Tempest

National Day 2012: Sunday 20 May: Brooklands

How about a bit of parking on the famous banking at Brooklands with opportunity for lots of photographs? :)

http://www.bankingonbrooklands.org.uk/

That´s what we´re planning for our National Day in 2012.

Here are the facts:

Location: Brooklands Museum, Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0QN

Wesbite: http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com

When: Sunday, 20th of May 2012 from 10:00 onwards

Entry ticket: £10 per person for Adults, £9 for Seniors, £5.50 for children (5-16 yrs).

We will be parking in the Motoring Village which is a lovely back drop for any pictures.

Lunch can be had in the on-site café, which serves hot lunches between 12:00 and 14:00.

After lunch, at around 14:00 or so, we will attempt to make our way to the famous Brooklands banking for the highlight of the day: Parking our Corrados on the banking for photographs!

This will normally cost an additional £10 per car, but the CCGB has decided to subsidise this cost! :) Hence this event is strictly members-only! Join beforehand for this unique opportunity.

Sign up for this event here: http://www.corradoclub.org/ccgb16/index.php?option=com_illbethere&controller=events&task=view&id=22&Itemid=202

If you can´t see that link, log-in to the CCGB website, then go to the Events Calendar (Home/Latest menu top left corner of page).

Warning! This highlight of the day is completely weather dependent! If it chucks it down or due to whatever other reasons the people at Brooklands feel it won´t be safe to enter and park on the banking, this bit is simply not happening. No-one within the CCGB can be held responsible for this part not happening. So let´s just hope for good weather and us being granted access to this famous piece of racing history.

Just some more stuff:

Please be advised dogs are not permitted on to the Museum site except for working assistance dogs.

There you have it. Looking forward to this National Day :)

Tempest

No offence meant to you at all Eric as you're a cool guy, but this is exactly what I was trying to say in the other thread.

Why should the ccgb get to advertise on CF about ccgb meets that CF members arnt invited to unless they join the ccgb?

I'll be there. It's a great place and they even have a concorde there that you can walk around for a fee. I've walked up the bank recently and its surprisingly steep. Its close to me which is even better. I've just signed up on the ccgb link. Do I need to sign up anywhere else or do you just pay on the door?c

well up for this! just down the road too and what a setting for some photos

Yep Well done Eric! Cant wait either, just hope the sun shines on the day :)

I'd like to come on this as it's just down the road from me, but I have no idea of the current status of my CCGB membership (was a member for years and then it all seemed to go to pot about 3 years ago, and I can't remember the last time I did a paypal payment for it).

I'll try and get there if vailable even though 600 mile round trip will have to make a weekend of it :)

Well done for organising this Eric, It'll be a great day out for sure. A number of met there for a CF meet back in May / June this year. We started early in glorious sunshine and did verything but wonder through Concorde, I think (though some have stayed on for that). If the date coincides with a gathering of classics or some such, it'll be great fun just wondering around the car park. Beware, I recall breakfast was expensive so I imagine lunch will be too - after all, captive market once you're in.

I shan't be able to join you next year but I do fancy a trip to Mercedes Benz World at some point.

Rgds

Charlie

Would like to make this event, not too far from Bmth and fingers crossed for some good weather.

I went earlier this year on cf meet & its a great place,loads to see.Will be there in may,looking forward to it.

Thinking of making the trip. My boy will be 5 by then, does anyone bring a kid to these meets or is that not the done thing? cheers, Jon.

Yes that is the whole essence of a National Day, bringing people together for good day out be it alone or with a family. Everyone is welcome! :)

Thinking of making the trip. My boy will be 5 by then, does anyone bring a kid to these meets or is that not the done thing? cheers, Jon.

There's a 50/50 chance I'll be bringing my 8 year old daughter and 5 year old son. I'll know nearer the time. They loved running up and down the bank last time I went there, and they also have a real affection for the Corrado. So it's a good combination :)

They know how much I love the car so it would be great to get a picture of the kids standing next to it on the banks fo the track. That will be a lovely photo for them to look back on one day when I've shuffled off this mortal coil and they've grown up.

There's a lot for them to see there. Assuming everything will be open as normal they have several old racing cars (including an older F1 car that they let my kids sit in last time), an F1 simulator (just a car with a video screen stuck on the front, but still good fun) and loads of aircraft there too which you can wander around inside (mostly some older small passenger jets or cargo planes). They have one of the Concordes there which, for an extra fee, you can have a tour of (Brooklands actually manufactured many of the parts for Concorde). They also have a museum shop with lots of car and aircraft related toys for the kids to buy (a touch expensive just like most museum shops). A couple of other attractions are an old workshop with the remnants of a wind tunnel (the kids will probably find that one boring though) and a hanger with old aircraft including a couple of models of WW1 and WW2 planes.

It's quite a mix there but there should be enough to keep the kids entertained.

There's also Mercedes Benz World next door and just around the corner is an M&S and Tesco's.

And, if like me you insist on only Shell VPower, there's a Shell garage a couple of mins away.

I'm really looking forward to this one and it's a good example of why the CCGB is still very much relevant and worth being a member of (I'm following on from a recent discussion on CCGB with that comment).

Edited by Portent

Thanks for the further details guys. will get the date booked in with the boss (her in doors) and then sign up. You can't beat a bit of concord.

I'm up for this too; hardly got out in the car at all over the past 12 months so plan to make a more concerted effort in the coming year.... Breakdowns aside lol!

Mark