Sign in to follow this  
yeti

Yeti's back in a VAG Daily

Well its taken me long enough to get round to it but me and Ed were going at full speed this weekend! managed a bit of friday saturday and sunday afternoon... wasted so long dithering as i couldnt get the dash out friday aternoon (the bloody nuts at the back of the plenum chamber!! :censored: )

But this is as it stands now - on friday i'll be able to drop the headlining and upper trims and then drag the harness out completeley and then start installing the R32 one over the easter weekend :clap:

so just to show i havent been sitting on my arse like i did all winter :camp: i have wrecked my once lovely leather interiored C! :pale: ... it'll be worth it though :nuts:

interior_strip_1.jpg

interior_strip_2.jpg

interior_strip_3.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration on what im planning to do except i am in lazy mode still.

Good job you have that thinking chair...

LOL - Brings back memorys

memories or nightmares! ? :wink:

Thanks for the inspiration on what im planning to do except i am in lazy mode still.

Good job you have that thinking chair...

It was alot of fun in a weird way - the worst job of all has to be removing the colum and pedal box as lying on your back with at bloody front seat mount wedged in your back/shoulder whist undoing awkward bolts wasnt fun but it made it all the more satisfying when it came out!

Well minor update today after a fruitless long weekend on the car - other things got in the way so it stands as you see it here

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00940.JPG[/attachment:10zqmrlx]

With the last of the harnesses removed i dropped the fuel tank and all pipes were removed in readiness to butcher the floor as i decided i'd wait until i pick up my new floor this weekend so i can be sure what i need to remove!

The good news however is i managed to win these on kraut ebay this eve :clap: ...

c691_1.jpg[/attachment:10zqmrlx]

They are lh and rh complete rear trailing arms from a mk3 golf vr6 syncro complete with discs and pads (dont think i'll be using them but good to help get me rolling! V V happy considdering the bare trailing arm without any bushes or hubs are currently £317+vat from VW each and they're on back order and i paid alot less than that for these delivered! :D

These are what you need if you want to use shortened R32 rear driveshafts with the haldex rear diff as they have the correct 72mm bearing in unlike the smaller syncro/rallye one's... cheers sukh and all the random vwvortex peoples threads i've been trawling through

o and stupid me i dropped my rear bumper onto a spare old engine block today so what was a minty non scratched bumper is now looking like someones gone at it with a screwdriver with gouges and scratches everywhere! - o well!

Good find on those, know you were worrying a bit on those.

Where are you losing weight from on the car if you are putting it on a diet, ie are you chopping anything out?

Any further with the carbon?

Good find on those, know you were worrying a bit on those.

Where are you losing weight from on the car if you are putting it on a diet, ie are you chopping anything out?

Any further with the carbon?

I honestly havent looked at it with a view to loose weight properly yet, other than the odd bracket hear and there (rear seat upper and lower, and centre arm rest) the carbon'd slipped my mind :sleeping: will get on it - did will in a quotation thing on the performance trim site but it didnt go through and i couldnt be arsed to write it out again!... will get round to it eventually!

TBH a carbon tailgate and bonnet with the seats and lack of interior comofrts should make a huge difference to the weight along with loosing the standard 15.5gallon tank to be replaced with something smaller in the boot! but i weigh about 100kgs so i have to loose alot more weight out of the car than you! :lol:

i'm gonna charge on with the rear floor next and get the subframe made up when its all arrives/picked up so i can send my shafts off to be shortened ( and will post the exact lengths needed on here as i cant seem to find them from other build threads and its a v useful bit of info!) then whilst they're away i can get on with fitting the engine... tempted to trial fit it one night this week as the weathers so good but i'll see!

Aaaannnd your powering 4 wheels, about 100 odd kilo there to do that. I was just not sure how much metal can be chopped away inside too like the rear seat base has extra framework.

Not really in a rush for the carbon fibre just wondered thats all.

Aaaannnd your powering 4 wheels, about 100 odd kilo there to do that. I was just not sure how much metal can be chopped away inside too like the rear seat base has extra framework.

Not really in a rush for the carbon fibre just wondered thats all.

yeah forgot about the load of metal i'll be adding under there :camp: there doesnt look to be alot that can be chopped out although given a holesawe and free reign i'm sure i could find some areas worth chopping!

Well that was basically my thinking too, reminiscent of the motorsport rallye stuff etc.

Then with the cage to add any chassis stiffness possibly lost.

Hi mate,

NIce work, honestly say I am getting real excited reading you thread LOL. Even spent the other evening looking at haldex stuff LOL

Hi mate,

NIce work, honestly say I am getting real excited reading you thread LOL. Even spent the other evening looking at haldex stuff LOL

ha ha! cheers man, yeah its getting me excited now! - I spent last weekend on the rear floor but i am about as delicate as an oaf sometimes and after watching my mate surgically remove the left hand upper panel i then started removing the main panel and we decided it was best done by him! lol

(Ed is a pro welder and fabricator and i'm very pleased to have him there to keep me sane and provide the expert advice and skills!)

I am gonna be going up to blackpool to collect the floor and cross member + the syncro rear beam this friday from cubed on here - very nice fella! and once i have that cleaned up and ready to go in i'll be a v happy man :clap:

o and these arrived today...

DSC00951.JPG[/attachment:3nz3uqg1] :clap: :clap: :clap: so happy!

minty minty condition as described and bar a wee bit of dirt, the paintwork on the arms is original and without rust and the rubber bushes are still v v good... low miles ftw!

syncro subframe and floor picked up from cubed - phil - on here, thank you! blackpool to bedford, 3:15 on a friday afternoon and i didnt break the speed limit! a painless drive!

it looks pretty manky surface rust but after attacking it with a wire brush today - shes solid 8)

DSC00952.JPG[/attachment:1dcscb7p]

o and i'm a v happy bunny as the rear floor is complete with x member then it has everything needed to install the rear end (apart from the frame monts but hopefully will be getting these shortly)

rear beam trial assembled witht the mk3 syncro arms before i cut it to pieces and weld on the haldex brkts,

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00956.JPG[/attachment:1dcscb7p]

should have probably left the frame mount bushes in even though they were past it but i was determined to fully strip it of everything so it can be blasted and forgot! :camp:

didnt touch the corrado today... but i do now have a fully detailed golf 8) ... also nipped up the slight play in the rear offside bearing and took the induction kit off and put the airbox back in and a new panel filter on (£4.80 from halfords - bargain!) it now no longer sounds shouty but still pulls really well!... o also found the joys of aircon :D so i will be using it this week :clap:

DSC00964.JPG[/attachment:1nbpevum]

do you have 2 dailies? Good work on the clean. Double garage is also sweet ;)

o also found the joys of aircon

Eh? It can't be above 20 centigrade outside! Crack the window open and you're as cool as you need to be! :)

My Mum used to have a clean driveway before I let Zak remove an engine from a rado on it :lol:

do you have 2 dailies? Good work on the clean. Double garage is also sweet ;)

had the golf for about 5 years and it needs to go to fund parts for the C!

But the passats ps rack broke a seal and died on wednesday and despite managing to drive to work and up to blackpool and back on friday the motors now shot so its a bit heavy to steer with big 18x8.5's on the front and a heavy tdi engine on top!

o and also... not my driveway unfortunately but the parents house... need to get my own place but its cheap to live at home and the economys rubbish :D

Walesy i still feel bad about that to this day :lol:

Aircon is nice although i spent today driving round with my windows down listening to the vr. Where are you working on your corrado?

Haha, forget it , she sold the house a couple of years back, I only thought of it cos of the thread title :lol:

Yeti, didnt you have that MK3 for sale a while back?