James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

Thought I'd better post something on my re-build thread before it either gets lost into the threads of mother time or people start to think the old girls been decommissioned on a more permanent basis.

To be brutally honest, you'd have thought I'd sold it, by the general lack of input she's had in my life for the past few months. The Brooklands meet next May has re-energized my desire to have her ship shape and Bristol fashioned before then.

Had a couple of hours this morning to have a little fettle, so started to clean all the pipes.

P1050350.JPG

Not much to see or say but all part of the cars current lifestyle.

Edited by James.

Managed a good half day on the engine today. Set to scraping all the old paint/oil/rust off the block (what a joy of a job) and then broke out the set of triple square sockets that arrived in the post this week.

Before I know it, the flywheel's off and we're into the realms of chains and tensioners. It's a job that in the back of mind I knew would need doing. The car came stacked with history (and 175k miles), but nowhere in there was any evidence of them being replaced before. It would be foolish to take the engine out and not replace them so here we are. Time to be hopefully proved right that it was the right decision.

Judging by what I found, it looks like I caught them in good time.

P1050575.JPG

The upper guide had broken at the lower mount. Part of it loitering about in the sump. Whilst halfway down, the old guide is a quarter width from breaking in half. Crikey !

Lower guide is worn but not that badly.

The lower tensioner is worn and fit for replacement but it's the upper tensioner that's taken a beating. Worn through to the rivets at the top, and then broken away at the bottom.

I'd have replaced them today but I wasn't happy with the quality of the new upper tensioner (see other thread). So this may need to go back yet.

So it seems my engine may have lived long enough for me to catch them.

Now then, where's the Swarfega ?

Edited by James.

I also used to own L35 WAG. Have you any idea where it is now because I want it back!!

How would I go about tracking it down?

Your car is looking great!!

I also used to own L35 WAG. Have you any idea where it is now because I want it back!!

How would I go about tracking it down?

Your car is looking great!!

When did your ownership begin and end then ?

I sold it early summer 2006. It ended up in Morcambe for a couple of years. Poor lad seemed to have everything go wrong with it all at once (I had to replace the starter motor the week I sold it !). I nearly bought it back, as it was for sale at Tatton Park in the cars for sale section. Didn't bother as he clearly hadn't kept it up to (ahem) my standards.

The lad who bought it after that was on here briefly (about 2 years ago). He was based in Bristol. I've had a trawl through all my old posts, but as the forum was archived a while back, finding old posts is quite a challenge.

After that, the trail goes cold. Don't ever remember seeing it for sale, and it was too good for a breaker, so maybe it's languishing about somewhere, un-loved. Or maybe it's being really enjoyed by someone who doesn't frequent this ere' establishment.

Either way, It would be great to see old Les again.

Thanks for the kind words on the Campaign. I plan to finish it this year. But I've said that before...

I bought it in 2007 from the guy in morcombe and spent some hours getting it right! After that i sold it in June 2009 to a guy in Halifax. After that I have no idea!

I would like it back though! I'm sure I'll find it again!!

I bought it in 2007 from the guy in morcombe and spent some hours getting it right! After that i sold it in June 2009 to a guy in Halifax. After that I have no idea!

I would like it back though! I'm sure I'll find it again!!

That makes sense, as the man in Bristol bought it from a chap in Halifax. He can't have had it longer than twelve months then.

If I can remember the chaps details on here, then be sure I'll forward them on.

Let me know if you have any joy in your quest.

all the best, James

So I thought i'd have another couple of days at the Campaign.

Where to carry on ? Well, I might as well start stripping all the nasty old loom tape off the loom. Most of it's rotted away and what's left is this black sticky/oily mess. It'll give me a good chance to inspect the wiring for breaks while I'm at it.

It was a bit of a boring job. But it gave me the chance to do it at my own pace, sat in the bay, with the heater and radio on. Playing pop master and sipping sweet brews with only myself for company. Brilliant.

When you've got a "too do" list as long a mine, it's easy to loose focus. So I then decided to remove all the last components from the engine bay / scuttle area. When to air con was fitted, way back when the car was new. They sealed it up with all the finesse of a five year old. What looks like black silicone has been poured into the scuttle area and "smudged" into all the openings/grommets. Being extra careful to drag all the excess under the inner wings and bonnet hinges. A thing of beauty it is not.

Then moved onto the exhaust. And then this is where the game plan really takes a beating. Dropped the front part of the exhaust and removed the cat forward. So I think to myself "Ahh sack it, lets take the back box off as well". Thing is, it's an original exhaust, and they are huuuuuge. So I'm sat on the floor, sipping my brew in quiet contemplation, when it hits me: "Maybe it would be better to drop the rear beam off ?".

rear beam off.jpg

And that was that. By the end of the second day, the rear beam and all the braking components are stripped and ready for the powder coaters (And there's me saying that next year was the back end).

Ran into a couple of issues (Rear beam bush cup removal and brake compensator). But managed to come out on top. Had to cut one of the bush cups out and had to cut the compensator off. But managed to get it off in one piece. I'll face the compensator on the milling machine and drill out the bolts when I'm back at school next week. But I don't envisage any serious issues.

rear parts for blasting.jpg

I'm just thankful to whoever replaced the rear brakes just before I bought the car. They made sure that ALL the bolt threads were covered with copper grease.

My arms are aching now. Never imagined the rear beam to be THAT heavy. Feel like I've been bench pressing with Lou Ferrigno !

Edited by James.

James... James... you have lost your engine!! Very lax of you I must say..

Nice work (started) on the rear beam though I don't know what you're talking about re it being heavy. I've carted a few about over the years, and my write up re doing so will hopefully appear in the next Sprinter :)

I even aquired a third beam at one point that had disks & calipers still attached and that was heavy. But I still managed to get it in the rear of my 8v all by myself. I accepted the offer of a big burly man to get it out at the other end of its journey though and he was surprised that I had got it in all by myself ;)

Looking forward to more pics.

I'll have some of what you're eating then ! You're right though. It's a dead weight with all the brakes bolted on.

No need to worry about the engine Judith as it's just out of shot. Times like this, I wish there were Corrado worker elves that arrive in the middle of the night and make good on any awkward work. Or is that just wishful thinking.

Just added some more pictures, as the upload halted my attempts last night (I guess the website went to bed before me).

I included the rear bush picture, as I've seen a few like this. Worth showing to all those who may still be running on the original rear bushes.

rear bushes destroyed.jpg

What did you do about the rubber bush that's on the bar, inside the rear subframe ? Mask it off ??

Look forward to the article in the sprinter.

Got to chip tough, got to put some washing out, then off into the garage to carry on with the work. Powder coaters tomorrow hopefully.

Edited by James.

Think I will start bugging you for your own article James, a campaign restoration project split over a few issues would be a great idea ;)

mid bar bush I took off and fitted a new one post painting. Came off remarkably easy and the new one popped on no trouble with a bit of lube!!

Ah.. more pics and you took it off with brakes attatched still. Fair 'nough, it's pretty heavy then. To elaborate, when I was getting rid of my 3rd one and got up early for work, got it in the 8v wearing 'working on car' clothes then showered & changed for work so didn't really want to wrestle with getting it out when all suited & booted for the office. It would have been too heavy then!

Think I will start bugging you for your own article James, a campaign restoration project split over a few issues would be a great idea ;)

Sure thing. Let me know what you want and I'll do my best to oblige.

mid bar bush I took off and fitted a new one post painting. Came off remarkably easy and the new one popped on no trouble with a bit of lube!!

Ah.. more pics and you took it off with brakes attatched still. Fair 'nough, it's pretty heavy then. To elaborate, when I was getting rid of my 3rd one and got up early for work, got it in the 8v wearing 'working on car' clothes then showered & changed for work so didn't really want to wrestle with getting it out when all suited & booted for the office. It would have been too heavy then!

I didn't realize that it popped off. It looked to me as though it may have been factory fitted on the bar and then welded in place.

Fair play with the change of clothes.

The back ends pretty much been relieved of all it's hardware as of today. Shocks off, bumper off, petrol tank out (with about £30 left in, ooops), tank straps off and heat shields removed.

Removed the bumper iron from the rear and front (forgot to do it before, eeek) and spread out the bits to see what was what. Still need to have the front bearings pressed from the knuckles though. Off to the garage for them to press out the remaining parts in the morning.

Decided to remove the metal support plate from the rear bumper. Does anybody know if these are available ? If not, I'll have to fab up a new one, as I would imagine they're all as bad as mine. A real rusty crisp.

Well, for purposes of being complete ( and a small field based education ), Oscar and I had a little father & son road trip today.

First off, we loaded up the 8v with the rusty gold cargo and set sail north to Chorley. Where upon we docked at North west powder coaters on Friday street (how apt).

The chap I used to deal with had moved on to pastures new. Unfortunatly he'd taken his superb pricing policy with him. I had to barter to get the price down on this little load (which I'm not unpleased with). In fact for the amount I''m having done (40 pieces) it's still a great price. And more importantly, I'm confident with the the product they provide and in a timescale which suits us both.

Whilst there I showed Oscar the process of shot blasting and powder coating. Though he had slightly less enthusiasm than I'd liked.

After that, It was back in to the arms of mother Wigan and an hour in the dryer air of Corkills VW.

I did my best to throw my number one parts search game at them, and almost came out on top. It went a little like this:

Front brake callipers: £97 each, exchange With a £20 buy back ( not a bad deal ).

Front and rear brake carriers £95 each ( not a great deal ).

Front control arm knuckles/carriers £288 each ( a less than great deal ).

Steel heat sheild that sits in front of the fuel tank ( not listed, booo ! ).

Rear bumper steel insert (as shown above) discontinued. Shouldn't be surprised.

Oscar made a bakery out of Lego ( must have been the hot chocolate that helped his creativity ).

Came away with two rear disc brake shields. With Oscar nearly persuading a family into buying a new Beetle ( get him

on comission now methinks ) and a sense that this car is going to get really expensive by the time Oscar takes ownership.

But hey, the mantle is being passed. Hopefully it'll be a few more years before you hear the worryingly popular words "breaking due to being financally irrepairable".

Nice picture of lots of bits. Well done on taking the tank off, serious sign of commitment. men in white coats will arrive any day soon!

Nice picture of lots of bits. Well done on taking the tank off, serious sign of commitment. men in white coats will arrive any day soon!

Hopefully they'll turn up only once it's finished.

Fingers crossed I've located a good condition rear bumper support. Still on the lookout for a fuel tank shield in steel.

If anyone can help, then please, email the action line or answers on the back of a sealed down envelope or postcard to the usual address.

Next week we look at my nuts. And how bathing them over night will hopefully bring new life to old parts...

Fingers crossed I've located a good condition rear bumper support...

wouldnt happen to be attached to one of my many spare bumpers would it?

Pow and the dirt is gone.

P1050939.JPG

Literally, hot off the press. The parts are (like AC/DC) back in black and in fine fettle. Will set to the underneath of the car in the next few weeks. Get all the arches cleaned and finished off. Loom wrapped and then kick off the rebuild. Mainly because I'm running out of places to put all the parts. I'd better crack on.

Had a little sit in the cabin. It reminded me what a nice place to be it is. Even though the view is obscured by dust sheets.

Also very glad that I spent the last few weeks "having a go" and removed all the rear end. It was the right decision and It's re-lit the flame for me.

Small but important steps.

Edited by James.

There is something about a pile of freshly powder coated bits. Hope you keep the momentum going. Book it in for an MOT that always helps :). Jay