razor344

Which one. G60. 16v or vr6

G60 owners maybe a minority on here now days, but this is a very divisive statement you made.. You clearly dislike the G60 and probably the 16v too, But care to elaborate further why you specifically think the G60 engine should only be in a golf ?.

I dont disagree that it should be in a Corrado or dislike it , but I prefer the Vr6 engine ,in a Golf it just had that rarity in the UK so made it preety cool.

Ok fair enough Keyo, its just when you stated "G60 in golf variation not that of the Corrado" I read it as like it should never been put in a Corrado

We all have our preferences, obviously mines a G60 powered Corrado for various reasons.

Ok fair enough Keyo, its just when you stated "G60 in golf variation not that of the Corrado" I read it as like it should never been put in a Corrado

We all have our preferences, obviously mines a G60 powered Corrado for various reasons.

Sure thing I will say I do agree the G60 does have rarirty and it is a cool VW brand and design. Does anyone own a Golf rallye on here think that is my all time favourite VW , just love the box wheel arches.

Sure thing I will say I do agree the G60 does have rarirty and it is a cool VW brand and design. Does anyone own a Golf rallye on here think that is my all time favourite VW , just love the box wheel arches.

i love the g60 engine thats why i chose it when getting a corrado - i had a rallye in 2000 and it cost me a fortune as it was just at an age that everything started to go wrong - abs pump various sensors suspension etc but worst of all was the exhaust as i like my cars as vw intended the cenre box alone was £1000 - BUT I LOVED IT and regretted having to sell it as it was sitting outside and where i lived car thieving scum operated. it was well speced with electric recaros etc - cant believe asking prices today as i sold mine for peanuts

its the g60 for me - just love the noise.

To be honest, if I won the lottery, I’d take a g60 and 16v and love them all. I went for the vr purely because I’ve been subject to 4 cylinder cars for years and I like the noise. Equally I like the supercharger whine and 16v howl. I don’t think I’d have regretted any purchase but knew I wanted more cylinders, irrational or not.

At the age the cars are they’ll need bodywork and a 16v might be the right choice to keep it going. A string of bodywork bills followed by chains or a supercharger might be enough to push you over the edge.

Why not get a well sorted 20vt version,

More power then a Vr, at motorway speeds mine returns 50 mpg ,done over 110k since it was converted, easier to do a cam belt then timing chains 😎

20vt? but.. four cylinder turbo is boring! Lol

I quite like not being part of the herd and having a proper old school six cylinder naturally aspirated engine. It's pretty quick, even by modern standards. It's the equal of a GTi (but not an R).

It's literally only in the last five years that some hot hatches have reached 300bhp and left it behind, and all of them do it with forced induction.

What I'd really like to see is an all-electric drivetrain conversion... :) A nice round 500lbft in insane mode.

Only a matter of time before we see our classics going electric

you can now!

there was a company at vw festival offering an electric conversion to a split screen camper for example only costs £35,000!

they can do most cars for about that money apparently lol

Yeah seen a few YouTube vids - guys in wales can covert anything. If I recall it was about half the price for a fiat 500 conversion.

I’d really miss the noise of a petrol engine though.

Yeah seen a few YouTube vids - guys in wales can covert anything. If I recall it was about half the price for a fiat 500 conversion.

I’d really miss the noise of a petrol engine though.

I saw a guy on youtube who converted a 964 into an electric car. I just thought you have butchered that car what ashame .

Edited by Keyo

Worry about getting the best condition Corrado for your money rather than what engine is in it. Given, the G60's and Vr6's will command the best price but there are a lot overpriced rough dogs out there that'll just become money pits. I personally prefer the G60 for it's simple mechanics, my experiences with Vr6 engined cars haven't been great but they do sound nice although a novelty that quickly wore off for me.

Worry about getting the best condition Corrado for your money rather than what engine is in it. Given, the G60's and Vr6's will command the best price but there are a lot overpriced rough dogs out there that'll just become money pits. I personally prefer the G60 for it's simple mechanics, my experiences with Vr6 engined cars haven't been great but they do sound nice although a novelty that quickly wore off for me.

I think if you picked one up for 3k and to get it up to a very good condition including all aspects of body work, interior, engine, electrics, suspension you can easily expect to pay twice/triple that amount over the next couple of years. If it's an honest car I dont mind getting one at 3k because all the parts are brand new youll fit and you get the rewards from renovating the car, also know the car like the back of your hand, probaly makes no commercial sense though so more of a hobby.The way I see it is most people loose at least a couple of grand each year through depreciation on newer cars so its fair enough.

Edited by Keyo

20vt? but.. four cylinder turbo is boring! Lol

I quite like not being part of the herd and having a proper old school six cylinder naturally aspirated engine. It's pretty quick, even by modern standards. It's the equal of a GTi (but not an R).

It's literally only in the last five years that some hot hatches have reached 300bhp and left it behind, and all of them do it with forced induction.

What I'd really like to see is an all-electric drivetrain conversion... :) A nice round 500lbft in insane mode.

Four cylinder turbo is boring? I beg to differ

I think a 20VT is fair cop for a 16 v or G60 if not able to replace with an original engine block, however the detail is in the name VR6 you need six firing to give it designation.

I think a 20VT is fair cop for a 16 v or G60 if not able to replace with an original engine block, however the detail is in the name VR6 you need six firing to give it designation.

Plus it’s easier to convert a 4cyl car to a 20vt vs a vr6. I’d probably pop another VR (12 or 24v) in mine if the worst happened.

I do have a hankering for a 16v on throttle bodies though. Would probably source it in a golf or Seat Ibiza to have something diff to the corrado though. I don’t care for out right speed these days - all engines in the corrado have enough for fun on our roads.

Now you've got me thinking! I wouldn't mind a 20VT in a Corrado - quite easy to tune, parts easily available, just wouldn't have the VR soundtrack but might be quite fun..

Yeah easy to tune, especially the BAM 225 variant. map will give 260+, hybrid KO4 will go 300+ and IHI etc will make 350. I've run modified 20VT's in the past.

But dare I say it... the engine is a bit on the dull side... compared to a later TFSI on full song it just seems a bit... well boring? don't get me wrong a great engine!

I'm the same as pfnsht these days, it's not all about out right speed which a 20VT will undoubtedly murder most in that department, its a bit more about soundtrack and the fun of driving it.