Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Certain clutch problems....All done!

It looked like it bled ok, I didn't use a pressure bleed though. I'll have to check the slave, is it a case of unbolting the slave, push pedal and watch the pushrod working?

Hope your able to sort it soon Dave! Mines the same at the moment,biting point is a inch from the floor and ive bled the system. Not losing any hydralic fluid.

the slave cylinder looks brand new on my one,so guy before looks like he tried to solve the problem but failed.

mine will go into every gear but have to force to clutch to the floor before i do or the gearbox will sound more like a jukebox :D

After fitting the slave cylinder today there was no change so it's off with the gearbox. I don't mind so much, the real pisser is having to pay out for new master and slave cylinders to find the real problem.

I was all set for going to Tatton tomorrow too :(

I'll report back my findings when the box is off tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that mate - and yeah, can appreciate it must suck having lashed out that cash for nothing. But at least it's one less thing to worry about going wrong in the future!

Ok gearbox is off and found the release fork had been [strike:p01af27k]welded[/strike:p01af27k] bodged back together and has failed again - see pic.

I'm going to buy a new clutch too as the one on is a cheapy and doesn't look like it's been mating fully.

Oh well, I'll look forward to driving it again.

That's unbelievable - the part is only around £10 from VW!

At least you've found it Dave and replacing the master should also rule out any future clutch issues.

That's unbelievable - the part is only around £10 from VW!

At least you've found it Dave and replacing the master should also rule out any future clutch issues.

Only a tenner, that's good to know. Any idea how much a clutch kit is from VAG?

Can't believe people do stuff like this :roll: Nevermind- at least you'll have a perfect clutch for many years to come! :)

im going to have a look at mine,got spare two forks so if it is then it should fix it straight away!

might even put the clutch off my other engine,looks pretty new anyway but look at the one thats on my car at d mo! i know it sounds chip-shop but has anyone used a half inch drive extension to line up the cultch plate? seems to fit perfect :norty:

At least you've found the problem now and it's a good excuse to do the clutch even though it's another expense.

As others have said, that bodgery is unforgivable. I just don't understand why some people bodge £10 parts like that!!

tbh i've never used a clutch alignment tool on any clutch i've fitted (inluding multiple plate tractor jobs), and i've never once had a problem.

as long as you take a bit of time to line it up properly by eye, then you shouldn't have any issues

Thats pretty much the same what i do when aligning,i think corrado clutch is a piece of p155 to fit.but then it would be easy compared to some of the clutches ive worked on!some centrifugal cltches are a right f@~kn pain!

Thanks for all the encouraging words, don't worry I won't be selling the VR despite these hiccups. Infact after spending money I'm more likely to keep it :D

A quick update - clutch is in and gearbox back on, just need to do drive shafts and a few other bits so fingers crossed I'll be cranking it up tomorrow.

Nice one :clap: ........how easy was the gearbox to remove?.......only asking as i think i may have to remove it to either replace the crankshaft oil seal or rule it out as the source of my annoying leak :lol:

I've had the box off the valver a few times, clutch alignment tool I tried was rubbish, but in the end it was easy to get near enough to get the box back on like pete_griff said.

Like you say, it's a bit of hassle actually getting the box back on, think I'm going to get a twin hook engine support beam for when I do the 8v clutch this month, those boxes are pretty heavy to sit on your chest aren't they.

Glad you've nearly got it done, some good stuff you've had to do to it you know will last a few years now.

David, yes they are very heavy, we used a jack to get it in place.

easypops - sorry mate no pics, too busy trying to get it in and the camera would of ended up covered in crap. I can tell you that the diff needed to be point upwards and inserted above the subframe on the right hand side then the box tilted back level, if that makes any sense. You can't offer the box up in it's level state as the diff interferes with the clutch and subframe.

Yes it's back togther and working very smoothly. Huge thanks to my mate Andy who led the whole thing - not bad for a Vauxhall trained mechanic, he really is very good, I just helped out :)