n3p

Green Storm Turbo - Sold :(

The boost controller is a handy addition and relatively cheap add on Stealth use a forge one which works well with very little spiking. Well handy for when the air temps change or you can go down the ebc if you want it in the cabin

lol, that S3 engine isn't doing anything until 5000 and as for the S/C comparison, that is confirmation right there that SCs are a waste of time and money (imo) :D

That is going to feel night / day faster than your old S/C setup mate :)

lol, that S3 engine isn't doing anything until 5000 and as for the S/C comparison, that is confirmation right there that SCs are a waste of time and money (imo) :D

Thing is Kev, SC and turbo are not comparable on power or price. SC cost is under £2k if you can fit yourself and buy second hand. No need for gearboxes or LSD or any other big budget items. Less hassle and more power than a comparable NA set up where cams, head work and a six branch plus labour would cost the same as the SC.

Turbo is £4k for the Stealth kit, plus £1000+ for gearbox recon and LSD, plus optional extras like boost controller, traction control etc

The VRT is hands down the best power option but you can't compare apples to oranges :)

Really like your boost gauge,

If you do make a new one using another mirror,1st dibs on the original one !

If it stands the test of time and still works when the other one is done then we'll talk :) I've been asked to make one for a Mk3 so I'll see if I can refine the process.

The boost controller is a handy addition and relatively cheap add on Stealth use a forge one which works well with very little spiking. Well handy for when the air temps change or you can go down the ebc if you want it in the cabin

Cheers, I'll definitely look in to the forge one. I think a call to Vince is in order!

Without wanting to get in to the whole SC/Turbo debate all I can say for now is that a charger just wasn't for me. I enjoyed it for about a month max before I got really bored of the power delivery - all that top end power just isn't how I like to drive, although I can appreciate that others may really like that. For someone like me who isn't that handy with a spanner a SC is a much cheaper alternative, but if you've got £2k for a charger then you're nearly halfway there to get a turbo kit ;)

A big debate about SC vs Turbo wasn't my intention. I did put a "imo" at the end of my comment, because for me it was a waste of money as I hated the power delivery. Everyone has their preference though :)

You pay your money and take your choice. A basic S/C setup is indeed pretty cheapish, but I spent £1000s on my S/C setup trying to get it drive nicely, eventually culminating in 321hp (12psi pulley) but only 250ish torque. I enjoyed the whole engineering side of it but it wasn't much fun to drive. Numbers only tell half the story and it didn't feel anywhere near that powerful on the road. The belt slip issues, MAF getting wet issues, no torque below 4000rpm, boost dropping 4psi at the faintest whiff of an intercooler etc etc, erm no thanks :)

Turbos don't have to be expensive if you restrict yourself to sensible boost levels and everyone loves the midrange thump in the back. Now that we have 99 RON petrol, you could do a nice 8psi turbo install without even lifting the head or changing the clutch etc etc.

Turbos get VERY expensive when trying to put down crazy amounts of torque!

Turbos get VERY expensive when trying to put down crazy amounts of torque!

Tell me about it :) I had my IHI powered Octavia for 18 months before the bills just took the fun out of it. Gearboxes, clutches, blew a turbo that came to £2000 and constantly replacing vac hoses and boost pipes.

I'd love another mental turbo car but not as a daily as that was.

Tell me about it :) I had my IHI powered Octavia for 18 months before the bills just took the fun out of it. Gearboxes, clutches, blew a turbo that came to £2000 and constantly replacing vac hoses and boost pipes.

I'd love another mental turbo car but not as a daily as that was.

Turbos are great for systematically breaking every weak link in the chain until your house has been repossessed :lol:

Picking it up tomorrow, and I cannot wait to drive it back! It's been too long since I last saw the old heap. I expect my wallet is going to take a severe beating though :lol:

Picking it up tomorrow, and I cannot wait to drive it back! It's been too long since I last saw the old heap. I expect my wallet is going to take a severe beating though :lol:

That'll just be paying the bill! Not envying that one! :)

Agree, you will be laughing your head off the whole way back.

I never once grinned when I did the NA tuning or the Supercharger, but turbo was always hilarious!

Be prepared for big fuel bills Nick because VRTs are the very car you take out for the hell of it. Just popping to the shop for milk dear....... 5 hours later..... :lol:

I bet you cant wait! Make sure you go left out of Stealth also ;) Unless you need fuel that is :)

Once you get used to how much it drinks its really not too bad, well worth it for the laughs anyway

I will definitely report back once I am home :)

Hopefully the rozzers aren't about on a Friday afternoon, but I don't think I'll be going too crazy anyway. As for fuel, well I guess it's a good thing that my mpg counter will be wildly out!

Definitely left out of stealth ;)

Vince sent this earlier, didn't really want to show it as my manifold, plastic cover and everything else bar the turbo stuff looks manky (it's on the list, I'm looking at you clumpy!) but it does show how tidy the install looks...

f40f73c46ed51dabe076585059846051_zpsf4b39fc4.jpg

Roll on tomorrow!

Looks plenty tidy enough to me!

Once you feel that thrust, you won't concern yourself with what it looks like under the hood :)

Just got back from Stealth.

All I can say for now is OMG!

I will post a report later, I'm off to drive it some more! :lol:

I was speaking to Jon earlier to book my car in and he said you schitt yourself :lol:

LOL yeah I wasn't quite expecting that level of power, it was like repeatedly being first in the queue for a white knuckle ride at a theme park :)

For the benefit of some who asked about the stealth turbo:

Firtly, I must say the level of service is top notch and I can't recommend the stealth guys enough. Vince and co spent a long time explaining everything that had been done, the reasons why and how to maintain the vehicle, recommending the best plugs, oil, etc. it was obvious that a hell of a lot of work had gone in to the car, and IMO it represented excellent value for money if you're seriously considering turbo but don't feel confident enough to DIY.

As for the car itself, well now I completely understand why some of you guys chose to turbo your VR6s, I've never felt such brutal power in a car before, it was disgusting and after the initial shock I was laughing all the way home.

Setting off for the first time was driven off boost due to congestion, here it behaved exactly like a normal VR6 should and if taken easy I think the mpg would actually be pretty reasonable. The helix clutch judders ever so slightly when pulling away, but I'm told that this is perfectly normal (it isn't enough to be a hindrance though). The custom exhaust note is certainly quite unique and hinted that something was a bit different with the car.

As soon as the road cleared it was time to see what this thing was capable of. From the end of second gear I floored it, and held on for dear life! It felt like the car had been attached to a giant slingshot and catapulted down the road - everything around me just became a blur as I went in to warp speed. I was worried that the lack of Racelogic would see me endlessly wheelsplinning, but the LSD was more than enough in the conditions to put the power comfortably down. Third gear was even more savage and from here on it was just relentless, never ending power. The exhaust when opened up sounds like nothing else, and the recirc valve gives a god almighty whoosh when you let off the throttle :norty:

What goes up, must come down though, and a random emergency stop showed me how good the tarox brakes were. I would definitely recommend them to anyone as the stopping power is almost as brutal as the acceleration. The only pic for this post, a before and after. They fill the wheels a lot nicer than before (17")

def31d094fe46838a37c4aa050643b5f_zps726182ca.jpg

After paying the final balance it was a 2+ hour journey home, which only re-highlighted how fast the car was. Even in 5th, it pulls extremely hard and it was a matter of seconds before I was at license losing speeds. Unfortunately I didn't really come across anything exotic to test the car against, but I'm not the kind of guy to provoke anyone on the road anyway. At 70mph you can drive off boost too so as not to empty the fuel tank too quickly! Through the twisty roads the LSD just made the car feel so much tighter and controlled, a definitely worthwhile upgrade.

That's all I can really say for now, but for anyone considering getting this done - you will not regret it. Yes it's a fair bit of money, but definitely worth every penny. Pics and videos to follow, it needs a clean!

Nick

I wish the 24v manifolds would take boost without breaking too easily. It looks so super oem and I'm slightly jealous! Congrats, you've obviously worked hard to both earn the cash and improve your car. What size tyres are you running get on your ch's?

Cheers! I'm sure there must be a manifold solution for the 24v ;) no excuses! The CHs are running 205/40/17 Falken ZE912. How about yours?