Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Another year, another MoT!

No problems, no advisories just showed me a bit of an oil leak around the filter 👍

I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Like the rest of us. Shame really as I need to order some replacement screws and dont seem to get round to it.....

Damn it is quiet on here.  Zzzzzz

33 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Like the rest of us. Shame really as I need to order some replacement screws and dont seem to get round to it.....

I know, I’m massively guilty of doing nothing as well. Life has just been in the way for months now, can’t seem to find any spare time at all.

Can’t stay this way forever, work must quieten down at some point 🤞🤣

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

True. I still check in every few hours to see if there are any interesting updates etc. Get Kevhaywire back on here again!

1 hour ago, easypops said:

I know, I’m massively guilty of doing nothing as well. Life has just been in the way for months now, can’t seem to find any spare time at all.

Can’t stay this way forever, work must quieten down at some point 🤞🤣

You've been missed mate 

18 hours ago, Cressa said:

im still polishing, hours & hours of polishing lol

still, am on the last face finally & then they are off for a redrill

2 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

im still polishing, hours & hours of polishing lol

still, am on the last face finally & then they are off for a redrill

any pics?

1 hour ago, fla said:

will you be lacquering them?  Some fantastic work there

thanks Fla - polishing takes so much time but the final result will be well worth it

plan is to have the centre faces bead blasted & then powder coated white, then have the entire face clear powder coated to preserve the polished edges

im also going to have the barrels clear powder coated & am hoping they can retain the original autostrada stickers on the inside of the barrels

they will then be finished with white centre covers, black hex nut, white centres with gold modena writing & stainless split pins

oh & oil slick bolts & valve caps

18 hours ago, Cressa said:

Oh I want one those.  Great piece of kit

That's pretty cool in fairness - looks like cat litter they're using.

Haha - one hour later, shiny shiny, two hours later - only half a wheel left etc.

13 minutes ago, fendervg said:

That's pretty cool in fairness - looks like cat litter they're using.

Haha - one hour later, shiny shiny, two hours later - only half a wheel left etc.

A 9kg wheel becomes an 8kg wheel

TBF to get a mirror finish you have to use an extremely light abrasive so it would remove hardly any material at all

i went through 4 stages of different polishing wheels, each having its own grade of compound - which is in addition to starting with foam backed polishing pads of 600, 1000, 2000, 3000

6 minutes ago, Dox said:

A 9kg wheel becomes an 8kg wheel

that reminds me, i must weigh the modena's as when i had stripped them down it became apparent that they are aluminium barrels & are super light

all the weight is in the faces & id like to know how they compare to the 7kg of the OE speedlines (IIRC)

finally finished all the edge polishing this morning

next step get them booked in the machine shop for redrill

i am thinking of taping over the polished edges so they dont get marked during the redrill but want tape which wont leave a residue when removed - i was thinking electrical tape but does anyone have any other ideas

or maybe a car body tape like that a paint shop would use when taping off complex paint jobs, however ive no idea what to google for it

1 hour ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

finally finished all the edge polishing this morning

next step get them booked in the machine shop for redrill

i am thinking of taping over the polished edges so they dont get marked during the redrill but want tape which wont leave a residue when removed - i was thinking electrical tape but does anyone have any other ideas

or maybe a car body tape like that a paint shop would use when taping off complex paint jobs, however ive no idea what to google for it

I hate to say it, but I would have had them drilled before polishing. 
You want something like they stick on the side of new cars when transporting them from the factory. It’s sticky but not tacky.

They look very nice by the way 👍

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I hate to say it, but I would have had them drilled before polishing. 
You want something like they stick on the side of new cars when transporting them from the factory. It’s sticky but not tacky.

They look very nice by the way 👍

yeah if im honest shaun i did think that too about the order im doing things but i will be giving the polishing a final once over & then lime powder finishing to remove any lingering grease before they go off to the powder coaters

sticky not tacky is the one - i will have a look about

& thanks, i am starting to get excited about finishing them now & cant wait to see them on 😄

Don't use electrical tape, it will leave residue especially if it gets hot. 3m masking tape (blue) is the best and leaves no residue which is what you've suggested - used by body shops. Comes in different widths too so you can get good coverage.