Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

What is your 16v spec & how much power does it produce?

What modifications have you tried, or is it standard and your happy with its performance?

What works, what doesn't?

My mods

9A engine (2.0 16v) running standard ke-motronic injection.

KR inlet cam - The best modification so far, £20 second hand & I fitted it myself. I tried Schrick 268/276 cams, but it was slower and much less refined. After lots of messing around with ignition and valve timing I gave up and sold them.

Gas flowed head and manifolds - Similar effect to KR cam, but cost me £100 approx and about 4 days work, again I did it myself after loads of research.

Lightened flywheel - Standard flywheel machined down by Race Power Motorsport. £80 More lively in 1st & 2nd gears with no loss of driveability. I'd recommend doing this if the gearbox is out for another reason, i.e. clutch.

Jetex replacement air filter - Very slight performance difference £27.75 fro C&R.

Cold air intake - I have ducted cold air from behind the grill into the airbox, the performance is the same as drilled airbox, but slightly less noise.

Magnex cat back exhaust - This was already fitted when I bought the car, so I cannot comment on performance gains.

Cat by pass - This was also fitted when I bought the car, had to by a Cat to pass MOT. I now have the cat permanently fitted, its seems to have better mid-range power with it.

Throttle bodies - I would love to have these, but probably won't get them due to cost.

My power output is in my signature. Not bad considering the money spent or not.

Standard 136 bhp 1.8 KR

it was rolling roaded and put out 144bhp

I have a firebreather to fit but the wifes put the brand new box under the stairs and isnt having any of it.........

Was using 1.8 with 2 exhaust cams,stainless zorst and 4 branch and my car made 162.3bhp(27 bhp increase cost me less than £500!). Since the dyno,ive fitted a 50mm manifold and v-sam so not sure on power.Sold my firebreather tho :drinking:

1.8 KR Milltek exhaust and K&N just serviced and tuned by my brother who is a mercedes technician :D getting theses cars set up right makes a huge difference, this car really goes well people tend to knock the 16 valvers but if driven hard they perform well, I gave a Civic Type R a shock the other day on the boil between third a fourth i was on him like a ton of bricks he must have thought i was a VR6 :evil: I have driven a mates standard G60 and even he said mine felt quicker :D

2ltr 16v - dont know my specs - would love to know though- how much does it cost to find out an how much to get her tuned?

has eaten 2.0ltr mr2s though si she is prety quick cos there 172ish bhp- dont know how though mabe it is just the exceloration on the valver that is quick?

anny ideas?

Throttle bodies - I would love to have these, but probably won't get them due to cost.

So how much do throttle bodies cost?

Cheers :wink:

1.8 16v KR with 2 exhaust cams, K&N panel filter and a Powerflow SS exhaust. It was 150bhp at the flywheel, 105bhp at the wheels. 126lbf-ft of torque at 5840rpm.

This was however before the head rebuild, and I'm not taking it above 4000 revs for the moment :-)

I have no definate prices, but I think you'd need at around £1500, but it depends what you go for. From what I have read on Glub GTI's forum, I should be able to get around 200 BHP by converting to these.

Joby, I had a little go a a Civic Type R too, and was suprised how well my Corrado did against it.

Mistrall, when I had my car on the rolling road, it was £30 if I remember correctly, but that was part of a group booking through the forum.

There are lots of tuners around the country who would put it on their rollers for you. It depends on your spec tuning wise, mine is all set up to standard factory settings.

1.8 with a k&n pannel, drilled airbox and a custom downpipe-back exhaust system. Car was standard when i bought it and the mods have made things a little more responsive, before it felt like it was always being held back. saying that the original system was pretty goosed! not sure what the output is but its easily as quick as my mates mgtf 135 which is a good 12 years newer and lighter (i think?). I should really get it set up properly though since it pinks quite alot at haigh revs, probably just needs more fuel to compensate for the extra air-flow. anyone got a rough price for an engine tune-up?

Phil,

Put a 9a 2L block in mine

Piper cams, Lightened flywheel,full stainless from mainfold,piper filter,runing the 1.8 injection, Rolling roaded at 155bhp with blowing standard exahust noticed major differance when got the stainless on..! not sure what shes pushing now

I have no definate prices, but I think you'd need at around £1500, but it depends what you go for. From what I have read on Glub GTI's forum, I should be able to get around 200 BHP by converting to these.

Joby, I had a little go a a Civic Type R too, and was suprised how well my Corrado did against it.

Mistrall, when I had my car on the rolling road, it was £30 if I remember correctly, but that was part of a group booking through the forum.

There are lots of tuners around the country who would put it on their rollers for you. It depends on your spec tuning wise, mine is all set up to standard factory settings.

Quality, cheers dude :wink:

Stealth racing did mine.Costs about £50ish quid and they can get about 155bhp from a standard 136bhp engine just with a tune!!!!!!!!!!

Stealth racing did mine.Costs about £50ish quid and they can get about 155bhp from a standard 136bhp engine just with a tune!!!!!!!!!!

wow if yu guys can back those figures up im straight down there during the week - how long did it take man?

Im not taking the p***! Standard valvers on k-jet run lean at the top end.Stealth advance the ignition timing to its optimum setting then do a modification to the warm up reg which increses the fuelling across the rev range and prevents pinking,also sets co level to optimum.Took my motor in and it done 120bhp due to a sheared woodruff key in cam,stealth done there magic and 2hours later i had 162bhp.Cost me £160 for 2 hours on rollers,including removing the cams and supply and fit new cam sprocket.

I drove from the Isle of Wight and it was definatley worth my while,he let me take it round the block before i paid for it aswell.

As for figures,if mines making 27bhp more from an inlet cam, 4 branch and stealth tune thats got to be the proof in the pudding??

obviously the car was not running properly hence the poor power output,a fully sorted car can give a bit more power than vw figures as vw tend to give out figures that are slightly lower than what the car really develops so with the mods he has i dont think he is taking the piss he obviously has a strong healthy engine that has responded well to the mods and to fine tuning

Unfortunatly there isnt anyone else i know of that do the secret stealth mods.I know how they are done tho!

So then, so far Flusted and I share the highest BHP!! I reckon there must be people with higher power from a valver on here.

Thorpey's looks like the highest spec to me, but no power figures...