Sign in to follow this  
dukest

Petition against national speed limit reduction

You've probably heard that the government is considering reducing the national speed limit on rural single track roads to 50mph. If not then theres a news story here.

For those that believe they can judge for themselves the difference between safe and not safe at 60mph then the petition against this is there for the signing:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

Cheers

John

Good one coming from someone who lives in London! (Like me!)

Problem is if Govt won't takle it on the local councils will... Bucks already seems to have a blanket 50 limit on most roads these days! :( :cuckoo:

It just furthur emphasises the view that people just can't bloody drive these days :(

Signed it though :)

Wish they'd tackle more important stuff such as knife crime, the economy and gangs of drunken kids roaming the streets.

Even though the figure for road deaths hasn't come down in the last few years, it hasn't really risen either, so when you consider that there are more cars on the road every year, the percentage is actually coming down. Another pointless waste of government money.

I need to move abroad.

Yup, look at Scandinavian driving tests...

Denmark- minimum of 60hrs Instruction with a registered tutor, plus Skid-pan training...

Here- couple hours with mum/dad, no skid training or motorway...

I'm all for P-plates restricting new drivers to "Low HP" cars and have to take extra modules (Motorway/night driving/skid-pan) to lose them.

Sad fact is that most kids these days haven't learnt to drive in anything without ABS/TCS/ESP etc.. and when they fianlly can afford their first (probably old) car have no idea what to do when they get into trouble as there's no computer nanny to sort it out! :cuckoo:

All Driving School cars should have the ability to switch off these Nanny features...

this nanny state drives me insane at times. looking forward to a less restrictive lifestyle elsewhere in a few years!

My only question would be; how are they going to enforce it? There aren't any police in the countryside anyway. I've lived in our village for nearly 2 years and I've seen ZERO police presence. When I lived in the sticks up in Shropshire, I think I saw the police twice in 15 years and one of those times was at the Primary School

:epicfail:

this nanny state drives me insane at times. looking forward to a less restrictive lifestyle elsewhere in a few years!

Amen to that brother! :grin:

My only question would be; how are they going to enforce it? There aren't any police in the countryside anyway. I've lived in our village for nearly 2 years and I've seen ZERO police presence. When I lived in the sticks up in Shropshire, I think I saw the police twice in 15 years and one of those times was at the Primary School

Because they're hiding in the hedges with Speed cameras... All you'll see if their envelope! :grin:

Exactly at the end of the day it will either be ignored by the majority thus causing animosity from law abiding citizens

Or the 'people who always drive 10 mph under whatever speed limit is in force' will p1ss EVERYONE off and cause accidents with people taking unecessary overtaking risks.

removing the speed limits on country roads would be better, most people don't stick to them anyway and there are never any police out there, plus you are limited by the road itself. All the speed limits do is make oldies drive a continuous 10-20mph under them. So if there were none they wouldn't be able to do that!

Petition signed. I'm really fed up with the government :hitler: :salute: limiting what everyone is allowed to do.

If we keep going this way, all British citizens will be curfewed, and only allowed out of their homes after 7pm if they apply for a special licence, which will obviously cost a lot of money.

Driver standards should be increased, rather than adjusting laws to suit the worst drivers.

Driver standards should be increased, rather than adjusting laws to suit the worst drivers.

Quite!

Well I can see both sides of this. I like driving as quick as anyone but I also like hacking horses out and bike riding with my kids so..... I don't think all single lane roads should be 50mph but some country lanes that are 60mph are dangerous. There is a road by us called the Hightown Bends, it's national speed limit but there is about one or two stretches that you can do 60mph but you'd need good brakes to stop if you were took by surprise. You'll regularly see cars upside down in fields or planted in ditches.

Unfortunately the unchecked population explosion in this country by people that no longer conform to the laws of evolution has resulted in a growing population that see a national speed limit and expect to be able to drive at that speed without regard.

All the speed limits do is make oldies drive a continuous 10-20mph under them. So if there were none they wouldn't be able to do that!

Err OK! :cuckoo:

Exactly at the end of the day it will either be ignored by the majority thus causing animosity from law abiding citizens

Or the 'people who always drive 10 mph under whatever speed limit is in force' will p1ss EVERYONE off and cause accidents with people taking unecessary overtaking risks.

I regularly get stuck behind a woman who insists on driving 40 in a 60, I overtook her the other day and she flashed her lights as if to say i was some kind of dangerous driver, then a couple of minutes later we came to a 30mph where I did 30, and she caught me up prettey quick so she must have been doing 40 still (probably trying to make a point to me) :roll: god I wish there had been a speed trap I would have had a right chuckle to myself on my way to work!!

I used the A354 ( I think...or was it A435...A345.. er anyway ) from Salisbury down to Dorset yesterday, just after lunchtime, nice and bright, no glare, dry, empty roads with long range visabilty - could even see into the fields to see no tractors were gonig to pull out on me. Miles and miles of 80+mph tarmac, beautiful. :)

Oh yeah, obviously I dreamt all this.

The petition is a waste of time, they never take any notice. I'll always drive as fast as I can when I am certian its safe for me, pedestrians and other road users to do so. I fecking hate peolpe who drive below the speed limit! - By this I mean the afforementioned 40 drivers in 60 zones.

With smokers under manners.....its car drivers next....big bro don't give a f**k what you think. Unless your CEO of a collapsed bank LOL

I regularly get stuck behind a woman who insists on driving 40 in a 60, I overtook her the other day and she flashed her lights as if to say i was some kind of dangerous driver, then a couple of minutes later we came to a 30mph where I did 30, and she caught me up prettey quick so she must have been doing 40 still (probably trying to make a point to me) :roll: god I wish there had been a speed trap I would have had a right chuckle to myself on my way to work!!

I see that all the time. Exactly how cr@p a driver do you have to be to do 40 when it's safe to do 60 and then carry on doing 40 when you get to a 30? Absolutely diabolical.

Yea, just signed it myself and posted it on facebook for allll to vote on.

Most roads round my area are now 50, I largely choose to ignore this fact and can't understand people who now go 10 mph under the new limit where before they probably did 50 anyway, I ignored it at 60, lowering the speed limit by 10 just means I'm speeding 10 mph more! Catch me if they can.

Oh yea, I have a deep hate for those people who do 40 in the 50 zone and then don't slow down at all for the 30 zone, I stick to the residential area limits as I think it's sensible. Just goes to show that a lot of people who hold a driving licence should have it taken off them, as well as their cars!