Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Already been threw all your build thread on vr6oc and... You did one of the best vrt I've ever seen :notworthy:

Going threw all the post's doing vrt doesn't look so complicated.

Did you ever get those driveshaft shop drive shafts fitted?

This has to be the best DIY turbo build around :salute:

Hope mine gets somewhere close in the not to distant future.

Wow just read through this whole thread, and you have put alot of time and effort into this, and it looks amazing. Sounds like I right beast :D

Fantastic colour as well 8) :grin:

Car is worthy of a magazine feature Kev - it really is. Sadly you've not got it low enough or bought BBS splitties so I guess you'll never get any interest from the usual mags. But wonder if a good, technical car magazine would be interested in featuring it. It's an absolutely wolf in sheeps clothing - think it deserves to get more attention.

An absolutely fantastic build, it's good to see developments being done over time too. No doubt an awful lot of the things you've learned have helped other people with their builds too. Hats off to you :clap:

I like how everything is over-engineered and 100% up to the job. I've seen loads of engine conversions or turbo builds where things are all a bit heath robinson and as a result the cars are constantly breaking down, causing the owners considerable stress! Nothing beats doing it properly the first time round :)

you dont mess about kev thats for sure :lol:

fair play mate, its a wicked install now! and your car is getting better and better, wheels and now TC :shock:

Very impressive. The more so because you appear to have done so much yourself. I do like the whole idea of over engineering things so that they last and rarely fail rather than bare minimums. Bit like aircraft engineering. Manufacturers could do it but price would probably be prohibitive and no one would ever need to replace their cars!

Car is worthy of a magazine feature Kev - it really is. Sadly you've not got it low enough or bought BBS splitties so I guess you'll never get any interest from the usual mags. But wonder if a good, technical car magazine would be interested in featuring it. It's an absolutely wolf in sheeps clothing - think it deserves to get more attention.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure Kev isn't in to that at all. However, PPC might be the best place for it :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire

Dscf0113.jpg

Alright Kev, whats the suspension set up in this pic? The height looks good on the Speedlines and its the kinda drop I want to go for

The DTA setup is awesome.

I've been looking at replacing my haltec with Omex but i might look into that now.

Great thread, I appreciate the over engineering as mentioned above. You certianly need it for as stress free running as possible on these things.

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, but from the pics it looks awesome!

400 horses through the front wheels – that’s even more than a BTCC racer.

Cheers guys, thanks for the interest, glad you like the pics! :D

To answer a few questions:-

Do the revs dip when the fans kick in etc? At the moment, they do. It's because my alternator is getting old and sluggish, it's done over 100K. I'm going to try and fit a 14.4V alternator from an R32 at some point, but it's getting round to these things!

What suspension? KW V3s 8)

Magazine feature? I am genuinely flattered some of you think it deserves a feature, but sorry, it's not my thing :D

Driveshaft shop axles? No I never fitted those in the end, I sold them to Shaun (StormchargedVR6) :D Like many people who build a VRT, my initial power goal was modest, with a view to turn it up in the future. But that never happened so I sold on some of the uprated stuff like that!

The standard drivetrain seems happy and long lasting with no more than 400 ponies running through it, which is more than enough for 99% of the time! I'll save turing up the boost for when I've installed the O2M gearbox!

Over-engineering. I learned on quite a few occasions that using cheap parts and not upgrading certain things will result in an AA recovery shortly after! I'm glad to say the latest iteration has been very reliable, touches wood!! You live and learn!

My aim all along was to make a quick road car from a humble platform, which can be used every day. I'm very happy with how it's turned out :D

Incredible that you're still at it Kev. Working on the car that is! Looks amazing. I have no idea what those numbers and all are on page 3, but it must be good.

Wow Kev that really is an amazing timeline, lots of innovative touches.

I really like this car a lot, very subtle but with more power than anyone would assume on first looks!

Hope there are more updates to come! :D

There are always updates :D

I've missed all this to be honest. Fiddling with the car, taking pics, then discussing t 8)

Love it. Awesome. I'm a big fan of the subtle beast, all that gives it away are the humoungous brakes.

Its a stunning amount of dedication gone in there Kev, I guess using it as a daily means you had to make it bulletproof or you'd get the sack! It all got a bit technical there for a bit with the numbers, but you do a great job of explaining why you put all the parts on instead of just listing it, which I wish more people would do with highly modded motors.

Would you say you've got it how you want it, or are there more bits planned?

i think i still have the alternator from off my r32 lump, i will have a rummage for you if your intrested kev,

also i found your little pink tool in my box???

Love it, love it, love it! A long overdue thread, wasn't sure how in depth you'd go when you started putting up pics and timeline stuff but I think its brilliant to see what we've seen so far.

I know you're not into the whole magazine features thing but this really would be miles better as a feature car behalf the stuff that the put in things like golf+, something with a history and true technical competence being used to make the best car you can.

With the mapping, if you were to do it again would you still go standalone or go for OEM remapped ecu's?

You deserve a title for your efforts.... Lord is a start !

Its people like you that inspire me to make my C the best it can be, awesome information and devotion. Long live your C

Followed this build on VR6OC for a while now too, simply unbeleivable commitment to making a reliable , high power stealth bomber! Love it.

Would love a passenger ride in this one day as I'm sure it's blisteringly quick whilst still well refined. Look forward to reading about your experiences with the Racelogic too...