Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Certain clutch problems....All done!

Pulled into the work carpark this morning and the clutch felt a little different, by the time I'd found a space and parked up the clutch biting point had moved from the top to the bottom and was getting more difficult to engage gear. I'm guessing I've got a master or slave cylinder seal problem, can anyone confirm this and if so which one could be at fault?

So now I'm stuck at work with perhaps no clutch, I might be able to get home but trying to get across a city centre at rush hour is not going to be fun so I might leave work at lunch so it's less busy.

I could do with some advice regarding diagnosing the problem by the time I get home if at all possible so I can get the repairs started as it's my daily driver. I can get hold of seals fairly easily, hoping I don't need complete cylinders as I've read they might be obsolete :(

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Dave, it could be either now with the age of these cars... when was the fluid last changed?

It used to be more likely the be the slave but say that's been changed before then it may be more likely to be the master.

It's look for fluid on top of the gearbox but you only get this usually when it's really bad - also look at the slave, original ones were pained black, new ones are unpainted alloy.

I wouldn't drive it - do you have AA cover?? - If so get them out and let them diagnose, they may even fix it if they can source the part easily.

Firstly thanks for replying quickly chaps.

Don't know when the fluid was last changed.

There are no leaks from either the master or slave and the slave is unpainted NOT Black. I don't know when or if these have ever been changed.

Yes I have AA cover, might give em a call.

Checked the fluid level and it's ok.

sounds like the slave has already been replaced then, if either was leaking I'd have thought the brake fluid reservoir would have gone down a fair bit.

Cool - hopefully the AA bloke with bleed it and you should see from the colour if it's old.

As the slave has been done it's more likely the master - you will really only see the fluid level drop if it's obviously leaking - ie fluid ontop of the gearbox or inside the car from the master.

Just got back in from seeing AA man. He bled the system, fluid was pretty dirty, still no leaks, no air in the system so he's putting it down to a faulty master cylinder. He even lifted the cover on the top of the gearbox and could see that the release bearing was ok.

He lives locally and called a mate who works at ECP, master cylinder came in at £58. I'm gonna give GSF a ring too.

Is it still the same then Dave? - Just if the fluid was dirty then it's maybe 5+ years old as I've done mine after 3 years and it's been really clean.

I'd maybe get the brake fluid done asap too based on the above!

£58 is a bargain for a master - just check it's the right one though as I know what ECP/GSF are like - will probably give you a brake master cyl!

Yep it's not made any difference to the pedal feel or biting point. Agree I should get the brake fluid changed.

Just spoke to GSF they can order it at £87+vat with 5 day delivery which I thought was strange as ECP are doing it for £58 next day delivery.

AA said it will be ok to drive home so will drop by at ECP.

My biting point got really low then it wouldn't engage at all........changed the slave and re bled but no joy........turns out it was the release fork which had cracked and bent.......not sure if this is relevant as your release bearing etc seems to be in order, just thought it was worth a mention as i'm not the first to have had this issue.

Hope you get it solved easy enough mate :)

I had this same problem, no leaking fluid, not drop in fluid level. but when i tryed bleeding it the clutch just didn't work at all. Replaced the master cylinder (£70 from TMS i think) solved the problem :)

I've ordered a replacement from ECP total came to £68 inc vat but it's coming from Germany in 2 days. Must say the AA guy was very helpful but he was a car enthusiast himself and how about this for a record - 18 mins from 1st call to AA to the patrolman showing up.

Forgot to say the Rado is stuck at work but it's locked up nicely behind big steel gates with CCTV to keep it company. Driving around in an 02 Renault Laguna at the moment.

locked up nicely behind big steel gates

Hasn't stopped people breaking in

CCTV to keep it company

Also hasn't stopped people breaking in

Sorry Dave, I know its not cheering you up. At least you got the nice softly sprung Laguna as an emergency replacement. :clap:

If you need a hand just give us a ring, well a hinderance really. But being as you've got to help me put mine back together I really must offer.

^^^ way to make him feel better!!! ^^^ :?

anyway, from what you've said my money would be on the master.

it will be worth just popping the slave out too to check it's condition while you're there - it's only two 13mm bolts that hold it in and they're pretty easy to get at. pop it out and check the condition of the seals etc and look for any signs of weeping...

if it's the unpainted kind, then as already mentioned, it's been replaced before - so it hopefully won't be that.

lastly, also as already mentioned - if you have no joy after fitting a new master and inspecting the slave then by a process of elimination, it's going to be your release fork.

tbh, i think these bending is quite a rare occurance, but if the master and slave are both fine, then it won't leave you with much else!

hope you manage to get it all sorted asap - at least you have alternative transport in the mean-time!

let us know how you get on :)

Yeah thanks for that Mark :p

I ordered the part on Monday, 2 days from Germany and I collected today. Great I thought, then :censored: :censored: :censored: they sent one for a left hand drive car and it'll be 2 more days for the correct one :mad2: What's more the right hand drive cylinder is £50 more :mad2:

I'm collecting one from TPS tomorrow morning so hopefully that will be the one and I can fix it at work in the morning.

I've got to be down at Stealth Friday morning at 9am for some running problems so it's getting pretty damn close, if I have anymore probs then I'm goosed :(

It was only 2 weeks ago I had to have a new battery - this friggin car is robbing me.

Does anyone know if I need to pull the brake servo out a little as it looks very close to the clutch cylinder?

Sorry for the moan and thanks for any help :)...................except for Mark :lol: ................Only kidding pal :)

Thought i had sorted mine with everything, put the new wheels on and went for a quick spin only to find the CV boot has decided to split and chucked all its grease everywhere, going in the garage for that as i cant be arsed anymore, more money!

Thanks Dave, you love me really! :camp:

If you need a hand in the morning give us a shout, I'll prpbably be outside shot blasting my rocker cover ready for powder coat before Len arrives.

Do you think that you'll be a ble to make Tatton Park on Sunday?

Do you think that you'll be a ble to make Tatton Park on Sunday?

If I get the clutch sorted then yes, I've got to be down at Stealth tomorrow but I doubt he'll find anything that'll keep it off the road.

Picked the master cylinder up this morning and fitted it by midday.............................didn't fix the problem.

I'm rather cheesed off......................

oh spit :(

sounds like what easypops described then, gearbox off job, I must admit when you seemed to say that no fluid level had gone down it did point to the hydraulic system being OK.

Yeah it seems I'll be throwing more money at it, the old master cylinder did feel very loose and worn though.

I'll update the thread when I find out more, I'd hate for someone else to go through this.

Arse - still not a bad idea to change the master while you can still buy them genuine.

The clutch fork will only bend / crack if you have a hydro issue and drive around still and keep having to force the pedal - seen this a few times now though...

Are you sure the fluid bled ok (maybe worth another bleed - or pressure bleed if you didn't before) and the slave is actuating??

Maybe undo the slave bolts and check the pushrod is ok? - I've heard of these breaking on non-genuine slave units.

If all else fails it's new clutch time but you'll need the kit, the fork and best to change the release bearing sleeve thing too. You might also want to think about gear oil and the chains / tensioners