mic_VR

mic_VR's VR - The Awakening!

just thought I'd post this pic as it made me laugh!

123456.jpg

Weird thing was, I was actually sat in the carpark at my local VW dealer at the time when I noticed it :lol: :lol:

What you mean made you laugh you were actually in it? :lol:

Actually I can't talk been so long taht my battery's kaput! :oops: And won't be out for Mimms either as didn't have insurance cert to hand to go to DVLA with.. :grr:

Nice one :lol:

Just a shame you cant quite get 789 miles to a tank of fuel :roll: :lol:

That's the stuff of dreams there Rob....... 789miles on one tank :shock: . As you can see in the pic I didn't do too badly on that tank. Averaged 31mpg but I have been driving like a granny in a vain attempt not to break anything else!

Nice one :lol:

Just a shame you cant quite get 789 miles to a tank of fuel :roll: :lol:

That's the stuff of dreams there Rob....... 789miles on one tank :shock: . As you can see in the pic I didn't do too badly on that tank. Averaged 31mpg but I have been driving like a granny in a vain attempt not to break anything else!

Yeah you havent done bad looking at that, still got some left as well. me on the other hand, i dont know how much fuel i have as my sender has packed up so i have to guess :shock: i usually just work it out by what mpg i average lol, im on 28 mpg at the min and getting very close to empty i reckon so hopefully i get it to a petrol station in time :roll: :lol:

Ok well after months of gentle blowing and various holes with various repairs, it's finally come time to get rid of the original exhaust off the VR and replace with something a little bit special. Namely a Techtonics Tuning full stainless system with dual Borla mufflers all the way from the US of A! :D It's a 2.5" full bore straight through mandrel bent system with no crimps or other dodgy stuff to stop airflow. Not cheap but ideal for when I finally get the turbo on it.

So the old 'suitcase' mid box was looking fairly unhealthy,

Various021.jpg

And after a few mins (i give up easily!) of the old hacksaw it was over to something a bit more heavy duty!

Various027.jpg

Luckily I had the old man around to give me an extra pair of hands in a bit of a tight spot and the rest of the system came off without a problem.

Then this bad boy had to be fitted, and tbh it was a lot easier than I was expecting. Maybe it was just because it was so well made or maybe I was just lucky but it seems to have lined up and apart from a little blow at the point where the new system meets the cat it's all working perfectly.

So before fitting,

Various030.jpg

And once fitted

Various036.jpg

Various039.jpg

Obviously I'll need to sort that crack in the bumper now....

Sounds good, nice rumble from idle to about 3000rpm then a nice bark. But when cruising its OEM silent which my Dad was a little shocked at :lol:

When we were fitting we decided to weigh the old and new systems to see the difference. Old system weighed in at 21KG but amazingly the new system weighed in at just 9.5KG! That's he kind of figures I like! 8)

Fair play Mic,that looks good. Might have to sell the magnex and get one of them buggers.

Cheers gents, I am rather pleased with it even though it was not the cheapest option. It was $840 for the system and delivery for the extremely nice people at Schimmel Performance, and then I had to pay £80 in duty & VAT when it made it to the UK. So about £500 all in but well worth it if you ask me. 8)

Only just started having a ferret through your pictures, looks stunning. Wonder how hard it would be to spray my white VR in aqua blue? hmmmm...

That second pic with the grass in the foreground looks superb 8)

It's not grass, it's wheat.

Stunning - love it!

Ahh you're making me blush! :lol:

Well a bit more work done on the car this weekend as I couldn't get along to E38. Basically went from this

DSC00027.jpg

To this!

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

And also fitted some clear side repeaters.

Suspension is a set of Weitec Ultra GT's (shocks & springs) with a drop of about 40mm all round, all kindly provided by Marcus.

Fitted in part in a friends workshop although had to finish off on my parents drive as it took a fair bit longer than I expected, but fairly lucky as had no problems with rounded bolts or the such like.

Only main problem was the fact that it was too low to get off of the parents drive after it was lowered without a good old scrape of the front spoiler..... maybe time to source a 50mm one! :lol:

The old springs looked in really good order but the shocks and the rubber mounting were all pretty much shag**d, but replaced with VW parts all round along with all new bolts etc so should be good for a few thousand miles yet.

Just need to get the tracking done now then I'll let you all know how it drives and maybe get some more pics up as well.

Only main problem was the fact that it was too low to get off of the parents drive after it was lowered without a good old scrape of the front spoiler..... maybe time to source a 50mm one! :lol:

You'll get used to that sound Mic, don't worry.. Splitters are made from tough old stuff. You'll now have to learn the art of Speed-hump driving...

Car looks good shame Little Boris and his family have been evicted though... or have you put them to good use elsewhere?

Well, that does look better! Glad you got her sorted after our aborted effoprt the other night!

On everyday roads the normal ride is absolutely perfect, nice and firm when needs be but with enough give not to be jarring. Only issue I have with the setup at the moment is that it was supposed to be a 40mm drop but now its settled (and after seeing an actual 40mm drop at the stealth RR day) its definitely more like 60mm+ which does mean that I manage to scrape the front splitter in pretty much everything as ground clearance in the centre of the splitter is down to a lowly 30mm! :shock:

On the plus side the noise makes my dad wince everytime I even try to get it in/out of the parents drive which is always funny, and it looks so much better. :lol: 8)

Looking good fella! Not sure your rear pads are making full contact with the disc though...

Oh yeah I forgot about that, should really update my thread a bit more often :lol: . Have now replaced the brakes all round. Brembo max and mintex extreme upfront and standard VAG on the rears, only point to make would be that the mintex pads are really noisy at low speed.... can be annoying around town.

Only issue I have with the setup at the moment is that it was supposed to be a 40mm drop but now its settled (and after seeing an actual 40mm drop at the stealth RR day) its definitely more like 60mm+ which does mean that I manage to scrape the front splitter in pretty much everything as ground clearance in the centre of the splitter is down to a lowly 30mm! :shock:

I told you i thought it was lower than 40mm! Mine was lowered 40 when i first had it and yours seemed much lower than mine was, almost as low as mine with the coilies on which cant be far off 60mm.

Whats the secret then mate? Is it rimmage secret or engine secret??

Cheers guys

MK1Campaign, don't think it was on pistonheads, but i got the ad off of ebay!

Can is generally in good condition, interior is spotless, although at some point it's had a bit of a dodgy blow over on the front and rear bumpers. Hoping to get this sorted soon

So far I've just been doing mechanical things on it. New aero wipers, new brakes and hoses all round, new cat, full service, new tyres etc etc.

And next on the list is new exhaust, rear bushes are shot, and need new sunroof seal and wiper guides (front outsides) as these have gone a lovely mouldy colour.

hi nice car good colour , i have to ask thou why did you put a new cat when you could have had a bypass for loads less and get some free bhp

like the system thou

Cheers for the good comments guys, mucho appreciated. I'll be getting some more pics up soon when the weather clears up for more than a few hours.

Rob, rimmage in my shed as we speak just awaiting rubber. plus a few extras over christmas off my wish list!

Paul, orginally I was determined to keep the car standard so put the new cat on it as i'd only just bought it..... but that plan didn't last long at all so its on with the modding! :lol:

ADZ, nah they've gone. Keep changing my mind but now i've settled on something a little different for the vr6.... don't think it's been done before and I think it'll get a bit of mixed response from the other forum members

watch this space.... :D

interesting cant wait to see em. that was just a cheap plug cos ive got some for sale ha :D

:lol: nice try... I think they suit a corrado but they were too big for my car at it's current ride height. So i'll give you a clue, my new wheels are 16's..... :? :lol: