Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

Rear Bearings

Can anybody comment on the following rear VR6 bearings on offer compared to standard VW.

Europarts and German and swedish have cheaper bearings made by SNR and Orbis, approx half and 1/3 third of the price of VW.

Or should I be sticking to Standard VAG equipment.

TIA

Dont use gsf ones their pants mine lasted only 5k. last time i fitted unipart ones all good so far...

Dont use gsf ones their pants mine lasted only 5k. last time i fitted unipart ones all good so far...

I'll second that, I replaced rear bearings twice in a year with GSF parts, the bearing races were pitted to b*ggery. VW all the way now.

yep VW only and last time i bought some they were less than £15 :)

The ones from vwspares (AVS) are similar prices to the GSF/ECP ones, but are made by Febi, which are really good quality.

The ones from vwspares (AVS) are similar prices to the GSF/ECP ones, but are made by Febi, which are really good quality.

I have used a lot of Febi parts over the years and can highly recommend them.

However ....i buy Febi parts through Volkswerk in Middlesborough...they sell Febi rear wheel bearings for £8.99 inc postage.

thanks chaps VW it is then... 18.50 each inc VAT is current price.

Does this mean your Corrado will move out of the garage? :tongue:

LOL..... Only to the MOT station next week, half a mile down the road and back :lol: I will use the Vauxhall to pick the parts up :(

Ive just bought all the front suspesion components for my VR from AVS and can corfirm they are Febi.

Bugger i'm just about to fit GSF ones that i've had waiting to go on for a few months now... never mind, 5k is better than leaving the old ones in there i suppose. Now if i could only get the bolts out that hold the carrier on i could change the discs! Anyone got any tips on how to do this? I've tried blow-torch, maybe try it for longer this time.

Bugger i'm just about to fit GSF ones that i've had waiting to go on for a few months now... never mind, 5k is better than leaving the old ones in there i suppose. Now if i could only get the bolts out that hold the carrier on i could change the discs! Anyone got any tips on how to do this? I've tried blow-torch, maybe try it for longer this time.

Blow torch is good, also give them a good soak overnight with plus gas but give them a whack with a hammer first to break the seal. You need a splined socket bit rather than allen bit (can just round off the inside of the bolt head) and a breaker bar. I used a 10mm bit which is slightly oversize and hammered that in. It can be a bit scary when the breaker bar is starting to bend then bang and they come undone. Also a good idea sometimes to try and tighten them a bit more first. Good luck :)

Cheers, i'll try some overnight soaking then some heavy hammer action as i've given up for the mo and am hoping my mechanic mate will be able to fit it in sometime.

Will pop down to Chavfords in the morning and try and pick up a socket bit as i am fearing rounding off the bolt heads!

Cheers,

Waz

Guys, just use Irwin Bolt grippers on the carrier bolts if they are bad, takes seconds to get them off... no need for heat etc!!

Guys, just use Irwin Bolt grippers on the carrier bolts if they are bad, takes seconds to get them off... no need for heat etc!!

I keep seeing good things written about these 'Irwin' bolt grippers, I think i'm going to have to get me a set!

Cheers for the advice guys

Waz

If you have started the sockets with allen keys, and don't have access to irwins, use a hammer and punch on the head of the bolt, both on the side of the head and on the end. you'll help break the seal, as Bill says, and you'll slightly bur the end of the hex over so it'll grip the allen key better, you might have to drive the allen key into the socket, but that'll only help to free it off. also, buy some allen key sockets, much easier yo use a 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar on a socket that putting pipe over an allen key.

Blimey, that was a job and a half! Thank god for Irwin Grippers! Bit of a pain to get them to grip - i ended up using a G-clamp to squeeze them onto the bolt heads but after that it worked a treat!

Waz

i got GSF bearings last time and they've gone now, dont rate them much.

brought VW now, £25 a side :o

Does anyone know how tight to do up the hub nuts on the rear?

i got GSF bearings last time and they've gone now, dont rate them much.

brought VW now, £25 a side :o

Does anyone know how tight to do up the hub nuts on the rear?

Do it up finger tight, then with a socket and ratchet on the nut, put the ratchet horizontal and rest your hand on it. Thats how tight it should be.

EDT - actually that guide is where i got that information from.

The Irwin Bolt grippers, do they work on this kind of bolt to?

DSCN1934.JPG

Those are the bolts that's holds my Corrados carrier in place, I dont know if there are the same on your cars... I really want to have the crappy parts removed but the only makes me swear and get angry! :censored:

Yes mate - they work a treat, even on brand new and perfectly round bolts... amazing tools!

I've personally never had to use them of the rear carrier bolts, I've just used a method similar to Toads above with an allen socket but I have seen some really rusty ones on some cars probably due to garages not replacing these bolts when doing a disc change.

Yup i used the Irwins on the carrier bolts. After i tried all other methods over a period of 2 days. Save yourself the hassle and time and get some Irwins. Took 5 mins to get them off with them.

Sounds wonderful!

I didnt know how they worked but now I see that they screw on to the bolts head as you forcing it to loose.

Perfect! Im going to order some on the great ebay :notworthy: