ben_wooduk

Removing Side Trim

I gave this a go at the weekend, It took ages!!

There is loads of useful info on here, some horror stories and some not so useful info. I was a tad nervous about ruining my paint to say the least, so thought I'd post how i did it in pics and hopefully help others! Sorry in advance if this thread is useless, it kept me occupied for at least 10 minutes :D

I found the best way was to heat up the rubber trim as much as possible. Gently pull it away from the sticky foam leaving the foam on the car. Then heat up the foam and pull that away. I was then left with er.. crap all over my door. Spent hours with Autoglym Tar remover removing every last little bit. You could probably do it quite quickly if you wern't so picky, otherwise you will spend hours making it perfect(trust me, Hours!!). To finish off i needed to T cut (horrible stuff) the entire revealed section. Then give it a dam good clean and polish.

I chose my weapon (thanks to the missis :))

Weapon.jpg

Every one knows what they look like attached!

Start-1.jpg

Started with the front wing piece, didn't take long at all to remove. Its the doors that took ages for me, depends how brave you are i suppose, i took it really slow!

DSC00623.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

Extra set of hands is very useful!

DSC00635.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00630.jpg

Finishing touches!

end-1.jpg

Not the best pics, but i don't think its looks that different in the pics. Looks alot better in person.

Front1-11111.jpg

Rear1111111.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

This took me soooooooooooo long its untrue! but its definitly worth it. Just make sure you get the kettle ready, and the biscuits :lol:

Break.jpg

looks so much better without the plastic, i had to do that small plastic part on the front on mine, i havent been brave enough to do the whole lot yet lol but i think you may have just given me the motivation to do it lol

i did mine but found out i had a respray coz there were paint marks where the body shop had taped up the bumper strips, plus some paint came off on my door, so i put them back on.

Good work mate! I'm too nervous about doing this on the VR, tried it on my 1st C and pulled a shitload of paint off, think I used too much heat! Ended up sticking them back on. :lol:

Nice rims BTW. 8)

i plan to do this so should be useful, thanks...

need to get my drivers door resprayed anyway so not to worried about that one but i'll have to be careful on the passenger side

I did this on a spare door which I'm about to paint. I wasn't worried about paint coming off. I just used a kettle of hot (not boiling) water to soften the glue and the trim came off pretty easy. No paint came off either and most of the glue came off with the trim. Longest part of the job was waiting for the water to boil! Hope this helps.

Paddy

Agreed boiling water worked best for me.

Have to say though unless you are considering a repaint Im not sure I would even attempt this!

Matt

Never thought of boiling water to be honest, seems a good idea though.

Didn't want to knacker the paint up either. Its took 2 corrados and about 3 years of ownership to pluck up the courage :lol:

I just thought if it goes pear shaped, i'll just attach the side trim back on. Whats the worst you can do with a hair dryer :shrug:

To be honest now its done, its the best paint on the car :lol: and it cleans the side of the car up perfect.

As long as you heat the hell out of the trim, and go very very slow you should be ok, or was i just lucky :cheers:

looks really good mate so wished mine was that good mine just pulled all the filler that i didnt know was there not i got a deep holeeeeeee :(

good work ! :clap:

looks really good mate so wished mine was that good mine just pulled all the filler that i didnt know was there not i got a deep holeeeeeee :(

Think thats the biggie. You need to be absolutely 100% that your car has not had any paintwork. Otherwise you are gonna make a mess :nuts:

Think thats the biggie. You need to be absolutely 100% that your car has not had any paintwork. Otherwise you are gonna make a mess :nuts:

yup indeed and i cant put them back on coz it will look a b******d ive toutched it in for now and gona try and save for a paint job it needs it any way just a bit of a pain !!!and also being soft there is bits all along that its taken off ill try and get some pickys up! :(

It takes a lifetime but it gets the job done. We were very careful anyway and took our time over it. But the autoglym stuff worked well

nice guide mate. does that autoglym tar remover work well??? im going to do the bump stips tomorrow.

Also i know the stuff gets slated on here, but using T cut (carefully) helps because there will be dried bits of glue left on the paint work.

It took me about 8 hours per side because i was being really careful (all i heard was horror stories on here about paint peeling etc).

Reckon it could be done easily under half that time! :)

Car looks way better for it mate and I'm just as particular so I'll prob end up taking even longer than you did :lol:

Whole car looks ace :notworthy: I'm gonna have a go at this and the all red rears this weekend :norty:

Been contemplating this for a while. The rear offside piece came off of it's own accord a while ago, which was handy but left the adhesive crap all over the place. I found that, not having much else to hand, cellulose thinner gets that stuff off in double quick time. Pretty well just dissolves it. Nothing I've used since seems to work as well... obviously have to clean it off the remaining paint sharpish, and it's pretty nasty stuff.

Only thing I found when the strip was off was that there was an imprint of it in the paintwork under. I have had that panel resprayed when the sill was repaired, but I don't really want to get all the doors resprayed if the other strips have left a mark so have been reluctant to remove them.

Its probably a mixture of slightly bleached paint under the adhesive, and dulled paint where its exposed everywhere else. A good machine polish by a pro will bring them both much more into line I reckon, and will have the whole car looking mint. Worth a thought, and a single stage can probably be h for the same price as a door being painted.

I used heatgun to soften the adhesive. They were glued again with something heavy... flakes of paint came of too. Well car is going under a paintgun so good sanding and primer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its probably a mixture of slightly bleached paint under the adhesive, and dulled paint where its exposed everywhere else. A good machine polish by a pro will bring them both much more into line I reckon, and will have the whole car looking mint. Worth a thought, and a single stage can probably be h for the same price as a door being painted.

From memory I think it was slightly recessed as well. Bit odd, but I think it has had the odd bit of respray down the years (not well in some places) and maybe they left the strips on and sprayed around?

I'm not sure how well that would polish out if it is recessed? I agree would look a lot better though, especially as I've sort of got half on and half on at the moment!

Ah right, its unfortunately quite common where lazy painters haven't removed the strips. It could be wet sanded I suppose to flatten it at the edges, but in all honesty it probably won't change the fact that the colour is slightly different. It may not be overly noticeable but it'll catch the light in one direction and you'll notice it immediately, which can be very frustrating and you'll know its there so can be quite annoying!