dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

Does anybody know offhand what the radius of the 312 caliper setup is from the hub? If it is just 16mm more than the 280 standard fit I should just be ok with my wheels assuming tha caliper is the same thickness as the 280. Ta in advance.

The 312 calipers are only a few mm wider than the 280 ones in terms of wheel clearance, indeed they fit behind standard 15s with 288 discs and don't forget the 312 discs afford you 6mm more wheel clearance over standard anyway.

I'm going to have my steel braided hoses custom-made by Goodridge on Friday. Could anybody give me some info on the length of the original hose and perhaps post a picture so that I can get an idea of how they should look.

I already have braided hoses in the back, so buying a whole set of hoses would be kind of silly. And having those braided hoses custom made costs about the same as buying new OEM-ones from the dealership, so that's not worth much of a debate either.

The 312 calipers are only a few mm wider than the 280 ones in terms of wheel clearance, indeed they fit behind standard 15s with 288 discs and don't forget the 312 discs afford you 6mm more wheel clearance over standard anyway.

Thanks Kev. I was more worried by the circumferance rather than the spoke clearance, ei. distance from the hub centre to the inside of the wheel? Thanks for the promotion by the way!!

The carriers aren't majorly ridiculous at £80+VAT a pair from the dealer....but that's only if you struggle getting s/hand ones.

I wish I could find the dealer at that price...........just been quoted £98+vat each. :shocked!: Looking at second hand ones now

£98 each?! Actually yeah you're right, I think I was quoted £180 a pair inc VAT (mates rates) from my local Audi dealer. I missed the '1' off :-)

Well, they can come from a Skoda Octavia RS, Golf 4 mo, Audi TT etc etc so plenty of breaker to choose from :-)

If you do get s/hand ones, make sure you check them if the car was in a front ender as they can bend.

Have got hold of a pair of 288 calipers and carriers so was pricing up the extra to upgrade to 312. If 280 was a '0' and the 312 was a '10' where would you rate the 288 setup? Hope that makes sense! All I really want is a better pedal feel and brakes that work better at higher speed without having to stand on the pedal.

I'd put the 288s down as a 7 mate.

Unfortunately initial feel doesn't really improve (that dead inch of travel) but when they bite, they bite a lot better than the 280s and feel confidence inspiring as they don't fade (unless you REALLY give them death).

I found the best bitey feel on a budget comes from Pagid FR pads and plain Brembo discs from GSF. Works a treat :-)

Hmmmm...I have Black diamond 280 disks now and Ferrodo pads which are better than standard. Thinking I will save a few pennies and go for the 288 Black Diamond. The 280 ones are fairly new so they might appear in the for sale section soon!! Thanks

Ah OK, I don't think you'll have any problems there mate ;-)

Don't think so either, I'll just need the measurements from somebody. :)

For future reference in case somebody needs it:

I've had the brake lines custom made, total length is 45cm's (end of connections). The connectors are just straight connections, no bend what so ever.

did mine yesterday :D the only thing is that the brake pedal is really soft, and i have to really push the pedal to the floor before i get some real bite, the discs/pads are all used but loads of life left, have bled the brakes 3 times but no difference :? what am i doing wrong, :?

Nice choice of caliper colour :-) I can't see the caliper retaining clip in the pic there mate, did you fit it?

The pedal shouldn't feel any different, I think you need to get the brakes bled professionally.

yeh i took your advice on the colour kev, see what you meant about the subtle look, yeh the blead nipple are at the top, and yeh the calliper retaining clip is there just done that black also, do i have to blead the rears also??

i really need to get this problem sorted, i have read all 20 pages on this topic, and there is talk about fitting a smaller master cylinder from a polo?? would this help my pedal feel?? and which polo model master cylinder would i need?? cheers guys/gals :?

er no, i only bled the front brakes, i will try to do the rears tomorrow and see if there is any change, :?