60 when it was 3 years old and 19k miles, I had it a year. The standard VR6’s were older but proved more reliable over time than the G60 and more fun. The Turbo one I have now is something else, drives like normal VR6 if you want it to, you’d never know, give it some beans and you reach legal speeds limits in a flash.

It all depends what you want the car for, how often you’re going to drive it can be a factor, average mpg in a VR6 27, VR6T 20mpg G60 was more. But for £5k should get you a descent standard VR6 or G60, VR6T or modified G60 for that money may buy trouble. These cars are old, mines 27 years old, no matter what you buy, if you use it stuff breaks or stops working as it should. You don’t own a Corrado and expect it do 10k miles without something costing half a leg especially if your not on top of the todo list. Suspension , bushes, bearings, brake lines, bla bla. Same as any car out of warranty, but these are over 20 years old, but that’s what it’s all about, half the fun is the chase and the reward when it’s sorted.

Good luck with what ever you decide on, at least you have a budget to go look at something not covered in rust or that needs a complete tear down to fix and make good.

VR6 all the way , G60 in golf variation not that of the Corrado.

G60 owners maybe a minority on here now days, but this is a very divisive statement you made.. You clearly dislike the G60 and probably the 16v too, But care to elaborate further why you specifically think the G60 engine should only be in a golf ?.

This is always going to be a divisive question... There is no "best" because everyone has different requirements from their cars, there is only "different".

So, what's your requirement?

Fastest (standard) is obvs the VR6.

Cheapest to run? 2.0 8v.

Best handling? All of them have the same amount of grip and controllability, so there's literally no measurable difference. People may disagree on this one..

Which one to buy? I'd stick to a late car myself, just for pragmatic reasons. And if you can afford it why not have the VR6 for performance alone...?

Naturally none will be quick by modern standards but is that the reason you get a corrado? Perhaps not. For me i like the looks, sound of the vr and the uniqueness. And its not too complex to tinker with