Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

Great news mate! Looking forward to hearing more good news as this finally all comes together! :)

Right, exhaust was refitted this morning and I have cured the radiator leak (didn't do the coolant temp sensor up past finger tight (duh!)

Only let it run up to temp and then turned it off as the radiator electric fan is not currently connected. All seems good, idle is very stable, you can hear when the lambda adaption is kicking in and not too much smoke etc coming from the breather assembly.

Only slight snag is one of the pulleys is making a right noise, sounds like the bearings are knackered, so it sounds terrible right now - especially as the noise is amplified in the garage.

Need to get the fan wired up and drop the oil and coolant now is been around the block etc and picked up all the debris, then its tidy the wiring, cut the intercooler pipework down a bit where it goes into the throttle body as its a bit too long, tidy the wiring up, fit the G60 PAS reservoir properly, front end back on and then onto running in and test drive! :clap:

good stuff.So it is truly alive. :)

So you have started it running on the standard digifant g60 Map?

No, its using the BBM 16vG60 chip I got with their kit. It's running a little rich on start up (not a bad thing and way better than running lean) and I really need to set the timing up correctly along with the idle settings (although the rev counter is refusing to work at the moment, need to put the MFA in diagnostic mode).

Off out to the garage now to remove some of the items from the list, might get a video of it running and stick it on you tube. The velocity of the air coming out of the exhaust is huge, might need to think about some larger pipework (currently 2.5")

Got the slam panel cut down to fit, waiting on a hose joiner so I can finish the mods to the PAS plumbing, a couple of different intercooler hoses to try and improve the clearance around the battery, some OE style cloth wiring loom tape and another piece of hose so I can get the ISV where I want it.

Going to investigate getting the slam panel shot blasted, dip galvanised and then repainted, it looks pretty grotty underneath and as I now have it modded to clear the intercooler I don't want to be replacing it anytime soon. Toying with the idea of getting the radiator support panel and bumper backing metal done as well, if it stops it rusting through and makes it last longer then it cant be a bad thing.

Off out to the garage now to remove some of the items from the list, might get a video of it running and stick it on you tube. The velocity of the air coming out of the exhaust is huge, might need to think about some larger pipework (currently 2.5")

I don't suppose back pressure is such an issue on a charged engine. Are you running a standard fanimold?

Really pleased for you anyway! You are way way way ahead of me now :(

I don't suppose back pressure is such an issue on a charged engine. Are you running a standard fanimold?

it is in the sense that you don't want any.

It is a standard 16v fanimold, although its been gasket matched at both ends. The 16v one flows really well, especially when you loose the downpipe with a dent in one of the pipes for increased torque.

Finally got the bits through the post today that I ordered last Sunday.

So the PAS plumbing is now sorted, and the experiment with a 135 deg hose and a 45 deg hose work outs much better than 2 x 90 deg hoses and gives me a lot more room around the battery.

Decided to celebrate by giving the car a wash as it has been parked in the garage for 2 years and was minging. Anyway first of all the clutch wasnt playing ball so that needed to be re-bled. Then I though I would leave the engine to get up to a point where the fan would kick in to test to see if that was working. Well the fan did eventually start to work but I still have a leak on the passenger end of the radiator somewhere and to cap it all the reservoir decided to throw coolant everywhere as the fan is not doing a good enough job. Not sure if the engine is running way too lean (hence the heat) but I have not had chance to time and check mixture yet.

Biggest bugger is that the serpentine belt is destroying itself already. I had a very loud squeaking noise coming from the pulleys and assumed one was knackered, turns out the extra idler roller I am using to ensure good belt contact with the water pump is actually rubbing on the water pump pulley causing the squeak :? So I will need to have a bit of a re-think on that front but nevermind its fairly easy with the front off. Been having an issue with the drivers electric Reccaro, it will only tilt back and not up again, bit of diagnostics out on the drive (more room to open the door) and it turns out its the switch, so that's a relief.

I did finally get to wash it and despite being brushed past on a regular basis for the last couple of years the car looks fantastic now its clean, I had forgotten just how new everything still seems, especially the rubbers, it just goes to show what good comes from garaging a car for its life.

Anyway, a pic of the final engine bay layout (aside from wrapping the wiring loom) and some pics of it post wash.

Looking good mate - probably worth just sticking a brand new rad in there, maybe a VR one if it fits the slam as it will be a fairly important part with that engine.

Looking good mate - probably worth just sticking a brand new rad in there, maybe a VR one if it fits the slam as it will be a fairly important part with that engine.

the holes don't line up and I think the hose dimensions are different too :confused4: .

I fancy a g60 aircon unit but don't fancy the VAG prices. :(

what did the coolant temp get up to yan?

Wasn't an airlock no?

Could well have been an airlock but it has had a couple of heat cycles now. Gauge was reading around 105 deg C but its in a hotter spot than the rad thermo switch as the gauge sender is on the side of the head (more OE G60 style really). Engine oil got to 94 deg at peak, although there is no airflow over the oil cooler that is still a little too warm for my liking. It will need to be sorted as I can't got from motorway speeds into a traffic jam in the current state or it will just cook itself. Going to chuck some coolant flush through the system, then change the coolant - was going to do that anyway just wanted to get it stable first. It is still a new engine and will be quite tight, so I should expect higher temps until its properly run in, I just don't need it to leak and boil over :roll:

Going to sort the belt issue out this morning, got some ideas so it won't take long, then I will probably have another look into the cooling problem. I need to put the fusebox back in as its a pain in arse trying to do hill starts with a fusebox hanging in front of the accelerator pedeal :lol:

CorradoVR6-Turbo Thanks and no I can't :)

Sonicriot13 Thanks too but I wouldn't recommend doing this - it's a monster amount of hassle of a conversion. I'd do a fair amount of things differently given another shot at it and I am not sure I am not going to have another shot at it either (Got a spare 1.8 block laying around with 90k on it....)

Blue95 Planning on using the G60 stock intercooler mounting bracket and the air duct that runs from the front lower grille to the stock G60 intercooler too. Should give some healthy airflow over it and it keeps it all OEMish too.

Sonicriot13 Thanks too but I wouldn't recommend doing this - it's a monster amount of hassle of a conversion. I'd do a fair amount of things differently given another shot at it and I am not sure I am not going to have another shot at it either (Got a spare 1.8 block laying around with 90k on it....)

I'm a long way off being able to do something like this anyway mate. Look at the trouble I'm having just changing a head gasket on a mk2 Golf! :lol:

Did an engine heat soak last weekend after wiring up the electric fan to confirm that everything was running ok. Had a bit of an issue with the radiator top hose getting very very hot before any oil or coolant temp had even registered on the gauge. So after a bit of headscratching I went for the bore gases creeping into the cooling system, or to put it another way the head gasket was not sealing correctly.

Ordered a new PG head gasket and set about the task of changing it yesterday, thanks to the bespoke nature of the engine it was a bit of a pain but no worse than normal 16v and way better than trying to do a G60. The ARP head studs are very useful for head and gasket alignment and once it was all back together it was fired up.

After 30 mins of sitting on the drive idling I now have a car that runs a heck of a lot quieter and the coolant sits around 100 deg once it has all warmed up, the oil holds steady at about 92 deg so overall I am happy with both of those numbers given that it is a new engine and will loosen off over time. It now idles very well although does seem to be running rich when the lambda adaption comes on.

Next job is to get the charger off to BBM for the stage IV process on the outlet and then down to G-werks for a rebuild. In the meantime I intend to get the slam panel and rad support panel off to a local galvanising place to be shot blasted and then dip galvanised. Still need to sort tidy the wiring loom up and put the injector loom into a nice piece of alloy tubing to protect it.