chazrad

Charlie's Corrado VR6 Turbo

June Update:

Been a while since i last updated this. so thought a quick update was in order: Put the car back on the road in April and it flew through its MOT But in prep for putting it on the track at Castle Combe on 31 May, there were a collection of niggles that I wanted sorting out - things like brakes bled firmer, billet gear linkage bushes fitted, my Aquamist finally connected up and working, EGT probe replaced, a seat squeak sorted, oil and filter change (another one!) and finally my recently acquired KW V3s fitted. Everything was done perfectly, along with a couple of other little jobs, by the Phirm. And it was all finished very late on the eve before the track day.

Have to say that I am delighted with the KW V3s. Currently set to middle on both bound and rebound, and am amazed how supple the ride is compared to the V1s. I was never unhappy with the V1s either, but the damping on the V3s seems sublime. I also thought that given how compliant the car is on the road, it would be too soft on the track without firming it up; in fat, it was absolutely fine. The car is sitting quite high at the moment, a good 20mm higher than before, but whilst the car settles on the new suspension, and in order to avoid rubbing on the track it was perfect.

Loving the ol' girl at the moment; sadly just not enough time to enjoy her. After the planned CCGB Wales road trip in September, I am planning a respray to bring the exterior up to standard with the rest of the car.

Edited by chazrad

Where did you get your V3s from?

Who's doing your paint? Will be great to see the car once its all done (not that they are ever complete)...

Have to say that I am delighted with the KW V3s. Currently set to middle on both bound and rebound, and am amazed how supple the ride is compared to the V1s. I was never unhappy with the V1s either, but the damping on the V3s seems sublime. I also thought that given how compliant the car is on the road, it would be too soft on the track without firming it up; in fat, it was absolutely fine.

Good aren't they? :)

I'm afraid when it comes to suspension, you most definitely get what you pay for!

I found mine performed best with a 2 finger gap and for the road, they worked superbly with the softer 325lb / 228lb spring option KW offer.

Did you say your discs were badger 5 Charlie? are you still happy with them after some track time?

Kev - had heard you can get softer springs for them but I'll see how I get on with the Coilovers as they are for the moment.

Yes the brake setup was put together by Bill Brockbank at Badger 5 about 5 years ago now. Still the first set of discs , and I am happy with them even after a few sessions on track over last year and this. I have also got the rear brake upgrade set up (280mm discs) which is frankly unnecessary given how little work the rears do comparatively. But overall the brakes are fine.

Forgot to mention that the sump is now baffled to prevent oil starvation on the track. Wasn't sure it wasn't in fact overkill, but better to be safe than sorry.

Goldie - re paint shop, not going to anyone you are likely to have heard of. The guy is based at Thruxton near Andover. Seems the perfect type of place to me. No bling or scene, just good old fashioned painting ability. Will see how it goes later this year. Got various bits of trim Nd things to get in the meantime.

Edited by chazrad

Love what you've done with this car over the years Charlie. I'm sure you've blazed a trail that many will want to follow. Would love a spin in it one day - I can still remember the last time (pre turbo days!)

Car stripped ready for respray. All parts bagged up and labelled. Wheels swapped over. Car Collected tomorrow. Away for a few months probably. Still some bits to get. Excited and nervous at the same time....

With the Corrado gone, I spent some time on Saturday cleaning the Golf. Snow foamed, washed, clayed and waxed. I love this car with Vento front end. I love the Rado more obviously, but the Golf VR is an excellent daily and a great place to be, especially with Dave's short shift fitted, and a really beautiful Alcantara re-trimmed steering wheel and gearknob. A couple of photos of the car today.

Very nice Charlie :) Always wondered what the MK3 Golf VR was like to drive.. a lot of people used to slate them for being very spongey and soft in the suspension department, but honestly isn't that what you want from a daily driver generally? :)

How goes the OBD2 VR6 motor feel compared to the one in the VR?

Jim, having done all the bits to mine now, it corners on rails. The polybushes, KW V1s and roll bars stiffen it up a treat. I changed the front engine mount recently to a competition mount, and it has removed all the slop in the drive train that I hadn't even realised I was living with. So much tighter and more direct. And because the front subframe is isolated from the chassis by rubber mounts, there is no extra transfer of engine vibration. Win win. With one of Dave's short shifts fitted and having changed to solid billet shift tower bushes, the gearlever is like a rifle bolt too.

I'm in love with it again. So much so I don't want to drive it in the rubbish weather because it'll get dirty... And I've already got one car like that...

Oh, and re OBD2 smoothness, I am spoilt with OBD2 in both cars, so no difference between the two. I can report though that OBD2 is just that bit smoother than OBD1 which we all know already. And the idle control is better. Neither car has given me any problems in this area so far, so little else to say.

Edited by chazrad

I'm going to need a daily soon Charlie and you're tempting me with a golf vr now!

Looks fantastic mate.

Good luck with the respray. Did you choose the chap who operates out of a unit near Thruxton?

Yes I did but I don't think he's started on it yet though. This was the last I saw of the car last Monday.