Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

my corrado g60 has a milltek system which is ok.

my corrado vr6 has a magnex system which is very similar.

had a powerflow system and the welding on it was awfull, it was 2.5" with 2 silencers and was ear-bursting deafening.

would recommend the jetex 2.5" system it comes with a reducer to fit to standard cats/downpipes

I've been told that the rattle in my exhaust is a broken baffle in the centre box. I've been quoted 150 + vat to replace the box. Does this sound steep? Can anybody recomend any other cheapish options? Its a H reg 1.8 16v.

i got a powrlow, welding is awful from top gear in st albans, got it rewelded and it sounds like a scooby at full throttle, the sound is awesome. lol.

dose eany one know if milltek make an exhaust for a 1.8 16v raddo???

If thay dont what wud be the best make to go for i want to get a manfold as well

Nick

ive just had a custom system fitted an a de cat pipe an an my car does feel more responsive but the noise it makes is almost unbearable an i asked for it not to be too noisy an ive spoke to the bloke an he reckons its as quiet as he can get it without puttin another box just behind the de cat or puttin the cat back on is he full of crap?

I had a Powerflow system put on about 2 months ago by Top Gear in Bridport. I went with the closest thing they had to standard for the tailpipe, and 2.5" through. Its the first upgraded exhaust Ive bought, and im pretty pleased. It is a bit loud for me, but bearable, and has a nice exhaust 'burble' at idle. The welder had a problem with the end of the pipe getting it out the back because my car is so low, but they managed and the welding is pretty neat.

yeah mine has a nice burble to it an makes rally car poppin noises when goin down through the gears but i dont know if i can live with how load it is plus i dont wanna be seen as some chav boy racer cos im not! might get em to stick that extra box on see if it quietens down,on the up side the finish is good and it doesnt knock or bang cost me 250 for the system and to have it fitted

Just got mine replaced with a standard VW CAT, ctr and back box as the other thing had finally had it - the CAT was the original (13 years old!) No rattles, feels rock solid, sound nice, not too noisy - but you pay through the nose for the bits, and new original bits are starting to get a bit thin on the ground. Normally auto makers, make logistics parts for 13-15 years after production finishes. So my reconing is 2009 even consumerables will start to become a nightmare to find. (we should group buy all the tooling!)

Mine has the scorpion boxer, looks n sounds gorgeous not too obvious, good on motorway and has lovely burble to it £400.

Unfortunately the ppl who fitted it R-tec did a crap job of hanging it so forever plying with it to stop the knocking and melting bumper! The plus side is its got a lifetime warrentry and has no problems 5 years later 60K use.

Ok, i started another thread as i dont think this one covers my question but i will ask it anyway

What sort of performance do powerflow exhausts give, are they restrictive with exhaust gases or not?

Ok, i started another thread as i dont think this one covers my question but i will ask it anyway

What sort of performance do powerflow exhausts give, are they restrictive with exhaust gases or not?

Depends who made it and the design of it / its fluid dynamics to be honest Richard.

The one I have on the G40 seems to work well with it, but thats mine, another powerflow agent could make one and it would work completly differently.

Cheers Gearoid, i am more meaning as a rule are they good or bad for performance?

Thanks

I have a scorpion boxer cat back. It was actually the firs tone scorpion made for a C wit hthe bar hangers, so didnt fit at all when i got it, took the car up to the factory and they built it on the car so fits liek a dream now. SOunds gorgeous, pops like a rally car when changing down when the exhaust is really hot, and sounds seriously fruity when you floor it above 3500rpm. Personally i would like it a bit louder but its good.... Boxer oval tail pipe fits the bumper cut out perfectly. will post some pics if anyone is interested when i work out how to.... lol

mark

2.0 8v

Been running my SuperSprint (with stainless back box) for a few weeks now and it's excellent. Fits perfectly and emits a subtle, but deep tone below 3000 and is stock quiet on the motorway...and unlike some stainless systems, it doesn't get boomy with temperature.

Had my Supersprint with Stailess backbox on for over 2 years now, I fully endorse Kev's comments excellent performance, looks fit and finish.

Been running my SuperSprint (with stainless back box) for a few weeks now and it's excellent. Fits perfectly and emits a subtle, but deep tone below 3000 and is stock quiet on the motorway...and unlike some stainless systems, it doesn't get boomy with temperature.

have u seen or even felt any performance increase?

is it CAT Back or decatted?

roughly how much is it?

Nope, it was fitted post charger and the power and torque remain the same. I suspect a standard car might see a small gain. I just wanted the sprint cause the standard one weighs a tonne.

I've shaved 20Kg off the car's weight in the AP brakes and exhaust alone.

Mine is cat back and I'm running a Milltek sport cat.

Cost is very naughty unfortunately, £350ish.

not too much more than a milltek then... might be worth looking into it in the future then,,,

are you happy with the sports cats btw?

wats 20kg when you have all that dynomat :wink:

right, car went through MOT, passed, but the exhaust is blowing, so I need a new one (still got the original on atm :)).

I think i'm gonna go for a milltek, I need everything back from the cat.

what sort of price am I looking at, and where should I look for it?

do german and swedish sell them?

I have a guy to fit it with me, so np on that. (is there anything to look out for whilst fitting that he needs to know?)

Cheers boyz

On a differnet note, and I dont quite know how to explain this, but a few months ago, i saw a kid on a bmx. He had a bottle strapped to it behind the pedals, and a spoon above that, which was triggered every full rotation of the back wheel to hit the bottle top.

Thus, when he picked up speed, it sounded like an exhaust.

How sad.