Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Kev,

You been told the bosses have to be in a certain place? I can understand that bank 1 & 2 need the same distance from the outlets but what about both? I assume anywhere on the downpipe before it goes from 2 to 1 is fine?

Welds look great Kev, clearly not that much practice was required before you got going! They actually look better than the ones on my raceland decat....

Mark.

Cheers Mark :D They're passable I guess!

Kev,

You been told the bosses have to be in a certain place? I can understand that bank 1 & 2 need the same distance from the outlets but what about both? I assume anywhere on the downpipe before it goes from 2 to 1 is fine?

The distance from the manifold isn't mega critical, just so long as each bank has a lambda before the two pipes converge into one.

It's probably an idea to keep the distance uniform for consistency though. Mine aren't quite the same distance but close enough!

Ok cool, cheers for that Kev.

I'm rethinking the whole mani situation (i know cant make my mind up or what!), what would you suggest? Dubpower, modify 12v one to fit (against this now really) or the united motorsport one? The last one does have a 13 day wait and is only the downpipe too so I'd need the cast manifolds (also mk4 ones so mine would be useless). I'm leaning towards the DP one but that then needs a flexi somewhere as it doesn't have one! They conveniently sell it too but thats another ton i think.

How are you finding the car now after using it for a while compared to the VRT? With mine effectively being off the road Im wondering about doing a proper project on it.

I'm rethinking the whole mani situation (i know cant make my mind up or what!), what would you suggest? Dubpower, modify 12v one to fit (against this now really) or the united motorsport one? The last one does have a 13 day wait and is only the downpipe too so I'd need the cast manifolds (also mk4 ones so mine would be useless). I'm leaning towards the DP one but that then needs a flexi somewhere as it doesn't have one! They conveniently sell it too but thats another ton i think.

I don't really like the UM one having used it for a while now. It's not a particularly good design and the upper flexies are useless. Way too small to actually offer effective movement. It's why I had to weld on a 3rd flexi and why didn't they put the lambda bosses in the two down tubes as standard? How many people run 24Vs on standalones (that only need 1 lambda)?? Hardly anyone!

Don't get me wrong, it'll do the job but it's not the best solution.

Ditto the Dubpower. It'll work, but needs modifying.

Both use pretty cheap thin wall stainless which can resonate and make blowing sounds.

I've been thinking about redoing mine and using genuine MK1 TT downpipes as they're good for flow and being OE, will just work and fit nicely. Just need to snip off the twin outlets and join them into one.

It's all good reason to use my new welder :D

How are you finding the car now after using it for a while compared to the VRT? With mine effectively being off the road Im wondering about doing a proper project on it.

Yeah I really like it. I like having the engine noise back as you lose that with a short runner and turbo and real world performance isn't massively different. The VRT was best between 3000-6500. The R32 feels a bit flat from 3000 but takes off again at 5000.

Jon at Stealth was telling me about a MK2 with a standard R32 DSG install that pulled a 12.3 quarter mile. Apparently the DSG is good shaving up to 2 seconds off the strip time. So that's got me thinking about a DSG install now. A normal manual R32 install can do low 13s, which if you recall not many VRTs bettered, if at all, at inters a few years ago.

DSG, not a fan. It works and works well but I need a stick to play with and a clutch pedal. Its the real world comment that makes most sense to me to be honest, pretty much what I thought.

Why don't people opt for having a custom manifold made? From a simpletons point of view this seems logical, but i'd be interested in knowing the disadvantages?

Cost mate! Someone local quoted me 100 a pipe iirc, 6 to 2 to 1! Painful costs

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm running a 4Motion engine and manifold without any modification to the standard 4Motion manifold? Strange that on a LHD car it just fits!?

Well tbh I'm more surprised that no one makes an off the self one that actually fits properly!!

The dubpower one has the lambda ports, but hits the tunnel.

The UM one doesn't come with a lambda port at all (!!!) and the flexies are ineffective.

It wouldn't be a lot of work to get one made up and given how popular the conversion is, there would be quite a few takers!

Kev,

I have the DP one on the way to me, so will likely mod it to fit. Still waiting on word from Pete at DP that it actually hasn't been modified at all in recent years to prevent this.

Well tbh I'm more surprised that no one makes an off the self one that actually fits properly!!

The dubpower one has the lambda ports, but hits the tunnel.

The UM one doesn't come with a lambda port at all (!!!) and the flexies are ineffective.

It wouldn't be a lot of work to get one made up and given how popular the conversion is, there would be quite a few takers!

Storm Developments make a manifold designed for R32 conversions into a Mk2 Golf or Corrado... http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/shop/exhaust-systems/vr6-6-branch-exhaust-manifold-1.html

Not sure if it has a Lambda port mind, but might be useful.

Yeah that's the dubpower one mate, I believe they supply Storm for when they do the conversions on site. Not 100% certain though but it definitely looks like Dubpower!

iv sourced a spare 12v dp and a 24v dp total cost of aorund £30.00 , hopefully gona chop them both up to form a hybrid,

basicaly i think ill cut the 12v one down and bolt it up to the exhaust, and then roughly chop the top half of the 24v untill it fits in with out to much of a gap between the 12v and then merge the 4 pipes together, i also have an exhaust pipe flareing kit, unfotunatley dont have a pipe bender, im rather looking forward to this part :)

and yea buy argon co2 mix, it welds alot cleaner and your notice it straight away,

Nice one, good luck with that!

Yeah I was mucking about with Argon/Co2 over the weekend and you're right, it is a lot nicer. I forgot welding gives off strong UV light, so my left arm got nicely 'sun' burnt :lol:

Kev I think we should get hold of the poly inserts for the rear mounts already shaved by 15mm for the conversion! Get a few people after those I bet.

I'll sort you some photos when I get back of the manifold and engine so you can see the difference. I'll shove them on the 24v thread.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Good man, cheers! I'd be interested to see what the flext connection is like and how you connect it to the rest of the exhaust.

Yeah I went with the DP decat too just so I got a flexi included. The decat is huge though! 57mm (iirc) internal diameter whereas the old standard magnex kit i have is 55mm internal. It definitely won't fit inside like the original did. Pete (DubPower) says that R32 engines were always much bigger bore exhausts than the standard VR6 kit, so either I live with a bottleneck or I get some 2.5-3" system made up! Definitely not going to be shelling out for a new exhaust anytime soon.

The decat conveniently fits properly over old VR6 exhausts so it's just a case of doing something with the old exhaust's slits (ie cutting them off) and making new slits in the decat to fit the jubilee clips. I'm a bit apprehensive of permanently damaging my magnex though! Wondering if I can just leave the tabs on the magnex and hope it doesn't get in the way too much, Pete reckons there is plenty of decat length to fit over the exhaust fully.

I forgot welding gives off strong UV light, so my left arm got nicely 'sun' burnt :lol:

lol yep iv also learnt the hard way!! i use my left hand to keep the tip steady, its prety prone to getting sun burnt , so i now wear a glove when i weld,

Kev, I cant seem to send any PM's but I got yours. I'll try and swap out the moon roofs on saturday, and if your off to Players on Sunday we can exchange there. I may still have your phone number so will text you later.