mnmv12

Scammed through wanted advert.

I’m almost too embarrassed to write this and admit that I was scammed through my wanted post. What an old fool I am, I know better than that and I should I seen it coming a mile away,  I just want the car back on the road so bad I lost my head for a minute. It wasn’t a lot of money but it’s the principle and you start to lose trust in everyone. 
Anyway a reminder to everyone, beware members who pm you directly and don’t be an idiot like me and do your research. I know, a lot of you have had this and spotted it straight away unfortunately desperation blinded me.

I will put this down to experience and be grateful it was just a few quid and not my life savings

P.S avoid member by the name of Gerald Hardwell or Andy Harnett!

5 hours ago, mnmv12 said:

I’m almost too embarrassed to write this and admit that I was scammed through my wanted post. What an old fool I am, I know better than that and I should I seen it coming a mile away,  I just want the car back on the road so bad I lost my head for a minute. It wasn’t a lot of money but it’s the principle and you start to lose trust in everyone. 
Anyway a reminder to everyone, beware members who pm you directly and don’t be an idiot like me and do your research. I know, a lot of you have had this and spotted it straight away unfortunately desperation blinded me.

I will put this down to experience and be grateful it was just a few quid and not my life savings

P.S avoid member by the name of Gerald Hardwell or Andy Harnett!

Yes, I've received mails from those usernames. Reported them. Sorry to hear this happened to you though

If you used PayPal f&f you can stil claim off the source you paid PayPal with (credit or debit card).

it usually takes a while, but you will eventually get your money back.

if you do similar again ask for pics of the items with a piece of paper with the sellers name and date on - at least that shows they own the items?

Edited by Dox

1 hour ago, Dox said:

If you used PayPal f&f you can stil claim off the source you paid PayPal with (credit or debit card).

it usually takes a while, but you will eventually get your money back.

if you do similar again ask for pics of the items with a piece of paper with the sellers name and date on - at least that shows they own the items?

Thanks, I will try that.

Anyway to lessen the pain I ordered a pair of Eibach front springs from Autodoc. I will report back on the ride height when I get them fitted.

3 hours ago, mnmv12 said:

Thanks, I will try that.

Anyway to lessen the pain I ordered a pair of Eibach front springs from Autodoc. I will report back on the ride height when I get them fitted.

I had an Audi a2 sport and ordered individual eibach standard springs of AUTODOC, they messaged to say I’d picked the wrong ones. Spot on when the ones they chose arrived.

Does take a while for some things to be arrive

Edited by Dox

I have had messages direct from those names offering me a starter motor - i actually replied but told them another member had offered but if he does not come through i will be in contact to purchase it  - thanks for the info

SCUMBAGS

Yea I’ve been using Autodoc for a few years now. I like being able to select a brand and I have never had any problems with them swapping items for other brands which some people have had. They seem to be much quicker now guess they must have sorted their Brexit paperwork.

New thread needed for all to see who's PMing to scam?

Good idea, anything that raises awareness of these degenerate scumbags has to be a good thing for everyone on here.This is the mail I got. The banner at the top is a link to the forum

44A5C001-51A3-45E8-B9FE-87EA9AF13618.png

10 hours ago, mnmv12 said:

Good idea, anything that raises awareness of these degenerate scumbags has to be a good thing for everyone on here.This is the mail I got. The banner at the top is a link to the forum

44A5C001-51A3-45E8-B9FE-87EA9AF13618.png

Almost word for word to the message i received from Geraldharwell:

hello are you still interested in getting this?.
you can contact andy he has a Central locking pump connector for sale........... PM him @ andyhartnett283@gmail.com

Same here - reported it and ignored - very obvious scam, just picked a wanted post with unobtainium NLA part which a "friend" has plenty of. Mods should ban the accounts.

Edited by fendervg

Forum rule should be deals done in open sight on the board, not by PMs

PMs only once the deal is sealed for payment and address details etc

Then if spotted Toby can take action

Absolutely - it's always very suspect when someone offers somethign directly by PM wihtout even replying in the thread - and don't get me started on the "friend of a friend" part - but with parts so hard to come by, we are all potential victims. So sorry to hear someone got scammed and hope it gets sorted or at least that it wasn't too much.

I would only buy on here or off FB from people who have been around a long time.

I used to have moderator rights, but not any more - cab someon with admin privs please jsut block/disable the user account in question?

Generally, nothing should go via PMs (especially a classified/want) unless there has already been communication in an open thread. Direct PMs about some item you were looking for elsewhere that a "friend" has, are a sure no no.

Not sure anymore - Toby is the site owner and admin, and there was a group of users who were given moderator rights to cut down on spam and scammers. I used to have the rights, but don't anymore - there will "moderator" instread of "subscriber" underneath the user avatar picture on the left of the post.

sorry to read this today & i do hope paypal help to sort the problem

i still mod on here as much as i am able to but the change of job does mean im not on here every day like i used to be

with regard to these messages & posts i thought i had stemmed it after receiving & taking action on the reports logged with the user being banned & posts deleted, screen shot below

image.thumb.png.2f196c965b88035593ef9b6d578251bf.png

i can only think that the PM was sent before i had put the ban in place

I'm on here pretty much every day as I work from home, so if you want to add me back in I'm happy to help out again. I think what happened is that the setting was reverted when membership sub renewed.

I seem to have lost my moderator status as well, I tried to find that guy to ban him but I found it very difficult to even find him, and when I did I got no options to do anything.

I’ll email Toby and ask the question about fendervg and myself 👍