Sign in to follow this  
Riclad

Rush a job . . . . This is what happens!

Lowered me car 2 weeks ago, rushed the job a bit, like a fool, then the next day, my near side front wheel falls off!

I could of sworn i tightened them bolts all the way.

Not cheap guys! ! !

Not nice chap,

good job i was only doin 20 when it happened! 2 minutes before i was doin 70 with my girl in the car.

The 4 wheel nuts! It's confusin because there was a locking nut in there too! My girls dad found 1 on his drive in the morning, must of fell out 2 mins before it happened. 1 snapped off, (probably the last soldier that couldn't hold on anymore, bless) the other 2 . . . . god knows where they are!

The wheel went under my car, and its not even damaged at all, tyre still inflated!

The cops saw me, reversed to have a look, then buggered off! Cheers guys!

Just the wheel came off, i was skiddin down the road on my disk! thought i needed a whole new underneath, disk, hub, arm etc. . . . . .but nothing is damaged! So so so so lucky! Just the new wing that is needed, being sprayed at the mo!

eww, not nice bud.

my mate works in a garage and the spanner monkey [note the word spanner] had just done a brake pad change before my mate took it round the block. Wheel fell off as he drove up the road. The guys sacked now! [the week before he'd put a head gasket on back to front!]

Ha Ha, sorry, don't mean to laugh but thats funny. Sounds like he was in the wrong job in the first place.

I had some tryes fitted on a Mk2 GTI at Kwik-Fit many moons ago. Travelling to work the next day I could beel some outrageous clonking through the steering when accelerating and braking. Yep, they'd left the near-side front wheel loose.

I once took a bike for a test ride from a local dealer only to find on my return that the apprentice mechanic had left the rear wheel loose when he refitted it following a tyre change. It was weaving all over the place at 90mph but I just put it down to the off-road tyres. I still bought it and still own it :)

I had a very similar thing happen to me in my old mk1 golf, I forgot to tighten up the bottom ball joint!! Doh!

There by the grace of God.....

Years back took car in for a service and mechanic went white. On a rear wheel one wheel bolt was missing and all others were loose except for the locking one.

Seems someone had tried to nick my wheels but gave up on finding a locking nut. God knows how long it had been like that. I had done a serious drive to Aberystwyth and back the weekend before the service. I started checking all my bolts when returning to the car for a while but thankfully the paranoia wore off quite quickly.

Glad you survived it. Good luck in sorting it.

Someone was looking over you - that those lucky stars.

Just the other day I checked my bolts all round, as I felt juddering in the steering wheel, but all ok; now wondering if weights have fallen off.

I've know bike mechanics not to tighten the fork leg lower clamp that holds the wheel in - tut

Nooooo... makes me want to leave work early and double check all my (wheel) nuts! It's bad enough that I always feel paranoid after doing anything with my wheels but this just plain freaks me out :?

Glad you're OK and the damage was as minor as it could have been!

oooh, sorry to see that damage mate.

i just avoided the same a few weeks ago when i changed a wheel - forgot to do the nuts up tight once i'd dropped it off the jack :(

luckily i felt the wobble in time and stopped :)

good luck with the operation ;)