Sign in to follow this  
snattrass

Which is the best engine?

The 1.8 16v has less sensors and stuff to go wrong but boosting output is tricky, due to the, more reliable, mechanical injection system!!!

Ha! Rubbish. I've never heard of a VR breaking down due to the injection system.

I think he was talking in relation to the 2.0 16v rather than the VR6

It just seems that when weighing up which of the models to buy, purely from a cost of ownership point of view, there would appear to be a greater risk, generally speaking, because of the more vulnerable engine, of incurring higher costs, more frequently, with the VR6 than would be the case with the other Corrado models!

Personally, my opinion only (so please don't flame me :lol: ), I think that is not the way to look at it. VR6's are expensive to fix, but I wouldn't say it was any worse than any of the other models

I disagree, loads of parts are more expensive for the VR6 than they are for the 4 cylinder models, they're definitely a more expensive car to own IMO :tongue:

R32, i hope :lol:

Bang on Karl, buy a decent VR for about £2500 and whack a low mile 24v in it...... now that sounds like a plan I could entertain! :wink:

:)

extra valves, boost, so many options!! :D

Turbot

This?

TurbotEpineuxTacheteTurbotTropicalentierfilet.JPG

Why do all your cars have to smell like fish? You've gone wrong in your mindtank :scratch:

If you want light power, go for an Origami V12

paper-engine.png

:clap:

^^^that probably works very well on paper :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 1.8 16v has less sensors and stuff to go wrong but boosting output is tricky, due to the, more reliable, mechanical injection system!!!

Ha! Rubbish. I've never heard of a VR breaking down due to the injection system.

I think he was talking in relation to the 2.0 16v rather than the VR6

Yes I was, more tuning options on the 2.0 but more to go wrong.

I work at Rolls Royce, their improvement plan for those engines was rather ingenious and is what made them so reliable. They basically took an engine off the production line, ran it at full power until something broke, and then whatever broke was strengthened and improved and inserted into the production line. Then they would take another engine and do the same. This was done over and over

so did mazda with the rotary wankle engine ran it at 16,000 rpm for 2 weeks but nothing broke !!!

pity they cant make the tips last more than 20k grrrrrr

stu ..

no matter what way you look at it a Corrado is going to cost you money to keep it going as it is going to be at least 13 years old. Though it wont cost you as much a new car. Are you planning to do all the work on the car yourself? If you are starting to learn about engines and want something easy to work on and has big(ish) power a g60 is a damn strong and simple engine, I'm no mechanic and I had the injectors swapped out in about an hour. General maintenance is simple as well, timing, changing the coil, distributor arm and cap, leads and spark plugs all this stuff is really cheap and easy. But the obvious expense all g60 owners have to suffer once every 40k or so is a £450 supercharger re-build, but that isn't a bad price to pay with all the savings you have on the home servicing and lets face it full VAG service history really isn't that big a selling point once the car gets past 100k. I can't speak personally about the 16v engines as I have never worked or driven any of them but the VR's are great engines and as cheesewire says they love the boost, so if you want to go for big power the only choice (not including 20vt or r32) is a VR.

just my opinion

How come if the 2 litre 16valver is essentially just a bored out 1.8 16valver it is slower to 60 if my memory serves me right?

flatter intake cam, lower red line and taller gearing, it is definitely more torquey though, much flatter torque curve and all low down and mid range.

On the subject of Corrado engines, it seems to me they are all pretty well engineered and the bad press each gets is usually down to the first components to suffer from neglect.

So what is the most cost effective way of boosting VR horses (since we're going down that route)?

Buy this :wink: :lol:

Oh and Mic LOVE the avatar, nice hair dude! :rofl:

Yep, Audi bought one of Cosworth's wings many moons ago and put them to good use. The Audi RS4 V8 is Cosworth's work aswell, and boy can you tell!

Yep, Audi bought one of Cosworth's wings many moons ago and put them to good use. The Audi RS4 V8 is Cosworth's work aswell, and boy can you tell!

a reliable 8000rpm out of a 4.2 V8 - glorious :D

have you looked at the V8 in the BMW E92 M3 - from looking at design piccies, i think each inlet has it's own throttle body - lovely stuff!

I can't recommend the 1.8 / G60 too highly.

Owned, and still own, the same unmodified C for 17 years and 208000 miles. No engine or 'charger rebuilds, or indeed the gearbox, which is still sweet :clap: .

Suspect I've been lucky.... oh, except for the ECU which VW replaced FOC 204000 miles ago.

Rich