Andi

THE Corrado Forum 2.0 FEEDBACK THREAD

Sweet.. I understand with spiralling costs there's a need to have adverts, however It's got to be well worth subscribing to get rid of them!

That will be the point, yes ;)

thing with it is. surely if you have bought the software for the forum it shouldnt have adds on it. or have you put them there for funds?

I've added them for the time being. The software alone cost £222. Then there's the recurring server costs (this site, alone, requires a full dedicated server. It cannot run on some cheap 'shared' hosting), plus the fact just the install took 14 hours straight to get everything back up and running. AND everything else ;) (I've just got in from an evening out to 20 requests of people with invalid email addresses, etc. And that's from 5pm when I left work...).

Not really something I can afford at the moment without a little payback, if I'm honest - so I'm running it as an experiment to see if it does help fund this site.

The adverts are generally what you're reading about - go to the Insurance section, and you'll get Insurance adverts - so they may even be quite useful.

I wanted to make the changes to upgrade the site. Give the members a lot more and hopefully pull back some of the community that felt things were getting a little 'stale'.

Also remember that I haven't actually had a Corrado for 5 years, so this site continues purely out of love for all you guys!

I will get another C eventually, when I have somewhere I can look after it. Not an option at the moment, though.

Oh, and to the guy who emailed "Why did you bother? I preferred the old one." Perhaps buy a Scirocco Mk1, then?

We all know it wont be perfect straight away, like anything there's always teething problems. I like the new format, just taking a little more time to adjust to it.

The quote thing, still doesnt work btw hehe ;-) - i quoted your previous message but its not showing the quote you quoted from me. OR is that meant to happen?

Thanks for the hard work going into the CF and thanks for putting up with us moaning sods haha!

Correct - it doesn't embed quotes within quotes by design.

It's not needed, to be honest.

sorry if that sounded wrong mate i wasnt making a digg! just questioning lol. i really look upto you for still having the enthusisam to do this even tho you have no direct connection as such!

It's ok, wasn't taken as a dig!

And for whoever asked, I've whited-out the grey 'read' status icons a little so hopefully a bit more distinguishable on your monitor.

Old: forum_old-48%20-%20Copy.png

New: forum_old-48.png

If these look EXACTLY the same to you - then the 'new' image is being cached as the old one still.

I've cleared the caches I can on the site, but your ISP and your browser will cache images too - it will update eventually hopefully ;)

Try clicking here then holding Control and pressing F5. It should refresh to the 'lighter' colour. Then reload this page and it should update across the site.

The email account used comes to me.

It's ok - sometimes the information in them helps me find faults with the server, settings, etc.

Plus it's helping me learn this software ;)

I may not post much, but I have access a lot of the time - so can probably help the most.

Thanks for caring! ;)

I ran vr6oc.com off a dedicated box in London, just over £1,000 a year as it grew beyond shared hosting, I've now moved the site to a business account in the USA for a fraction of what I used to pay! I'm fairly proficient with PHP and SQL databases in general so made a lot if optimisations over the last 7 years I've been running the club.

I also offer members a paid membership which has been very successful over the last 4 - 5 years which allows us to grow. If you want a chat about anything in that area drop me a message :)

Thanks Pete. I'd appreciate some help with MySQL setup, as I'm sure that's not very optimised.

I'm running Lighttp and I know PHP well, so they are setup sweet, but any MySQL assistance you can give would be great. Drop me a PM with my.ini setup tips, maybe? ;)

And for those interested in how busy the site is - with some downtime, this is the site stats for yesterday. Check out Google having a good poke!

984446-29201111840am.png

Man its slooooooowwwwwww, takes ages to load now :( I'm on quite a slow connection anyway, but the previous version loaded no probs, now it takes like 30sec or so to load pages :(

It could do with fixing though - much easier for peeps with iPads to click on the larger button... I'm pestering Andi about this!

Exactly why I asked, cheers dude.

Thats better Andi, Thamk you....Take it this one is more data intensive than the direct one???

Nope, it's an issue with you ISP and caching of the old site most likely - should settle down after a few days hopefully

Thats better Andi, Thamk you....Take it this one is more data intensive than the direct one???

There is less cache'ing with the direct. one but it seems there's a couple of ISPs that don't like the cloud-based DNS caching and run really slow.

For most other people it's quicker and a lot less demand on the server though (as the 'savings' in the image above shows).

And iPad users: why not click on this link.

There, that should distract them for a while...

And iPad users: why not click on this link.

There, that should distract them for a while...

It's The iPhone I use most for browsing here, on the train, loo, wherever. I just want the "new posts" to appear when the CF title in the banner is clicked, just as it used to. I know it's a relatively small niggle and that you're bombed out with other problems, so no pressure!

It's The iPhone I use most for browsing here, on the train, loo, wherever. I just want the "new posts" to appear when the CF title in the banner is clicked, just as it used to. I know it's a relatively small niggle and that you're bombed out with other problems, so no pressure!

You could buy Tapatalk - the site supports that.

Or the next version of vB will include a "mobile aware" theme that will automatically show instead of this, and be more finger-friendly.

Probably only a couple of weeks away.

Right, you moany Steve-Jobs-loving, lot...

The logo now shows New Posts.

:)

You could buy Tapatalk - the site supports that.

Or the next version of vB will include a "mobile aware" theme that will automatically show instead of this, and be more finger-friendly.

Probably only a couple of weeks away.

Yeah i have Tapatalk, just never really got on with it that well, the layout just seems awkward, the latter sounds moree like it. Cheers Andi.

Is it possible to get the Private message pop up back? :D

Turn it on in your Settings in your Profile. Simples :)