Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Dutch 24v - Spring clean

Started to strip the VR today :)

So far so good 8)

Dutch

...as you can see the dog is also very happy :)

The air intake actually connects to the exhaust down-pipe, apparently for cooling.

It runs down to a collector in the vent below the indicator, so I'm going to use it as a cold air feed to the 24v K&N :)

Dutch

I just have to remove the drive shafts now and the engine can be removed 8)

It's all gone remarkably smoothly so far. The only bolts I can't remove and have infact buggered up are the 4 that fix the supporting brackets that hold the back of the intake manifold to the cylinder head. They are allen bolts and I've sheered all 4. Don't need to remove the intake manifold to remove the engine though so boll&cks to them :)

Dutch

mtc R32, The plan is basically to stick in the 2.8 24v along with the ecu, loom and mkIV relay panel (which connects upto the Corrado clocks and fuse board). I'm keeping the 02A trans., with a new clutch and engine mounts (VF front) and using the 4Motion twin CATS with a custom DP 8)

g60greeny, lol, I may well enter him for a laugh :)

Dutch

The 12v is now out and the gearbox is off. Have to clean the box up now as it's covered in thick oil.

Pics:

Nice one Dutch, watching this one with interest...I can see me doing this one day. :-)

Well, finally removed the damn flywheel after borrowing a tool to lock it in position from my friendly VAG dealer :)

I've bought new one anyhow as it was only 117 euro exchange from VW, so for piece of mind thought I'd better. Can't afford a fidanza now unfortuantely and the engine has to go back in this weekend as I strart a new job on Monday :(

Dutch

The 24v is in, so the heavy work is finally finished :) ...and I'm knackered!

Had to cut the 12v DP/CAT & the bit between the CAT and the rear section with a grinder this morning as it was all rusted/melted together. What fun that was!!

Pics. later as it started to p&ss down with rain and I've only just finished.

Dutch

After a couple of weeks of no movement things are going to start rolling again in the land of 24v'ness :)

After playing about with the 12v and 24v oil coolers I've found a solution to the clearance issues with the oil cooler and front mount bracket.

I've simply replaced the long bolt that goes through the 24v oil cooler with the one from the 12v oil cooler. The large nut on the end of the 24v bolt is alot bigger than that on the 12v one, and other than that they are identical. There is now a good 4mm clearance between this bolt and the bracket, with no chopping or welding required :)

Dutch

After a couple of weeks of no movement things are going to start rolling again in the land of 24v'ness :)

After playing about with the 12v and 24v oil coolers I've found a solution to the clearence issues with the oil cooler and front mount bracket.

I've simply replaced the long bolt that goes through the 24v oil cooler with the one from the 12v oil cooler. The large nut on the end of the 24v bolt is alot bigger than that on the 12v one, and other than that they are identical. There is now a good 4mm clearence between this bolt and the bracket, with no chopping or welding required :)

Dutch

excellent work there, this is a few weeks away for me now, i have the floor welded in and am sorting out the rear axle for my 4 wheel drive conversion before going to the engine.

Keep the pics coming!

Finally made some more progress over the weekend :)

The front mount bracket is now on after getting part of a g60 mount welded onto it so it fits the 24v block.

Dutch

A few more pics of progress.

All the new bits are back on as guided by Mr. Bentley :)

I have blocked off the water hole on the front of the 24v block for the aux. water pump and relocated the pump up into the 12v aux. pump bracket, which is mounted onto the 24v head in pretty much the original C location. There are a couple of free, threaded, holes in the 24v block to mount it on, which is nice :)

I tried to fit the 12v crack pipe and thermo/temp housing, but the pipe was a few mm too short when mounted on the 24v block. In the end I used the 24v crack pipe (which is a few mm longer :) ) and mounted the 12v thermo housing to that with no problems, so all the water piping will remain the same as the 12v setup :)

Excuse the poor camera phone photo's.

Dutch

Love the Black manifold mate 8)

You gonna fit the cover too, or leave the cables and manifold bare?

You started wiring the clocks etc in yet?

Hopefully she'll be running within a month, ...hopefully :)

I'm going to leave the manifold like it is and wrap the ignition wires with black self-adhesive tape.

The clocks and everything should just be plug'n'play as the loom has already been modified to fit the Corrado. I just have to figure out what plugs back into what as I've removed the fusebox :?

Dutch