herisites

Rob's R32 Corrado - FOR SALE :(

Very nice coils and cars in the pic... one question though... how long has your thread title read Re: Rob's R32 Corrado...

Very nice coils and cars in the pic... one question though... how long has your thread title read Re: Rob's R32 Corrado...

Never spotted that! :lol: A while by the looks of it, changed it now though :cheers:

I wouldnt worry too much about setting up the damping just yet as they will need to settle 1st so just fit and forget for a month or so..

Dampers don't 'settle'. They are only optimal when new. They start wearing out as soon as they are fitted and used. Springs may 'settle' a little as in they might lose a bit of free length, but that doesn't affect the damper operation and takes years!

Gaz supply the kit with the damping wound to minimum, which can be quite dangerous and I certainly would not recommend driving it around in the wet like that, other than a quick test drive.

My point was to yes roughly set them up but dont be too insistent on tweaking too much as after a while things do change and you will end up changing things anyhow.

i didn't notice the one piece springs - that is nicer than having the little "helper" crap

be interesting to see how progressive they are though - looking at the layout of the coils they might not be as progressive as some others....

Rob - very interested to hear your review - hurry up and get 'em fitted! :lol:

Certainly is :D I had the same style and length of springs on my Gaz Golds and they felt spot on. I personally don't like progressive rate springs. The transition from the regular to stiffer rate always feels a bit too bouncy for my tastes, but each to our own :D

Yeah Rob, hurry up and get me fitted :D

interesting - i've only been in one (non-standard) car ever that didn't have progressive rate springs and that drove terribly!

that said, one car isn't exactly a great basis to form an opinion on! - like everyone has said - HURRY UP ROB! :D

cheers for sharing with the pics btw Rob - loving the workshop, engines, everything!

mmmmmmmm V8 goodness - mwahahahaha!

don't blame you about waiting for the ramp; the final straw for me was when i did my evo clutch on the floor, on my own! i got it done just fine, but afterwards i just thought i really never want to do that sort of thing again.

thankfully i've managed to barter with a local garage and i now get occasional use of their ramp :clap:

Sorry I've been away and not really checked up on here that much.

I got the GAZ's fitted weekend before last and first impressions weren't great, but that was partly because I was useless with the damping adjustments etc and so it was all over the place, but I've got it all settled down now and they are better than the Weitec's, still firm but not as crashy.

My only issue with them is with the supplied spring rates of 375lb front and 180lb rear which seems like too big a gap to me. The Weitecs were 400lb front and 280lb rear! I asked for 343lb (60nm) front and 228 (40nm) rear's for the GAZ but for some reason they just supplied the ones they thought were best, which I didn't argue with as they're the experts. However the rears are just too soft, the turn in feels slow and the rear leans a bit too much for my liking. So I've contacted the seller and told him I'd like to try different springs and I'm still waiting on a different reply. He did say it shouldn't be a problem but just waiting on GAZ now.

I think with the right spring rates on they will be great though. Just need to set them up properly with someone who knows what they're doing :lol:

When my rears felt slow with turn in I stiffened up the damping and it cured it, try it as a temp measure till the springs you want turn up.

Cheers junkie, that's what I've done for now. Only issue with it though is if I turn up the damping too much at the minute it becomes quite bouncy so the stiffer springs with a bit less damping should be the answer (hopefully :lol:). Plus turned up damping is harder/crashier than stiffer springs.

The new springs are on order so should be with me next week. I've been advised by Gaz to stick with the supplied front rates of 375 if going for stiffer rears.

So I'll report back when I have fitted the new springs :)

Sorry guys, not checked this for ages!

No big news really, I've gone back to speedlines so am selling my Rota's. Just got fed up with the car not driving as well as it used to, and looking a bit boy racer etc, just want to keep things more subtle now but still go like a *******! :lol:

GAZ's are doing ok so far, they are great with the speedlines back on, the car is firm but nowhere near as crashy as it used to be. I still think I'm yet to find the best setting for them though, turned down it's comfortable but the car is slow to react obviously and steering doesn't feel great, turn them up a lot and it becomes a bit harsh and a bit too 'bouncy' for my liking so I have them in the middle, not too hard but not too soft and it drves well, turn in is responsive if a little bit slower than on the weitecs, just a tiny bit on the bouncy side though but it's not annoying like when you turn them up! I imagine on a flat track turning them up they will be great, there's a LOT of adjustment in them and a few clicks either way do make a noticable difference.

As for reliability etc, no probs so far, I've ran them daily through the winter etc and they look a bit crusty now but not rusty and can still adjust the height fine after a quick rinse to get **** out the threads. Only issue is the rears are adjustable by knobs on the struts rather than top adjustable, which is nice as you just need to stick an arm underneath the car and turn a knob to adjust rather than remove the rear speakers etc, but the knobs are feeling rather stiff now so I think the weather's got to them a bit.

that's cool about the Gaz's - was thinking about them should i ever replace the suspension on my beemer.

the car is probably a bit sloweron turn in due to the extra flex you now have in the tyres; like you said, you're best off getting it somewhere in the middle for daily driving. i bet f you stuck the rota's back on then it would bite a bit more on turn in with the trade-off of being more crashy etc...

glad to hear all is well with the old girl anyhow. did you ever get your flatspot sorted?

What size brakes have you got fitted Rob? Im on 312mm's and wouldnt mind running speedlines but was told they wont fit. Or are your brakes smaller / aftermarket speedlines?

that's cool about the Gaz's - was thinking about them should i ever replace the suspension on my beemer.

the car is probably a bit sloweron turn in due to the extra flex you now have in the tyres; like you said, you're best off getting it somewhere in the middle for daily driving. i bet f you stuck the rota's back on then it would bite a bit more on turn in with the trade-off of being more crashy etc...

glad to hear all is well with the old girl anyhow. did you ever get your flatspot sorted?

Yeah the extra tyre flex is a litte noticable but it doesn't feel soggy at all so I'm happy with how it drives on the speedies.

It still didn't feel as great on the Rota's handling wise as with the Weitecs on, which would be down to softer spring rates and turning the damping down a bit, but the ride quality was unbearable on the Weitecs so I'd rather have a bearable ride and slightly soggier handling! Tbh I don't really drive fast anymore, I go quick don't get me wrong but I'm not testing the limits of handling like I used to lol!

No never figured out the cause of the flat spot :( Vince is currently doing a couple of Mk5 R32 transplants so hopefully he comes across the same problem, figures it out on them and can then fix mine! At the min I don't have the money or another source of transport to just give him my car and say 'figure it out', I'm hoping to get the Audi back on the road over the next couple of months though so will be able to leave the car with him!

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

What size brakes have you got fitted Rob? Im on 312mm's and wouldnt mind running speedlines but was told they wont fit. Or are your brakes smaller / aftermarket speedlines?

I'm running 288's mate, they fit under the speedies no probs, 312's definitely won't though! The 288's are good enough for my day to day driving.

WRT the flat spot, it appears that VW and Audi offered a flashfile update (6463 ecu upgrade) for the 3.2 to rectify a flat spot. Not sure how to get this flashfile update added to our ecu's though. I found this out on the r32 forum

Some people suggest the MAF could be a cause. Only problem I dont know anyone with a suitable MAF to borrow.

BTW does your conversion allow for VAG com to work? I havent tried.

Edited by quicky1980

Could you clear your PM's please. Was trying to send you one but your PM box is full.

Cleared now, forgot about sent PM's!

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

WRT the flat spot, it appears that VW and Audi offered a flashfile update (6463 ecu upgrade) for the 3.2 to rectify a flat spot. Not sure how to get this flashfile update added to our ecu's though. I found this out on the r32 forum

Some people suggest the MAF could be a cause. Only problem I dont know anyone with a suitable MAF to borrow.

BTW does your conversion allow for VAG com to work? I havent tried.

Hmm never heard of the flashfile before, could well be the case maybe?? I will suggest it to Vince and see what he says about it.

Don't think it's the MAF, but could be worth trying!

Yeah mine works with VAG-COM, I haven't checked it for a while but we were checking it when I first did the conversion and other than the usual error codes (for things missing that Vince cleared from the ECU) there was nothing else.

The 288's are good enough for my day to day driving.

Agreed. After removing my APs, I was very blasé about the 288s, "They'll do for now", kind of thing. But after driving Pat McCrotch's at the weekend (now totally stock, inc the woeful 280 brakes), I got back in mine and nearly went through the windscreen, so maybe they're not so bad after all :lol: