Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Parking Over 2 Spaces

inky wrote

Not every one who drives a BMW is a ****...

Almost certainly true :wink: - someone has been guilty of making a faulty generalisation.

Thousands of airline passengers will be doing the same every day, too, as they scan their fellow travellers. The way of the world, one would have to say.

wise words..

one thing puzzles me though. people say you shouldn't generalise.. but isn't that a generalisation?

inky wrote

Not every one who drives a BMW is a ****...

Almost certainly true :wink: - someone has been guilty of making a faulty generalisation.

Thousands of airline passengers will be doing the same every day, too, as they scan their fellow travellers. The way of the world, one would have to say.

point taken... but if you're born ginger that's the kind of attention you tend to attract :lol:

..Tesco and the like are simply providing better facilities for some of their best customers...

but what makes them any better a customer than people without children? obviously theres another mouth to feed, but i eat more than enough to feed a normal adult and two children, and buy quality food and beer.

I reckon my monthly spend is as high as that of an average 2.4 family - shouldn't i get better facilities?

believe me, Tesco's don't do anything that isn't in their own interest, it's all part of their plan to take over the world.

davidwort wrote

believe me, Tesco's don't do anything that isn't in their own interest

Too right. Everything in profitable business is money driven. The satisfaction of shareholders is all.

Ahem, i always park over two spaces at tescos. But i do it in the furthest corner of the car park. This way i get to stretch my legs a bit a lunchtime, plus i can open the doors further ( the Audioscape pods make getting in / out with the door only open a bit, more tricky )

I rekcon its v poor form to park in disabled bays. As to mother /child stuff - tesco has been targeting their ads at mothers for years now. Encouraging them with some wide spaces is just a logical progression.

I wouldnt use them even i was a mother with a kid. Again - park furthest away and give little ones some exersise before you fill them up with sugar and take them to mcdonalds !

I wouldnt use them even i was a mother with a kid. Again - park furthest away and give little ones some exersise before you fill them up with sugar and take them to mcdonalds !

I take it you've never struggled getting a baby & seat out out of the back of a 3dr car, after 3hrs sleep :lol: Parking futher away is fine, but as metioned, some halfwit always parks next to you forcing you move your car to get the seat back in!

Also its called Parent & Child parking - Fathers have to go shopping too :wink:

and for all you who think that because you have a Raddo you should not have kids makes me angry...where does it say that Raddo drivers manual that if you have a child you should automatically put it up for sale with a sign that says 'baby forces sale'!

Yip.Loads of 'rado for sale ads with that blurb.Should read-'missus wears the trousers-she's lookin' for £----.

DanA - it all sounds horrific mate !

Must remember to get down the chemists ...

Dont panic -you'll need a female first :)

Seriously, it is out of order to park in any special bays - including parent and child ones.

Objections to these points seems to come from people who either have no personal experience of disability or children. I wouldnt wish disability upon anyone but I think the opinion would change if they actually needed the spaces only to find Mr Paranoid's parked his Corrado in one (a bad rep for C drivers BTW)

Come to think of it I wouldnt wish kids on anyone either - but if you havent had any you don't have a clue what its like.

Ahem 2p forthcoming..

Parking in disabled bays - you are a knob, no two ways about it. It is no-ones decision on here to decide if badge holders are or are not entitled to it.

Parent and child spaces; all the comments make sense but ultimately I would rather see parents lives made a little easier where possible. If the spaces are wider and closer to the shop then great; it does mean there is less likelehood of Chavs flattening some poor child as they drive around the car park in Tescos bouncing off the rev limiter.

As for where I park my cars it is always as far away from everyone else as possible, usually on the ends of rows or in corners where one side of the car cannot be parked next to it anyway.

As for dents/scrapes I have picked up more of those going to/at VW events over the last year than I have in car parks!

No excuse whatsover for parking in disabled spaces but if you think about the mother and child jobbies it means there are a large number of 4x4 or people carriers in them that could potentially be parked next to your 'C' in the car park with mums, dads and kids opening the rear doors with dangerous pointy bits resulting in some fine thumbnail dents in your pride and joy. I think these allocated spaces inadvertently provide us 'C' owners with a bit of extra protection from damage myself.

you know what really gets me about disabled badges??

the people that misuse a family members one when that family member isnt in the car.

living in the centre of southampton where its all double yellows, the amount of people that mark on them and stick a disabled badge in the window who are in no way disabled.

this is not in anyway to be taken as a racist comment, but 90% of them are young asain males in brand new prestige cars....on their own, with no phsical disability.

occasionally the traffic wardens catch them getting back into the cars and ask to see the passes which it would appear normally belong to family members who are not with them.....talk about abuse of the system...

anyone who isnt disabled or doesnt have a disabled person in the car and either uses a pass or a marked disabled bay deserves a bloody good hiding.

on the flip side, all parking spaces should be bigger.

this is not in anyway to be taken as a racist comment, but 90% of them are young asain males in brand new prestige cars....on their own, with no phsical disability.

occasionally the traffic wardens catch them getting back into the cars and ask to see the passes which it would appear normally belong to family members who are not with them.....talk about abuse of the system...

As I too live in Southampton, I can totally vouch for what you've written. My eyes see exactly the same. I even know an asian who borrows his mums!

at tescos asda etc i always park on the end of a bay as the spaces are always bigger

at work i always take two spaces and while its not liked , everyone is use to it now

I always try park the car as far as possible from others to avoid this.

I believe it´s the best thing to do!

One time when i went to the shopping center (almost closing up) i parked on the lowest floor available.

There were only a couple of cars on that floor.

I was very tired, because of cleaning up and polishing the car all afternoon.

When i came back there was an old Fiat Uno parked just next to mine.

Guess what!

There was a huge parking dent on my passenger door!!!

I got so angry, i picked up one screwdriver and...

ZZZZZzzzzzRRRRRRrrrrrrrrWWWWWiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

All over that right side of his car.

Firstly i decided to wait for the guy, but then i realised that i had much more important things to do, than spending my time with such an idiot!

I hope he got the lesson!

...on the flip side, all parking spaces should be bigger.

now that is fair comment... it seems somehwat remiss that when the size for parking spaces was standardised back in the post-flower power mists fo the 70's, a vast percentage of cars were significantly smaller. with average car size way way up on what it used to be...

the changes in motoring like SUV's, 4x4's, people-carriers/mini-vans and the general steroid injection of model evolutions (case in point Mk1 Golf vs Mk5), surely the humble parking space is due for a re-think?

trouble is, 1) it'd cost the government and council money, 2) it would likely require 16 white-papers, 4 committees and quarter of a century of investigations for the aforementioned bureaucrats to address it, and 3) the conclusion would be that increaing bay sizes would actually reduce the number of spaces in each car park, meaning less revenue for councils and the NCP and is therefore not a viable option... :roll:

Theres a difference between disabled bays and parent/child bays in so far as the law is concerned, parking in a disabled bay without displaying a badge is an offence, parking in a parent/child bay without a child (or indeed a parent) isnt.

(IMO) Morally, doing either is wrong. I know from experiance what its like getting a child in and out of a car in a normal width parking space, its not easy and designated spaces make life way easier BUT we all chose to have kids (well mostly) and its not like we're physically prohibited from walking a distance to a shop just because we have kids. I think its more down to common decency that you dont park in parent/child spaces unless you have need.

Disabled people need that extra space to get in/out of their cars. Not only do they have to contend with struggling in/out of their car and then navigate a store which invariably isnt very accessible for a person with a disability, but some knobbers parked in a space put there especially to make their life easier... just so they dont get a dent.

Sorry, maybe I'm unusual in thinking certain things are more important than paintwork.

trouble is, 1) it'd cost the government and council money, 2) it would likely require 16 white-papers, 4 committees and quarter of a century of investigations for the aforementioned bureaucrats to address it, and 3) the conclusion would be that increaing bay sizes would actually reduce the number of spaces in each car park, meaning less revenue for councils and the NCP and is therefore not a viable option... :roll:

Yep, typical of a reactive, rather than proactive government that put cost before human life. How many kids have to die on a dual carriageway before they build an underpass? How many times do the underground trains have to break down before they update the 1940s technology? And so on and so forth. Computers should be made to run the country imo and even a Dragon 32 would do a better job of decision making than Blair and his merry band of gimps.

Dragon 32 would do a better job of decision making than Blair and his merry band of gimps.

PMSL... sod me, i'd forgotten about the Dragon... (points a little more towards your 'real' age though :lol: )

Yep, typical of a reactive, rather than proactive government that put cost before human life. How many kids have to die on a dual carriageway before they build an underpass? How many times do the underground trains have to break down before they update the 1940s technology? And so on and so forth. Computers should be made to run the country imo and even a Dragon 32 would do a better job of decision making than Blair and his merry band of gimps.

Bring on the revolution!! :twisted: