Sign in to follow this  
20v turbo

deleting roof trims

right after trying to mend the sunroof on saturday and ending up with a dent (outwards) in the roof :mad: i decided to delete the roof trims in the process of mending the dent being that i'de have to spray the roof anyway,well this was the excuse to the wife anyway as seen as i'm not doing her's :twisted:

I've been looking into doing this also. It has been strongly suggested to me that I have them lead filled to prevent any sagging etc! Will fiberglass do the same or in years to come does this risk sagging?

All the same woudl love to see the finished article - Good work fella!!!

thats not a bad idea im feelin that :D next possible thing to do i cant leave the c as it is its like a diease :oops:

Blue_Joe,

well mate time will tell but going on the addvice of a guy who builds fiberglass racecar bodys for a living he seem to think there shouldnt be any problems so long as you prep it right ie get all the paint off under the fiberglass.

Good work....friend of mine had this done on his scirocco, but used filler....now its sagged! Hope you don't get the same problem with fibrglass. To be fair I can't see the fibreglass sagging, people make sub boxes out of the stuff, and they definately don't move 8)

looks good ... wouldn't it of been easier to tack strips over the rain channels them skim over them ? good work though ...

nearly finished now just got to put the trims back on and its done.i'm pleased with it appart from a couple of bits that landed in the wet paint should flat out though 8)

Very cool! :)

Should help stop that appalling Corrado feature when there is water on the roof and you put on the brakes only to be greeted by a waterfall through the window.

Classic design!! :|

fibreglass?!?!?! what a bodge!

you've just ruined your car......it's bound to crack and/or blister up, and it'll look an absolute mess when it does.

you've just ruined your car......it's bound to crack and/or blister up, and it'll look an absolute mess when it does.

:lol: don't beat around the bush, say what you mean and mean what you say!

Seriously tho time will tell, good effort.

Bit harsh that mate!! Whether you agree with using fibreglass or not, from the pictures it looks like Andy's done a top job there!! ;-)

Looks good. I've always liked this mod ever since i saw a20 lees. Hope its lasts matie!

PhatVR6,

how do you get i've ruined my car,its fibreglass nothing that cant be removed and i presume your talking from self experiance when you say it will crack or blister and if it does then it will be fixed.

Yes, I've been stung in the past by shoody bodyshops using too much fibreglass and filler. I detest the stuff and despise seeing it used.

MY arches were only meant to take a week, but I made the guy keep beating the arches for another week as I wasn't happy with the amount of filler he was using.

As for ruined.....well, have you seen what happens when water gets behind the filler? it gets to the bare metal and rots it away unseen for years. then when it finally blisters up and you get round to doing anything about it it's too late as the panel has already rotted away underneath.

phatVR6 wrote

have you seen what happens when water gets behind the filler? it gets to the bare metal and rots it away unseen for years

well that can be said about alot of things so lets hope you put that underseal on well.

From what ive seen of Andys and his wifes cars he doesnt cut corners and bodge..............looks perfect from the pics but as with anything time will tell. Fingers are crossed mate LOL

phatVR6 wrote

have you seen what happens when water gets behind the filler? it gets to the bare metal and rots it away unseen for years

well that can be said about alot of things so lets hope you put that underseal on well.

well I've used genuine VAG zinc primer spray and underseal so it should be as good as it was done in the factory.

:lol: Mr Papermashy

Looks like a top job but i actually think it looks better with the roof trims! It kinda reminds me of my old mini without them!

well i think this looks awesome! im getting the car resprayed hopefully so i think i may as well get this done at the same time!

is there anything else you can recommend smooting out while im at it?

cheers