Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

2 hours ago, Dox said:

GnG? Did he loctite it back on?

Yes, GnG. Unsure mate, I just took it out of the box, cleaned it and fitted it.

I’ll look back at his email to see if he mentioned it 👍

a0a78c9f3ba1c42d5f10fb0a56a0feba.jpg

With 6 bolts and 3 dowels it’s not going anywhere, the pressure plate is also bolted up to it. I have a GnG lightened FW on the shelf.

I should have the pistons out tomorrow, so far apart from the bore scoring everything looks in vgc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rods look ok, bearings too - but they’ve got to be cleaned up yet. Piston rings are semi seized as are the fudge on pins due to my lack of activity with the car

10f3bf33801be65c3dad28466cc96e7f.jpg

Rods look ok, bearings too - but they’ve got to be cleaned up yet. Piston rings are semi seized as are the fudge on pins due to my lack of activity with the car

10f3bf33801be65c3dad28466cc96e7f.jpg

a0a78c9f3ba1c42d5f10fb0a56a0feba.jpg

With 6 bolts and 3 dowels it’s not going anywhere, the pressure plate is also bolted up to it. I have a GnG lightened FW on the shelf.

I should have the pistons out tomorrow, so far apart from the bore scoring everything looks in vgc

I've had a couple of flywheels like that, I just presumed it was a different design.. never gave me any issues

Bumper, grill, lights all back on the front. Bled brakes , stripped thread on right rear bleed nipple, new calliper required!

It’s not like I was going to tax it 1st April this year after all.

2 hours ago, tonedef said:

Bumper, grill, lights all back on the front. Bled brakes , stripped thread on right rear bleed nipple, new calliper required!

It’s not like I was going to tax it 1st April this year after all.

Noooo. Why does something always have to go wrong. Especially when you just can not go out and get a part. Nice to have Corrado time though 👍

29 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Noooo. Why does something always have to go wrong. Especially when you just can not go out and get a part. Nice to have Corrado time though 👍

I’m not going to let it get me down, Teves 20 installed and an ABS light that actually goes off now, I can live with buying a new pair of rear callipers as they’re only a scruffy pair of Mk4s off eBay. Glad I never got around to sending them to Bigg Red over the winter, then I’d be a bit miffed!

Couldn't you drill and retap, or use a helicoil Tony?

If you get stuck I've got a spare set of mk4 rears

4 hours ago, fla said:

Couldn't you drill and retap, or use a helicoil Tony?

If you get stuck I've got a spare set of mk4 rears

I thought about it Hasan but I only have standard M8 and M10 helicoil kits kicking around, I didn't take the nipple out but I'm fairly certain they're a fine thread? Plus as I said, they're only a scruffy pair I picked up on eBay when I was first messing with the Mk4 set up, there are refurbed sets for £99 a pair so I thought I'd just pick one of those up.

I made a tracing of the vinyl part that the rear spoiler  rubber sits against on the tailgate. WTF 😂 !!

Just need to find what the material is now..

20200331_173036.jpg

Well I’ve now bought my second 46mm spanner to remove the crank pulley, y to he first wouldn’t stay on the pulleys hex, the second held well enough for this to happen.
1e7877a01ffa69d1570502634071b5c1.jpg

30 years I’ve had that bar [sobs]

I had real trouble with the crank pulley as well, in the end it took 2 of us, breaker bar with 7ft pipe extension, crank jammed up with a few bits of strategically placed wood, when it cracked it was like a gunshot, wouldn’t have surprised me if the bar had snapped or indeed the bolt but thankfully not

Ha, it's the only engine/bay bolt I've not got a replacement for! Think I'll just spray it with a bit of silver paint now! Lol. Aren't they reverse thread as well? 

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

Ha, it's the only engine/bay bolt I've not got a replacement for! Think I'll just spray it with a bit of silver paint now! Lol. Aren't they reverse thread as well? 

No, normal thread, just unbelievably tight.

I’ll need a new one I guess 😁

Angle grinder wins the day

4f102f0a2b7523981aacb637a519f74f.jpg

9be4436d994456894db226790a1e8512.jpg

Crank pulley bolt is no longer an issue

On 3/28/2020 at 4:55 PM, tonedef said:

I’m not going to let it get me down, Teves 20 installed and an ABS light that actually goes off now, I can live with buying a new pair of rear callipers as they’re only a scruffy pair of Mk4s off eBay. Glad I never got around to sending them to Bigg Red over the winter, then I’d be a bit miffed!

Hello mate,

Any chance I can pick your brain for a couple of questions ?😁

1. what did you do with your mounting bracket?

I’m thinking cut the back off the corrado one and weld it onto the new one? Keeps the original holes/bolts easy enough? Or drill 3 holes in the new one? Then trim the sides off?

2. What switch did you use? I’ve got a variety here but not the correct Passat one. The mk3 golf one would be correct but the pin arrangement is different than what I have. I only have the existing wiring for the switch, somehow don’t have that bit from the donor

3. Wiring. I sort of understand but might be getting it wrong. I’ve screenshot what I’ve been looking at but I’m unsure what the vss block is?

v speed signal? 

thanks in advance 😁

24A88868-A10E-4048-B5E2-276C9245BB29.png

71081D43-A994-4FCA-80F5-9C2459450EEA.png

8 hours ago, easypops said:

Hello mate,

Any chance I can pick your brain for a couple of questions ?😁

1. what did you do with your mounting bracket?

I’m thinking cut the back off the corrado one and weld it onto the new one? Keeps the original holes/bolts easy enough? Or drill 3 holes in the new one? Then trim the sides off?

2. What switch did you use? I’ve got a variety here but not the correct Passat one. The mk3 golf one would be correct but the pin arrangement is different than what I have. I only have the existing wiring for the switch, somehow don’t have that bit from the donor

3. Wiring. I sort of understand but might be getting it wrong. I’ve screenshot what I’ve been looking at but I’m unsure what the vss block is?

v speed signal? 

thanks in advance 😁

24A88868-A10E-4048-B5E2-276C9245BB29.png

71081D43-A994-4FCA-80F5-9C2459450EEA.png

I started doing a write up when I fitted mine but haven't finished it yet, of course I was planning to tax it 1st April and give it a test run first before I committed to it being fixed but it's still on sorn, no point taxing it to sit in the garage is there? I followed a post by P3rks  for a lot of it https://the-corrado.net/topic/71162-teves-20-abs-system-parts-list/?tab=comments#comment-867292 I should probably have read his bit about the lamp better too but that came later.

For the bracket, yes I did just what you're saying i.e. cut the back plate from the Corrado one and the top plate from the Golf one. I welded the Golf section to the Corrado one having used the pipes from the Golf to give me a measure of where the pump needed to fit. Once painted and bolted in it looks like it belongs there.

For the lamp, I initially thought I'd use the golf one with the Corrado lens fitted but the housing is just too big to fit the dash without butchering it. I bought a Passat lamp from Lithuania on eBay, which turned out to be the wrong Passat one! So I bought the right one from Germany on eBay. You're looking for the 3A0 919 235 AF, not just the A as that, like the Corrado one, will come on continuously. The Corrado lens fits on it and you'd never know it was different. I made my own wiring up pinning the plugs to match what it needs, note that as with the Corrado and Golf the wiring for the lamp all goes to plug X on there relay plate:

Lamp Pin 2 (31), Brown wire to X/2

Lamp Pin 3 (15), Black wire to X/4

Lamp Pin 4 (ABS), Yellow/Red wire to X/5

Lamp Pin 5 (EDL), Grey Green wire to X/3

I had to snip the wires to the airbag lamp in the housing as that came on and stayed on permanently with the ignition on.

The VSS block is on the top of the relay plate, all the speed signals are taken from that one place, you can't miss it as there will be a number of blue/white wires plugged in together.

Everything now seems to work fine, VCDS reads no faults and the lamp comes on then goes off exactly as it should when I start up. With it running, if I disconnect a sensor the lamp comes on and the code reads correctly in VDCS, just need to drive it now to be 100%. I've got some new rear callipers coming this week and then I'll try it down the drive and see what happens.

What are you using for a servo? Mine came without one so I bought a Passat one from autodoc, the studs on the Corrado one aren't in the correct alignment for the Golf/Passat master cylinder anyway. I know people have used the Golf one but others have said that the modifications required were questionable. Also, I don't know if it's because I have OBD2 also but the fluid reservoir sits forwards at a bit of an angle and the lid is just rubbing on the throttle body inlet pipe, I'm going to look out for one of the earlier rubber ones to see if that can be made to fit better or one day I'll find it's rubbed through.

I tried attaching a couple of files here but it's not working, I'll try message them to you after.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by tonedef
Spelling mistake!

25 minutes ago, tonedef said:

I started doing a write up when I fitted mine but haven't finished it yet, of course I was planning to tax it 1st April and give it a test run first before I committed to it being fixed but it's still on sorn, no point taxing it to sit in the garage is there? I followed a post by P3rks  for a lot of it https://the-corrado.net/topic/71162-teves-20-abs-system-parts-list/?tab=comments#comment-867292 I should probably have read his bit about the lamp better too but that came later.

For the bracket, yes I did just what you're saying i.e. cut the back plate from the Corrado one and the top plate from the Golf one. I welded the Golf section to the Corrado one having used the pipes from the Golf to give me a measure of where the pump needed to fit. Once painted and bolted in it looks like it belongs there.

For the lamp, I initially thought I'd use the golf one with the Corrado lens fitted but the housing is just too big to fit the dash without butchering it. I bought a Passat lamp from Lithuania on eBay, which turned out to be the wrong Passat one! So I bought the right one from Germany on eBay. You're looking for the 3A0 919 235 AF, not just the A as that, like the Corrado one, will come on continuously. The Corrado lens fits on it and you'd never know it was different. I made my own wiring up pinning the plugs to match what it needs, note that as with the Corrado and Golf the wiring for the lamp all goes to plug X on there relay plate:

Lamp Pin 2 (31), Brown wire to X/2

Lamp Pin 3 (15), Black wire to X/4

Lamp Pin 4 (ABS), Yellow/Red wire to X/5

Lamp Pin 5 (EDL), Grey Green wire to X/3

I had to snip the wires to the airbag lamp in the housing as that came on and stayed on permanently with the ignition on.

The VSS block is on the top of the relay plate, all the speed signals are taken from that one place, you can't miss it as there will be a number of blue/white wires plugged in together.

Everything now seems to work fine, VCDS reads no faults and the lamp comes on then goes off exactly as it should when I start up. With it running, if I disconnect a sensor the lamp comes on and the code reads correctly in VDCS, just need to drive it now to be 100%. I've got some new rear callipers coming this week and then I'll try it down the drive and see what happens.

What are you using for a servo? Mine came without one so I bought a Passat one from autodoc, the studs on the Corrado one aren't in the correct alignment for the Golf/Passat master cylinder anyway. I know people have used the Golf one but others have said that the modifications required were questionable. Also, I don't know if it's because I have OBD2 also but the fluid reservoir sits forwards at a bit of an angle and the lid is just rubbing on the throttle body inlet pipe, I'm going to look out for one of the earlier rubber ones to see if that can be made to fit better or one day I'll find it's rubbed through.

I tried attaching a couple of files here but it's not working, I'll try message them to you after.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Hello mate,

Thank you for that, great help. I got those files but I’ll need to look again at them as I’ve always found these things a bit if a brain melter 🤣

I know exactly what you mean now for the vss block 👍

I’ve got the golf servo, which will need that questionable modification. Any chance you have a link to the one you bought?

I’m also going OBD2 with a Schrick but as nothing is in yet I’ve no idea how it’ll sit. I do have one if the early rubber tb pipe so fingers crossed.

I’ll order up one of those switches then. I have the golf one which has almost the identical diagram on the reverse but that would involve some serious butchery I fear, no point when I can get a better option.

Thank you for the pipe work document, that’ll help for sure. Any chance you might have a picture of how you ran the pipes at the rear beam? The bit where the rear bias valve was. I’m in zero rush for that bit though as I’m only interested in getting the front section done just now. But if this lockdown continues I might get further along than I first thought 👍😁

3 hours ago, easypops said:

Hello mate,

Thank you for that, great help. I got those files but I’ll need to look again at them as I’ve always found these things a bit if a brain melter 🤣

I know exactly what you mean now for the vss block 👍

I’ve got the golf servo, which will need that questionable modification. Any chance you have a link to the one you bought?

I’m also going OBD2 with a Schrick but as nothing is in yet I’ve no idea how it’ll sit. I do have one if the early rubber tb pipe so fingers crossed.

I’ll order up one of those switches then. I have the golf one which has almost the identical diagram on the reverse but that would involve some serious butchery I fear, no point when I can get a better option.

Thank you for the pipe work document, that’ll help for sure. Any chance you might have a picture of how you ran the pipes at the rear beam? The bit where the rear bias valve was. I’m in zero rush for that bit though as I’m only interested in getting the front section done just now. But if this lockdown continues I might get further along than I first thought 👍😁

The servo was bought from online car parts but arrived in an autodoc box https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ate-191796.html It's a genuine ATE one which is what I was looking for, I was struggling at the time to confirm the part number but took a punt and it was fine.

I sold my Schrick when I went to OBD2 as it was OBD1 and the adapter piece was a fortune. I've never come across a later one, although I haven't looked hard, I was always struggling for space when I had the huge old Passat a/c condenser fitted as I had to move the radiator back a bit into the bay which then caused issues with the Schrick. I've got a Golf Mk4 condenser nowadays so could get some of the space back if I really needed to I guess. I did consider the US style late Golf VR6 variable inlet as it's a direct OBD2 fit but then the throttle body's on the wrong side so a whole new world of pain!

I'll get some photos of the rear beam pipework later, the bias valve is bypassed but currently still there because I can't get the bolts out.

this week i has mostly been in the workshop high as a kite on bloody glue fumes sticking down bits of leather on the backs of the door cards

having last week cleaned & conditioned all the leather whilst it is all out of the VR6

seriously hoping the VR is ready to come back home the end of this week as this is now week 8 of the body restoration

Did the front door card speaker upgrade. I chose the Alpine as they were £28 in Halfords and I had a 20 pounds voucher,  so win win. I'm no music freak but this seemed sensible to do whilst the car is in bits. 

Straight swap.. .Shallower, Fixing holes line up but do need widening out otherwise you risk breaking the fixing tabs. I used a 6.5mm drill bit as it fit perfectly in the old speaker holes.  Just waiting for the £2.49 ebay wiring adaptors to turn up. 😊 An easy job for once 👌Highly recommend, if they work..

20200408_105357.jpg

20200408_105416.jpg

20200408_110215.jpg

20200408_105927.jpg