Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

Was a very good weekend and I'll get the photo's up at some point tomorrow.

Obviously it was great to get the VR6 further along, especially the big jobs and hopefully we've made at least a little bit of a difference, and also just talk over the what you wanted to get done and a rough time frame. Like we spoke about it's always good to have someone else to work with and just chat stuff over.

I think it's going to be a really nice car once you're done with it mate and I'm looking forward to more updates.

Sorry I couldn't stay longer but I really enjoyed seeing the car and the rest of the guys.

My first drive in a VR6 too.

Mic's VR is great fun to drive.

The noise was fantastic and it was very punchy.

Good luck tomorrow. :)

and thanks again Stu for the bits n bobs.

Really good to meet you to Rob and put a face to the name, glad you enjoyed to run out in the VR we certainly didn't hang about did we! :lol:

Also really good to have a chat about you car and just to hear it when you pulled out of Toms, sounded like a rally car! Awesome! :notworthy:

Will be good to see the photos. :)

Should show a good bit of a difference.

Really really appreciated having you guys to help, it did make a big difference to me having other people helping with stuff.

Also really good to have a chat about you car and just to hear it when you pulled out of Toms, sounded like a rally car! Awesome! :notworthy:

Really regret not hearing/seeing it going. That's probably the biggest regret of the weekend, even worse than trying to chat the vicars girlfriend up.... :tongue:

I need to obtain...

Rear carrier to hub bolts

Alternator

Tyres

Cleaned injectors

More paint to sort the slam panel out

Battery

Will be good to see the photos. :)

Should show a good bit of a difference.

Really really appreciated having you guys to help, it did make a big difference to me having other people helping with stuff.

Really regret not hearing/seeing it going. That's probably the biggest regret of the weekend, even worse than trying to chat the vicars girlfriend up.... :tongue:

I need to obtain...

Rear carrier to hub bolts

Alternator

Tyres

Cleaned injectors

More paint to sort the slam panel out

Battery

Glad to be of service. Looking forward to the pics.

I agree with Mic, the 16vG sounded immense. I'm gutted I didn't ask to be taken for a spin. :(

Can't wait to see what you guys achieved.

I wish I could of stayed but I wanted to fit the cam etc before today so I can MOT it.

Without the cat and the 4 branch it does sound better than before. :)

I'm happy so far with the cam too.

Yeah Mic we didn't hang around,the car seemed to like the punishment though. :)

Well Tom at least it was the vicars daughter and not his wife or son. :)

Hopefully we can all catch up in the not too distant future,for more project update chat etc

More done over the last 2 nights. Rear suspension turrets painted, and waxoyl sprayed into them before rear shocks and springs fitted, engine bay wiring has been added too, and more ancilliarys, nuts, bolts and brackets attached.

Inlet manifold wire wheeled, and sprayed with WD40, slam panel cleaned and rust treated.

More parts ordered...

Handbrake cable clips, rear carrier bolts, oil pressure sensors, battery, alternator, splash shield, insurance quote obtained.

Need to order sump bolt (x1) and pipe from oil cooler to crack pipe tomorrow.

Been coming home from work then getting on with the car until 9.30 or so every night. Absolutely shattered now. Rear suspension bolts at the bottom have been bloody hard work where they needed tightening with the car on the ground, and a socket/ratchet wouldn't fit in the gap.

By the looks of things the suspension is going to sit a bit lower than the valver. Hopefully not too much lower.....

Sleepytime :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Hi Mate, thing moving on with this pretty quickly, be good to see a few pics of the results too if you have any :wink:

No pics at the moment. Mic has got several from the weekend though.

Tonight I was going to have the night off.... But....

Thermostat housing on, coilpack on, new alternator on, new battery on, passenger side door card on.... Then turned it over without plugs in for a while The filter had been changed and the oil pump swapped, so there was a lot of air to pump out. Looks as if fresh oil is reaching the tappets now, and the timing chain tensioner took all the slack up. Fitted a new rocker cover gasket and wound it down tight. Need to put more oil in before I start it.

Also started painting the slam panel. Located someone to bead blast my wheels, and ordered hopefully nearly the last of the parts I need.

2 things concern me now. 1 is the fuel, which is pretty manky after 18 months. Pumped 5l out when cranking it over and it smelt somewhat off. Hopefully it'll be good enough to squeeze through the MOT. Secondly is that the main beam illumination light was on all the time the battery was connected. Hopefully it's just where a lot of things need plugging in/earthing, but it does seem weird...

Spectacular amounts of progress.. it's so close I can almost smell it :)

Might well be worth syphoning that 18 month old fuel out dude and just sticking a tenners worth in there of something known good / fresh. You might be chasing terrible running issues which could end up just being down to bad fuel when you first get the beast fired up!

Spectacular amounts of progress.. it's so close I can almost smell it :)

Might well be worth syphoning that 18 month old fuel out dude and just sticking a tenners worth in there of something known good / fresh. You might be chasing terrible running issues which could end up just being down to bad fuel when you first get the beast fired up!

It is getting a lot closer. Absolutely shattered from keeping at it every night at the moment, but making tangiable progress is HAMAZING. :)

Need to sort the drivers door out, fit the door card and make a membrane up for it, and fit the plethora of parts that I'll pick up Saturday. Should be able to get all the cooling system connected up and a few bits of wiring sorted, then it's a case of waiting for the injectors to come back and finishing the wheels and getting tyres fitted to them.

Would like to have an MOT booked for Thursday/Friday next week so I can get some miles on it before I go to Cambridge on the bank holiday weekend. It'll be tight, but I reckon it's doable....

pics! :clap:

Sorry being a bit slow in putting them up. Took loads so if you want anymore just let me know.

Dirtytorque and myself

DSCF1073.jpg

Mmm 288's freshly refurbed and fitted, wasn't sure on the colour at first but think they look really good

DSCF1078.jpg

The Beige Boy Wonder helping out on the rear :camp:

DSCF1095.jpg

Spot of agricultural machinery for anyone? This is how you get an engine in/out!

DSCF1098.jpg

DSCF1100.jpg

Engine going back in......doesn't my bum look big in this?

DSCF1107.jpg

Close of play on Sunday

DSCF1111.jpg

And one for the Mods, a nice big........................................

Cock!

DSCF1097.jpg

LOL! :) Nice pictures mate. Amazed to see Louis Theroux getting involved.. will farmyard car maintenance be the follow up to his programme on Crystal Meth addiction in California?! :)

LOL! :) Nice pictures mate. Amazed to see Louis Theroux getting involved.. will farmyard car maintenance be the follow up to his programme on Crystal Meth addiction in California?! :)

Hah! Possibly... he's nothing like he is on TV in real life!

Awesome. :) Cheers dude. :)

Need to take some pics of her as she sits now really. :)

Had a night off tonight. Planning on getting to bed early.... Fail....

Wow, great progress! Good to see you are feeling positive again :D

Wish I had a garage as big as yours!!!! :grin:

Good luck with getting her ready for the MOT.

yes, its a superb place, i must admit i was a tad jealous too. Loads of space, covered, easy access. Couldnt have been given to a nicer guy too :wink:

Cheers! It is bloody good having the space and equipment to hand. :)

yes, its a superb place, i must admit i was a tad jealous too. Loads of space, covered, easy access. Couldnt have been given to a nicer guy too :wink:

:) Thanks Hasan! How's the conversion going?

I challenge anyone to say they have a better engine crane. :)

Been out loading and stacking big hay bales with it this afternoon. Nice to get back into the swing of things again.

Here's some pictures from today. Not managed a great deal, just finished off a few bits, fitted the splash shield to the rear disk, rear carrier bolts, fitted a few electrical connections, refitted more interior trim, emptied crap out of the car, bled the clutch, sat in it, and pretended I was driving, etc...

Looking at the pics, the layer of waxoyl seems to give the appearance of dirt, or rust in a few places... it's not really like that... Honest...

Also the arch in the last picture is one I have filled and painted. Far from happy with it, but I think it looks passable...

hey pal, glad to see it's coming along, car is looking good - not long now! :D

by the way - my shell is now going for free, i remember you were pondering it - it's all yours if you want to come and collect it...

keep us posted pal :)

looks like it is coming along really well Tom - not be long before you can take it for a spin :clap:

the arch looks excellent btw

Cheers Guys... Hopefully be running this weekend. Looks like I won't have it MOTed till September now. Nevermind.

Also I was wrong about the halfords paint... It is right, it's the car that's the wrong colour.

Pics from last night's bath...