Sign in to follow this  
moneypit23

What do i do with a dead corrado?

Come on :-) more details on the problem, someone else is bound to have had the same problem at some point!

Ok here are the problems:

Sometimes it starts perfectly but sometimes it's really rough and need a touch of throttle to get it up to the normal idle speed.

When driving, the engines starts to get juddery and the revs jump up and drop off to the point it cuts out (battery light comes on) but it carries on running? Weird that one. You can't drive it like this, yesterday it was so bad i had to stop in the middle of the road.

It only used to do this when i had been driving for a while now it either does it or it doesn't. When it does do this there is also a massive explosion-type noise coming from the exhaust, really not good! The cat-bypass exhaust is pretty much goosed and sways around and i don't know whether this is contributing.

I also have an intermittent indicator problem (they are either working or they aren't) but we have narrowed that down to the fusebox being internally knackered but wiggling the relay around sorts it. I noticed yesterday that the fusebox (cover is off) was roasting so maybe it could be affecting other relays/fuses which control the engine?

The fact that the problems don't occur every time i drive it (left it about an hour yesterday and then it drove home as normal) makes me think its electric related as physical mechanical damage would be apparent every time surely?

I really don't want to scrap it as i've replaced so much of it, heater matrix recently springs to mind. I think i might garage it somewhere if i can find one and have it as a project but in the meantime i need it working, more now than ever before because i'm really busy.

Any help and ideas would be much appreciated.

Kate

sounds a lot like a £20 fusebox and a couple of hours under the dash would not be a bad place to start!

but if you wanna give up on it, I'm sure someone else can fix it ;)

I've got a new fusebox off shaung60 that came today but it'll probably be at the sorting office until saturday when i can go. I'll change that and have another poke about but i'm not hopeful.

The tax runs out end of november and the MOT is due in december so you can see why i'm wondering about what to do.

I would be replacing it with a VR though.

Just to give you a reason to keep on at it...

i had a problem that whenever i put my drivers window all the way down, my window fuse would blow. I spent weeks looking behind the door card at broken wires or for other signs of wear n tear.

Turned out to be the wire that entered the fuse box had been cut sometime in the past and it wasn't reconnected propperly, so altho i was looking at the route of the problem, the door and window, it turned out to be somewhere totally different!

Keep on at it, you'll get there in the end!

but we have narrowed that down to the fusebox being internally knackered but wiggling the relay around sorts it. I noticed yesterday that the fusebox (cover is off) was roasting

Hi

What experience does the 'we' have in car-electrics.

Which part of the fusebox was roasting. You can touch the relays and let us know the number on the hottest relay.

but we have narrowed that down to the fusebox being internally knackered but wiggling the relay around sorts it. I noticed yesterday that the fusebox (cover is off) was roasting

Hi

What experience does the 'we' have in car-electrics.

Which part of the fusebox was roasting. You can touch the relays and let us know the number on the hottest relay.

It was the one for the indicators (19 on the top row at the right) the whole thing was pretty warm though.

The indicators may be a completely seperate issue to the running issues, and as mentioned some of the relays do get a bit warm which is normal, have you tried a replacement indicator relay, or is there definatley a bad connection in the fuse box?

the alternator light will usually come on when the revs drop too low which is also normal, are you sure the running issue is not ISV or fuel related?

I had a dodgy idle for ages and ages......also sometimes it would run like a bag of nails.....cutting out,revs really high then really low,kangaroo fuel .....all stopped when i found two of the 3 wires that control the throttle potentiometer were broken(inside the plastic sheath)....quick re connection and all has been well since

Good luck

I had a dodgy idle for ages and ages......also sometimes it would run like a bag of nails.....cutting out,revs really high then really low,kangaroo fuel .....all stopped when i found two of the 3 wires that control the throttle potentiometer were broken(inside the plastic sheath)....quick re connection and all has been well since Good luck

I had this exact problem on my 89 Golf GTi, and it turned out to be a cable running from the dizzy was shorting on the engine due to split insulation on the wire, easy to sopt easy to fix, worth a check! (if you have a valver of course, sorry forgot to check what car you have before sharing this!)

Dan