big ben

under bonnet insulation - what have you done with yours

well they have all fallen apart, more than others in some cases... what i want to know is what you have done with yours (if anything)

has anyone successfully taken it off and been left with nice paintwork??

also, i think we should post pics, see who has the worst, who has the best, and who has the best DIY insulation

:D

mine is still the original stuff after 187,000miles, i think it will need replacing soon, but most of it is still there

I did mine a few years ago with Dynamat hoodliner, which cost about £40 a roll at the time IIRC.

All I'll say about the glue / paintwork is, get some glue thinners otherwise you'll be there forever picking it off with your finger nails....

Mine was falling apart, so took it off. Absolute nightmare job! It takes hours. I used a really sturdy ice scraper, Disolv-It spray (apparently identical to the orange stuff VW use, only cheaper and available in supermarkets), white spirit and plenty of rags. Make sure you cover the engine bay with a sheet first, cos it get's everywhere and ends up like really sticky bogies :lol:

I would have bought new stuff, but as above, there aren't any left for older cars :(

Taken half of mine off (the flaky half!) Used WD40 to desolve glue which worked well. Gonna finish job and buy the original stuff I think even at 100 squid :gag:

i might try using that tardis stuff to take mine off, i bought a gallon and hardly found anything to use it on :lol:

i might try using that tardis stuff to take mine off, i bought a gallon and hardly found anything to use it on :lol:

i find its rubbish at removing anything other than tar, which its very good at removing! i would look for a sticky glue remover, there must be something better to use

i find its rubbish at removing anything other than tar, which its very good at removing! i would look for a sticky glue remover, there must be something better to use

sounds silly but has anyone tried petrol? thats dissolves most polymer adhesives... just don't go round doing it with a fag in your mouth!

I did mine a few years ago with Dynamat hoodliner, which cost about £40 a roll at the time IIRC.

All I'll say about the glue / paintwork is, get some glue thinners otherwise you'll be there forever picking it off with your finger nails....

Neat job that. Goin back a bit though - still got V9 in!

Did you have to spec your insulation so as to stop innocent bystanders gettin heatstroke then? :lol:

As a matter of interest though, was VW's intent to provide noise or heat insulation?

Is it necessary to replace it? Can you remove it and just leave it clean and clear?

Is it necessary to replace it? Can you remove it and just leave it clean and clear?

yeah, but it does absorb a lot of noise, especially the OEM foam with the 'holes' in it to aborb certain frequencys.

All you need to do it is use white spirit (not turps), a paint brush, an old credit card and a cover for the engine bay - decoration sheet from B&Q.

1. Use the credit card to shave off the foam.

2. Brush on white spirit, cos of the slope of the bonnet, apply at the top of the pad area and brush down.

3. Wait about 15 mins, apply some more white spirit.

4. Allow to soak for about an hour.

5. When it's ready to come off, the adhesive will droop off the under bonnet. Use the credit card to take it off. Any stubborn areas, apply more white spirit.

6. Wipe the areas clean with a cloth damped in white spirit.

7. Wash the areas with car shampoo and water, wipe dry.

It'll take about 4 hours including waiting time.

if you read ingredigents on the tardis all it says is white spirits and xylene

thats all that is in it, its mixed with xylene so it rinses of the paint better...

that sounds good to me, did you take any paint off when doing it?

Nope, and so its the right stuff you get hold of, I used B&Q White Spirit. ;)

removed mine the other day,it was falling apart, everytime i opened the hood a new piece of foam would be sitting on the engine :( prety simple to remove but you need to get the correct materials, Tar and glue remover! a paint brush and a good old wall paper scraper with a slight custom curve :) makes light work of this dirty jerb!

This is the best view of mine near perfect after 17 years............

That looks immaculate mate! i'm in the same boat as VW_OwneR_85 with it falling off every chance it gets :D

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

This is the best view of mine near perfect after 17 years............

That looks immaculate mate! i'm in the same boat as VW_OwneR_85 with it falling off every chance it gets :D

I took my bonnet off, stood it up on one side on top of a a tarpaulin, and scraped off the majority with a paint scraper, it comes off in big strips really easily.

Then I was just left with the glue surface. So put some old bits of foam down and lie the bonnet flat. Get a pot of thinners or petrol and pour a bit onto the glue. You'll see the glue absorb the liquid, I did it in the sections and you have to kind of balance the bonnet to steer the flow of liquid, it's easy. Wait for about a minute, and then get the paint scraper out again and scrape the remainder of the glue off, again it comes off really easily in tidy strips which bunch up onto the scraper which you can then flick in the bin.

I work with this every day u wanna try removing a full sprinter digital wrap !! The stuff u all need to use took me half our to do and doesent leave any damage to paint work is a spray called avery surfice cleaner you spray on it softens the glue then scrape it of with a squeege you will probs be best ringing them direct or contacting a company called william h smith who supply vinyle and all other matariels