dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

I rate the Toyo Proxes very highly. A lot of people don't like them so much, but I think they're great.

Maybe not the best tyre in extremely wet conditions, but as an all rounder, worth a punt.

Not tried the Michelin.

Depending on your tyre size, the new Bridgestone Adrenaline could be worth a try. I've not had a chance to test them yet, but naturally, I've had a very good look over them before sending some of our company cars out on them.

The T1-Rs are useless in the wet. And that's based on a car with KW V3s, R32 wishbone bushes, replaced rear axle bushes and spot on geometry. Obviously any tyre hitting a patch of diesel on a wet roundabout won't perform well, but in general wet weather, the Toyos are poor. Not as bad as Yokohamas, but not far off, imo.

And I've found VR6s don't work well with an arrowhead tyre tread. Stick to assymetric patterns like Continental and Bridgestone.

Grim1, thanks for the feedback. Wet weather performance isn't a concern as I don't use my VR in the wet unless I get caught out. So I may go for a set of the Toyo's.

---------- Post added at 2:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:52 PM ----------

FishWick, thanks for the feedback, I'll take it on board. I currently have BFGoodridge Profilers on at the moment, and they have been a great all seasons tyre.

---------- Post added at 3:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:56 PM ----------

FishWick, do you think the Toyo's not performing so well in the wet has anything to do with how they are bedded in? As from my experience with Yokos (although not on a Corrado) is that once they have bedded in and the top surface has worn away they start to perform much better in the wet.

I have just gone back to michelin exalto 2 and loving them been on continental contact 2's for the last year and would rate them very highly, conti for the dry Mich for the wet.

FishWick, thanks for the feedback, I'll take it on board. I currently have BFGoodridge Profilers on at the moment, and they have been a great all seasons tyre.

Do you think the Toyo's not performing so well in the wet has anything to do with how they are bedded in? As from my experience with Yokos (although not on a Corrado) is that once they have bedded in and the top surface has worn away they start to perform much better in the wet.

I really liked the Profiler G!! Really good in the dry! They came on a set of scabby solitudes I used temporarily, but didn't get a chance to try them in the wet.

I'm not sure on that tbh. I've had T1-S and T1-R from new and neither were particularly reassuring in the wet. With the Yokos I've tried A509, A510 and A520 and they were all scary imo!! :D I've not tried any of the newer Advans. Maybe they are better now?

Fishwick, if I told you that my BFGoodridge ProfilerG are about 10 years old would you be shocked? The backs still have about 4mm of tread and are evenly worn and with no cracks or perishing. Karl has seen the car with these tyres and even he could not believe it. Shame you cannot buy them anymore...

Yeah I looked for a set a while ago and was sad to see they don't exist any more. 10 years, blimey! They're holding up very well.

The best tyre I've tried to date on 15s is the Continental Premium Contact 2. Not as good as the Sport Contact, but you can't get those in 15s. I don't think you can get anything sporty in 15" anymore, which isn't a track day tyre? The Toyo R888 I liked in 15", but they really are naff in the wet and the prices are silly now. Not to mention rubbish life span and horrendous road noise.

Another vote for continental sport contacts here. Epic tyre in all conditions, give you amazing confidence in all weathers and especially when pushin on a bit. Road noise is low too.

Jay

My Skoda came with Continental Sport Contact 3's fitted all round and I have to say they are something else. Low road noise, and fantastic grip in wet and dry.. not sure if they do them in 205/50/15's but I will certainly be looking when it comes to renewing tyres on the VR!

195/50x15 conti 82 v @ £42.50 inc vat each plus £5 donation to forum

if 's thats acceptable pm me ,cheers

Wow, so much cheaper than the 205's

I finally got my sh1t together and PM-ed you - sorry about that.

Hi

Just thought people might be interested in my options of the Falken Ziex ZE-912 I recently purchased. I have always bought the very best tyres I could find (last purchases were Good Year Eagle F1) but budget restraints meant I had to try and compromise this time around. I fitted two of the Falkens to my 16v a few weeks ago (205/45/R16) and I have to say I am impressed and will be fitting them to the back as well asap.

At £60 each fitted (blackcircles.com) excellent value.

HTH

well thats made my mind up Ray been looking at various tyres over last 3 days need to see if a can get a wee bit cheaper now i,ve got a price to go on:thumbleft:

these do seem to be priced at £80 a corner

Edited by anne t

i get there fitted price to £79.36 inc vat, £ 66.16 inc vat delivered

could of done them for £53.00 inc vat delivered

Sorry - I meant £160 for two i.e £80 per corner as you say Anne - still good value. better still at £53 delivered Mr L - but I dought you would deliver to IV55 for that price (if you do - I will be in touch!)

No mention of UniRoyal RainSports in the last 5 or so pages of this thread, no one rate them any more?

Cant fault them bud very grippy on the wet roads and seem to wear good aswell

Good in the dry aswell id say a very good tyre i got my advice from this topic about them

---------- Post added at 8:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:44 PM ----------

Also can anyone reccomend toyo t1r's ?? Gonna be changing to them for a while soon

There 205,55,16 so quite a compfy tyre i presume ? But do they grip well , wear well ??

Just had Michelin pilot Exalto pe2's fitted last week, the best tyres i have ever had on the G60 out of 5 different sets. different class to any others i have had (Goodyear Eagle F1's Etc) exceptional in the dry and equally brilliant in the wet, gave it a good test in both conditions. I will look no further for tyres again. very very happy.

I've tried all sorts; Pilot Sport 2's, 3's, Uniroyal Rainsports, Coni Sport 2's, 3's and 5's, Proxes, Yokos.

I'm now tempted by the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2, at £115 per corner. But some folk are saying Nankang's are great for the money - they're half the price of the premium brands; it'll save me £200. But someone also said they're the cheaper version of Yokohamas - if this is true I'll avoid them, as Im not a fan. Anyone got views on either the F1 Assymetrics, or the Nankang NS-2's?

Thanks

Anyone had any experience of the toyo r1r? Mainly for track use! I read that they are good both in the wet and the dry and much cheaper than the r888 option

Anyone tried "All season tyres"? They're a half way house between summer and winter tyres I believe, and have sipes in them etc.

My temporary Alfa 147 daily hack pretty much needs all 4 tyres doing, but I'll be scrapping it just before it's MOT is due in May. As it's cold I don't want to waste money on summer tyres now and all season jobbies seem pretty cheap.

Anyone tried them?

All season tyres are great in the wet, and even in light snow. I had our A001 (Bridgestone) on our daily (Mondeo). When we had the snow in Jan/Feb, easily doing 40mph with plenty of grip when other cars were doing 20. They last well too.

The only thing, all weather tyres are good all rounders and will out perform summer tyres in the wet and cold, but when it's warmer, they're not quite as good.

That said, I'm running Bridgestone Turanza ER300 at the moment (on the mondeo), and they're really good.

My advice to everyone, when you start getting to winter, replace your tyres at 3mm.