easypops

My VR6 and Storm

Nice to see you getting the car sorted Easy. I would kill for a ramp right now lol .

It's not mine mate, it would be magic to have one though , wouldn't it?

I keep thinking I've got to move house, so I can build a bigger garage with the space/headhight for one. But the missus isn't for moving out of the city and finding a property, within budget, with the space I need seems impossible. I've even thought about raising the height of my own garage to accommodate one.......one day maybe :)

Ha ha, not the storm mate, this is the 16v I picked up for a song a few months back. It's going to be the daily until the red VR is ready, then the storm will go in for paint, which will force me to get the twilight VR out of the garage :lol: .......plus the breaker VR :)

I can't keep up with all of these.

Took the cover off the Storm project today for the first time in ages. Reason being it's officially booked in for its respray, which is mid March. I've a few things to do before it goes away, like refitting the fuel tank/steering wheel, plus a drivers seat. Still to remove the sunroof and a couple of trim bits

E095B6D2-C613-4D8B-9FA9-42E02FC8ABD1.jpg

Mmmmm nice.... you doing the paint prep.

No mate, I'm giving it to a body shop as it'll need a professional to do it right. The guy I'm using concentrates on repair jobs mostly and only takes one full respray at a time, which he works on between other jobs, which means he might have it a couple of months(max), and that'll suit me fine as I'll need time to get the long forgotten twilight VR out of the garage, as the Storm needs a warm place to come back to :)

Got my storm re-sparyed the other week, wrong time of the year really but my mate had a slot for me, he's usually stacked out. When they are freshly painted, the classic green and mystic blue are some colours!

Make sure you keep us updated with body shop pictures! Looking forward to seeing it in fresh paint

Make sure you keep us updated with body shop pictures! Looking forward to seeing it in fresh paint

I will mate, I'll probably get banned for harassing them :lol:

They post progress/repair shots on Facebook so some pictures may appear there

Got my storm re-sparyed the other week, wrong time of the year really but my mate had a slot for me, he's usually stacked out. When they are freshly painted, the classic green and mystic blue are some colours!

Looks great mate 8)

So, I got the 16v back from the garage, with a wee list of jobs I needed to do myself, so as I was off today, got stuck in.

1. Passenger door handle repair, luckily I had this from a previous time

18FB64B0-F9CA-4653-B6F2-AA1E084CA86C.jpg

All sorted and working great, well done daves16v

2. Change the wipers to Lupo gti onescas the standard ones are very poor indeed , dead easy , stole the wipers off the twilight vr hiding in the garage:lol: Also put a little bumper gel onto the very faded windscreen trim

2584F384-CEE7-47E7-B930-8D493F7E367E.jpg

3. Investigate the leak at the top of the radiator.......turned out to be dead, luckily enough I had a vague memory of buying one for my old valver years ago.....quick rummage in the loft found it, delivered to me mid June 2008!!! That's proper hoarding:lol:

Picture of the old one

67968273-E241-4110-9A76-2CB3BF5B499D.jpg

New one in and all seems well, no leaks.......yet :)

4. Fit a stereo, mmmm, found no speakers in the front door cards and the wiring is missing/hiding. Also found some strange wiring at the plugs for the said radio, no pictures as I gave up at that point because the stereo didn't work, I'll look at the fuse tomorrow

I took the seats out today and hoovered the cabin, then shampooed the carpet and all the seats, trying to remove the smell of the car, as it's very stale..... it did sit about unused for 12 years.

Cleans up ok though , gave it a good blast of Fabreeze, also cleaned and conditioned the gearstick gator.

The reverse light has also packed in, fuse/bulb etc are all fine so I'll change the switch on the gearbox and hope that sorts it

4D270088-A3FC-4ED2-ABDC-0E210B54E4E9.jpg

A3CAE2C8-1C23-4316-B91E-D152FAB26AE5.jpg

Small update, the Storm was due to go for paint this week but it's been postponed due to the body shop not being quite ready for it, no worries though as it's only a couple of weeks delay.

I stripped the metalwork off both bumpers and put them in the car along with the sunroof lid, replacement grill, new mirrors and the rear number plate light cover

44D7E6C9-DD96-45AB-8E64-E943E6CEF837.jpg

Which only left the spoiler to remove.......

Then I found this

40CDEF94-6B8B-49BF-92AB-CA1B7E0AE6DE.jpg

After a wee poke with a screwdriver

B3C65C79-4D85-49EB-AC70-06F65A55398D.jpg

I'm now glad of the delay as I'll be swapping the tailgate over this coming weekend I guess :lol:

It will be great once painted. I think I'll be in a similar situation too looking for a new tailgate

Couple of wee updates coupled with a question or 2 :)

The 16v, which is now my daily driver developed a clunk when pulling away, so a quick investigation found a burst cv boot on the n/s and the wheel coated in lovely black grease.

As the driveshaft looked quite rough and the inner cv being as old as the outer I decided to get a driveshaft from j&r with both cv's already on it.

84B19498-3AD8-4D76-ABEC-625D01E1992E.jpg

Then I went to swap it over, all the bolts came out ok but in a schoolboy error I tried to remove the track rod end bolt to remove the hub so I could get the driveshaft out......I broke the track rod end bolt......and I couldn't get the end off the rod, completely seized with rust. So I had to order a full new track rod and end, which still hasn't arrived.

I bought the removal tool, which made the job very easy although I did have to cut through the rod to use it

45EDF0E0-4889-4252-93FC-CBC36ACC0FEE.jpg

On another note, I've been trying to strip down some VR front hubs and I'm struggling to remove part of the bearing that gets stuck on and I can't get a puller on at there is next to no lip on the offending bit

Middle part pressed out

84EE98AB-EDFD-41FA-8D41-E6F6CB6BB9A5.jpg

Leftover bit

9782C07E-027E-451A-9190-D15E90C1C0C6.jpg

B1C1C7E2-DBD4-4DAF-AD98-64FBC3E40682.jpg

Can anyone tell me an easy way to get this off?..... I have 4 like this :lol:

Hammer and chisel always works for me!

Sent from my SM-J500H using Tapatalk

Ha ha, I was hoping for some finesse before getting the persuader involved:lol:

I've used a grinder, followed by a tap with the chisel once weakened, I had to use a press to get the NSF CV out of the hub on mine.......

I've used a grinder, followed by a tap with the chisel once weakened, I had to use a press to get the NSF CV out of the hub on mine.......

Cheers Dox, looks like force is the answer then. I've actually got the new driveshaft fitted already, and it was very straightforward.......very surprising for me

Lovely sunny day today, I've been up early patiently waiting for the elusive track rod assembly for the 16v, but still no sign.

So as I was outside I though I might as well do something productive......

6E2F3534-AAAF-4C23-80B3-F2E5119313CC.jpg