Storm

Diavia Aircon info thread.

Same thermal fuse as this thread?

http://website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm

Hasan, i took out the section you mentioned, hoping to find the thermal fuse but i came across this

P1010961.jpg

On this pic you can see one of the wires/spring fractured.

P1010962.jpg

One of the Resistors is fractured so i will have to try and source a replacement to get the fan going then once that runs check out my Air Con

Been up to fiat dealers and the part is Obsolete but is going to source something he thinks might be the right shape/size.

If not he says they were fitted to Fiat Coupe`s pre 94 models, so it might be a case of hunting the scrappies for one.

Thanks.

Edited by skid

Hi Steve,

If i were you, i would spray the resistor mounting clamps with some wd40 and carefully ease out the broken wire and then uncoil the end of the 'main' coil and refit this in to the slot. Use some thin nosed pliers. This is the lowest resistance wire and holds speed 3. When you put the fan on you will feel them all get hot. Mve to speed 2 and the fat resistor cools, and so on. Dont run it too long out of the fan housing - the impeller moving air helps to maintain the operating temp.

The thermal resistor is on the other side of the fans and says Lancia/FIAT on it! Cut this off (its rivetted on) and solder a thermal fuse onto the two open plates. HTH

If the heater motor on a storm with the Diavia installed is only working on speed 4 what most likely needs replacing, is it the resistor or the motor itself?

Thanks

Alex thats what was happening with mine.

If you look at above posts by myself you might have the same problem.

Hasan, i took out the section you mentioned, hoping to find the thermal fuse but i came across this

P1010961.jpg

On this pic you can see one of the wires/spring fractured.

P1010962.jpg

One of the Resistors is fractured so i will have to try and source a replacement to get the fan going then once that runs check out my Air Con

Been up to fiat dealers and the part is Obsolete but is going to source something he thinks might be the right shape/size.

If not he says they were fitted to Fiat Coupe`s pre 94 models, so it might be a case of hunting the scrappies for one.

Thanks.

Where are these resistors located and how do you access them? I think I may have a simiiar problem

they are behind the glove box. Remove the glovebox, remove the vent and you'll see the resistor wires (yellow) going towards the resistor panel. You'll need a short screwdriver for the lower screw and a ratchet fitting on the upper screw as there is absolutely no room to get at it!

Unscrew and post up what you have.

If anyone is looking for a replacement condenser/dryer, I got mine from ReaderAir. I know there was mention of ReadrAir earlier in the thread, but for reference these are the part numbers I used:

Condenser: Harrison 022301 (identical part number to my old condenser)

Dryer: 017047 (different part number but identical to my old unit)

I have just had the system gassed. The good news is that it is holding pressure, the compressor kicks in and I get cool air, but the radiator fan is not kicking in and the revs do not increase like they used to. My aircon hasn't worked for 6 years or so, I expected problems.

Has anyone had the same problem? I'm going to start by checking the relay's and control units....hoping it will be an easy fix.

normally the engine revs drop and then rise again when the aircon pump cuts in. Do the fans cut in normally (ie when engine temp rises?) If so, i think the problem is then with the third sensor in the stat housing (on the right) Bridge that and see if the fans come on.

Thanks Hasan. The fan's work perfectly aside from not kicking in with the aircon. I was planning on checking the temp sensor in the thermostat housing. I know that aircon cars are supposed to have a 4-pin brown sensor.....but mine is the standard black one. I think it was a black sensor when my aircon used to work, so not sure if it is wired up differently. I'm going to take a look and see if the connector has the 4-pins or just the standard 2-pins.

i think i got mine from Maplin - not sure. Perhaps worth looking on ebay or amazon.

Ha, old thread revival.

Has anyone ever sourced a replacement Evaporator / split the heater box open.

This may hit a blank I know, but thought I'd try my luck

do you mean the condensor at the front of the rad? I've bought a new Polo one(about 5 years ago!) but not fitted it yet. Going to get some new hoses made up first.

Not yet split the heater box but took the fan out once to lube the bearings. What a mission! Not nearly as easy like the non aircon systems

do you mean the condensor at the front of the rad? I've bought a new Polo one(about 5 years ago!) but not fitted it yet. Going to get some new hoses made up first.

Not yet split the heater box but took the fan out once to lube the bearings. What a mission! Not nearly as easy like the non aircon systems

Not the condensor. I replaced that last month and was only a pain as I ruined the threads on a joint then broke the drier undoing a hose!!

I had it all pressure tested today and it is losing pressure somewhere. The aircon guy reckons it may be the evaporator in the car. So I dropped this heater blower unit out to take for testing but would need to split the sealed casing....and I don't really want to do that. Especially if I can't get a replacement.

Disappointed that he didn't try putting the coloured dye in first as this could be a nightmare now

Thanks for the reply

Well I've only gone and done it.... After 2 months of getting nowhere I decide to attack the housing and remove the evaporator. Easier than I thought really. I removed the spal motor just by unscrewing it. I then undid the 5 screws holding the top and bottom sections together, drilled out the rivets and cut along the glued edge. With a wiggling of an electricians screwdriver I forced the gap. Lastly I cut the glued section by the evaporator and drilled these two rivets. Hey presto it split in two.

I've gained access to the evaporator which was full of dirt by the drain hole. Advice to anyone, try blowing Air back up the drain pipe to clear this out. It would all blow out through your air vents and help the evaporator be more efficient.

My next challenge is to get it tested/find a replacement. I will post up on here when this is achieved.

And whilst it is all in bits I am going go refelt the motor flap and refresh it all. Watch this space :dance:

Pictures to follow if I can.

Edited by Cressa
Spelling

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96641[/ATTACH]

See if this works..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96642[/ATTACH]

Picture for peoples reference.

The markings on the thermistor (I think that's what it is)

A390

90°c

FIAT

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96644[/ATTACH]

Important bit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96645[/ATTACH]

The evaporator measurements are

230mm long

98mm wide

225mm high

When I source a replacement i will post up. Likewise if anyone else beats me to it, result

Edited by Cressa

Good luck with this I'm sure youll get there ! Pictures work great you sussed it !