Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Toyo T1-R tyres ....Are these very good or only average?

Hi

Going to need to replace a couple of tyres soon and thinking about a change in tyre. I have done a search and found a few reviews about the Toyo Proxes TR-1 but the reviews seem to focus mainly on the older T1-S, which are mainly mediocre reviews. However has anyone tried the later T1-R's and can let me know how they compare to the likes of Goodyear F1's etc? Do they last longer.. is the grip very good etc? I used to have the F1's but they only lasted 5 mins and the grip was great at the start but very poor in damp and wet conditions when they were only two thirds worn. Plus the F1's are no longer made in 205/50/15 size.

Need something that will last a bit longer than the F1's and have very good grip in the wet or dry. I also want a tyre that has a V/directional pattern ideally.

I have heard bad things about the Michelin Pilot Sports where people encounter lots of wheelspin.

Another option is the BF Goodrich G-force Profiler (which is made by Michelin - not sure why it is called BF Goodrich though). But virtually no reports about this tyre when I do a search.

Cheers for any help and information.

Thanks.

Any tyre will last longer than Goodyear F1's.

I had G-Force Profilers on my blue G60 - pretty good compromise tyre in terms of wear rate, ride comfort, grip (both wet and dry) etc - very cheap as well

I have had T1-S before and found them pretty good, they did wear pretty quickly, can only assume that the T1-R is better

Ive just managed to get to the wear marks in 8000 miles on a front set of Dunlop SP9000, although they do feel good in the wet I was a bit concerned at how fast they wore.

I was thinking about getting these t1-Rs before my MOT, definitely thinking about it now as MOT cowboy put 2 of the cheapest tyres known to man on my front wheels.

I know my old ones were bald but at least i had some faith in the car, now i have none. Its like i can't trust it anymore.

I've got Pirreli P7000 on all 4 corners, stunning dry weather grip, like being glued to the road.

Not so hot in the wet, wet road holding is ok, a bit slippery and lots of wheels spin in high revs, even when moving at 30ish MPH!!!!! :shock:

Running them all round (t1-r) in 195/45/16 on 8x16's...

I dont rate em in the wet so much tbh,not bad like but my old dunlop sp sport 2000 and 9000's felt more sure in the wet.

Pretty good in the dry :)

Neil.

i found the toyos to be great. I had some sp9000s and they were crap. I also rate the avon zz3s highly but they can be hard to get hold of.

I've got Pirreli P7000 on all 4 corners, stunning dry weather grip, like being glued to the road.

Not so hot in the wet, wet road holding is ok, a bit slippery and lots of wheels spin in high revs, even when moving at 30ish MPH!!!!! :shock:

I'll go with that, I've got them on the back and "Jupiter" on the front and the Cack cheap ones grip more in the wet than the "Named" tyres, so I can be a little arse lose on wet roundabouts!.

Was thinking the T1-r route too,,, however will look into ZZ3's too..

Funny how the same tyre on the same car is cr@p in some people's opinion and good on others. After seeing some of the geometry angles on a lot of Rados at inters this year, it's not surprising some of them don't grip for schitt.

Matth76, just try them mate. Don't listen to forum opinions, form your own conclusions through experimentation rather than hearsay and speculation.

I have a set of the G-Force Profilers fitted - different to the old Profilers btw - but have only limited comparison, so it's hard for me to say how they compare to other Corrado rubber, plus they've not been on for long. So far seem pretty sure-footed compared to the Dunlop SP900 things that were fitted to the three of the four wheels when I bought it, and haven't done owt weird or unpredictable on mainly damp roads.

They don't feel as grippy as the Eagle F1s I have on my Mark 2, but then that's a different car, plus I'm still experimenting with pressures. For now I'd say that they feel like a reliable tyre wet or dry, seem decent for road noise and ride comfort and good value off mytyres.

BF Goodrich are Michelin's 'not quite as premium' brand in a Seat viz a viz VW kind of way, I guess. I just use F1s on the GiT and would have done the same on the 'rado if they were available in a VR6 fitment.

Matth76, just try them mate. Don't listen to forum opinions, form your own conclusions through experimentation rather than hearsay and speculation.

It's surely worth asking the Forum,and then forming an opinion from there.If you have the wonga to just dive in;by all means disregard peoples' views.

Some peoples' views are founded on experience.

Yes but we have a 'definitive' tyre thread already and is there a definitive tyre choice in there? By heck there is.

Tyres, brakes, oil, spark plugs, air filters, exhausts - they all fall under the highly subjective banner. 5 people might say T1-Rs are good, 1 person might say they are absolute junk, and 3 might say they're OK, nothing special. Who do you believe?

That's why the only way to find out for sure is to buy them and try them.

It's not like the 'ditch finder' days of the 1960s where poor tyre choices can kill you. Tyres are all much of a muchness these days and you can't go wrong.

Yes but we have a 'definitive' tyre thread already and is there a definitive tyre choice in there? By heck there is.

Thanks for your replies guys. Have you got a link to the tyre thread you are referring to Kev? Which is the definitive choice according to that thread? Have you tried the BF Goodrich g-force profilers? How fast did you find they wore?

It's in the Drivetrain forum chap, entitled "Tyre discussion thread".

There wasn't a definitive choice really. Lots of different people like lots of different tyres. F1s get a lot of votes in there, but like yourself I have found they pretty average past 1/3rd worn and they don't last long.

I have run the Profiler Gs yes and loved them. In fact, when my Rado wore those on 15" solitude wheels, it's probably the most 'chuckable' it's felt in the 3.5 years I've owned the car. Wear rate didn't seem any faster than any other tyre I've used.

The G-Force Profilers and Profiler Gs are different tyres I think, but the similarity in name makes it easy to get them mixed up. I think the G-Force ones have only been around for a year or so. They also have completely different G-Force tyres in the States.

I get Cheesewires angle on this, for every mans hot tip there's a skanky tip waiting round the corner too.

Firstly though get your geometry checked, I used to run what I thought to be a perfectly tuned chassis on a previous Vento. Vince at Stealth did his magic one day and thereafter she felt sublime, I suppose you could liken it to running a cheap set of tyres then moving onto something like Toyo's R888 track/road tyres.

With regards T1-R's I rate them for grip in wet & dry conditions though my two sets got very noisy with miles.

I've also run Goodrich G-Profilers on a remapped GT TDI and they were awesome in the wet and fine in the dry too.

More recently I've tried Kumho KU15's and their replacement KU31's, both very good tyres in all conditions and extremely cheap too.

Continental ContiSport's I had on a Bora were quite nice but they wore too quickly.

Never personally had any experience of Goodyear's F1's but the Ventura was a good winter tyre when I used to run a few mkII GTI's.

Just my two pence worth . . .

I don't think anyone ever really imagined there would be *a* definitive tyre choice, it was really just a thread deliberately set up so people can discuss it to their heart's content, rather than having another thread every five minutes..

Of course, you can learn a lot by reading people's comments in the "definitive" thread, even if they won't tell you which is "best" by your own standards. But such is life ...

I have always used Toyo T1-R's, they are superb in the dry and very good in the wet. Mine are quite wide though on 9" rims and mines planted all the time, unless its greasy where no tyre will grip :lol:

I've used T1-Rs for the last couple of years, no problems. They last well and grip very well in the dry. I find them ok in the wet, never anything dramatic but I'm still tempted to try something like a Rainsport next time. I want to experience a proper wet tyre.