Sign in to follow this  
whomartyn

car insurance is a joke for youngsters

I did have 3 years NCB until I had my little knock on the way to GTI International last year, I was 23. I paid £600 fully comp for my mkiv GT tdi, I now pay £1256 because I have 0 NCB !

So I got a quote to insure the C fully comp, agreed value, everything declared last year for 1300-1500 odd quid, considering its 360bhp I didn't think that was too bad (considering!) - so shall we have a guess as to what it will be now without my NCB.... >??? :CRY: :CRY: :CRY:

My insurance is just begining to get sensible due to a slightly colourful driving history and only 2 yrs no claims... should be under £600 this year though if I'm lucky!

I'd def advise you to do pass plus. A lot of insurance companies give you an extra years NCB. It isnt that much to do either at something like £140ish iirc. I got on my own insurance at 17 with a 1.1 mk1 golf, only cost about £250 and the insurance was £1100.

Its just one of those things but it does get cheaper!

the insurance companies have got the younger drivers by the bollards basically,thats why so many people drive without any insurance because the fines etc work out cheaper if you get caught

the insurance companies have got the younger drivers by the bollards basically,thats why so many people drive without any insurance because the fines etc work out cheaper if you get caught

Thus making insurance higher :mad:

i havent read the whole thread but insurace wasnt all that high for me... maybe its my postcode... you can see my list of cars from my signature.

crx - grp 12 - £1200 TPFT - CIS

vr6 - grp 18 - £1200 FC - Adrian Flux

S3 - grp 17 - £740 FC - Direct Line

you just have to shop around and price match different companies (even if you never got that cheaper quote in the first place)

Sucks mate but its always more expensive when your starting up your own policy, thats the disadvantage of using your dads insurance! i was paying £2200 on a 1.4 se mk3 golf at 17! but now ive got 2 yrs ncb and pay £1600 fc on a g60!

unlikely as it sounds the 2.0 16v was more to insure than a g60! so was a 2.0 8v!! I think it was due to the engine capacity. maybe worth getting a quote to see what a g60 would be, i did and was chuffed at the outcome :)

the reality is if you cant afford insurance on a C you cant afford to run it

i drive 2.0 litre now thats does 22 mpg i can afford to run a porchse.

and it wouldn't be so annoying but the car is being offered to me for 800 and theres nothing wrong with it shes had it since new and drives like a mum and has all the sales history you can see why im so eager to get it.

Buy the car and stash it somewhere til you can afford to insure it. Or sell it on to make a few quid. I'll give you £900 for it. :lol:

Just putting petrol in is only the start of it. I would bet that the Focus doesn't need much doing to it apart from oil changes. A 100K Corrado will be a fairly constant drain on your wallet..

It's time to face the truth. You haven't done yourself any favours really running on your dads insurance. A years no claims at 25% of a lot of money is still a lot of money.

Insurance hasn't come down in my opinion all the time I have been driving now 37. At 19 I had an XR3 which was £575 fully comp. A lot of money to an apprentice that took home about £75 a week. Even in my 30s my GTI G60 was £400 tpft.

Buy an 850 mini and insure it for a year to get started. If you leave it parked up somewhere, you won't be claiming for anything. Build some no claims like that if you are prepared to drive as you are.

Gavin

right i just booked my pass plus which will cost me 100 squid and i gave adrian flux ago and they've qouted me 1200tpft with it so i think i might go for that i still have to do more hours at work though i might try and get my own policy on the focus for another year and buy the rado now but it in my gargae and the get it the way i want ready for next summer!

thanks

Couple of ways to make insurance cheaper... they're kinda obvious, but do help in a big way!

Less miles per year - I say I do 3000 apposed to most who say around 8-12k

Add parents as named drivers

Say you drive another car on a regular basis

Don't say you're a student!

In comparisson to my friends, these are usually the only things that I say differently on my insurance, and mine always works out a whole load cheaper! I think I must have a good postcode too

19yrs old, 0 yrs no claims, Corrado G60 - £1250 TPFT

20yrs old, 1 yrs no claims, Corrado G60 - £850 TPFT

21yrs old, 2 yrs no claims, Twin Turbo Supra - £950 Fully Comp

All with Elephant.co.uk :)

IM 24 and my VR insurance with girlfriend is £500 FC. She is the named driver though so it is a little cheeper.

MY old T25 van was over £1400 for me to be insured on it. I added my girlfriend and it went down to £300 TPFT? ..............why oh why?

IM 24 and my VR insurance with girlfriend is £500 FC. She is the named driver though so it is a little cheeper.

No dear, YOU are the named driver. I am the policy holder :wink:

I passed at 17 and bought my 16v at 18 - ended up having to store it until i was 21 to get the insurance to £1100!

when a C has been your dream car for years, these are the sorts of measures you have to take.

All C's except the Vr6 are group 16, Vr6 is 17.

With out being funny have you tried to get a quote fully comp? a friend of mine had this and he found he could get a better rate fully comp as the are more insurance companys to choose from.

Howdy,

Just thought i'd sneak in my quotes,

NCB : 5yrs (started with a 1.1l mk1 fiesta, then polo GT)

VR6 : $430 FC (sorry, no pound key!)

G60 : $480 FC

All with Privilege, try tesco, they were cheap when i started driving, and i insure by brothers car using them (lol, building up more NCB for when i get a 2nd car!)

Definately glad my dad refused to put me on his premium, paying dividends now!

Wow that's very cheap indeed. Because you've got all those years NC discount. My insurance is almost twice that but it is a modified vehicle... :norty: