Johnny H

Falling out of love with the Corrado.

Also shocked that Kev no longer owns a Corrado!

Has anyone ever got to the stage that they think they've replaced everything and the Corrado will be fully reliable? I used to think that, but every time that thought comes close now something else decides to prove me wrong again!

Has anyone ever got to the stage that they think they've replaced everything and the Corrado will be fully reliable? I used to think that, but every time that thought comes close now something else decides to prove me wrong again!

Replaced nearly everything,hardly anything is original,

I use it everyday, and still love it after. 12 years of ownership

I don't want to tempt faith,but yes,mines reliable

a few weeks ago i swaped my audi a3 {a car i got for cheap} for a 3door atlas grey mk2 golf 2.0 16v so im tinkering with that and getting it ready to use as a daily, the corrado hasnt had a look in for like 3weeks! for the first time since iv had it, but i know its there and everytime i walk past , it just makes me want to drive it! Luv it! shame i currently dont have insurance for it and the weathers crap, maybe if you guys gave your rado's a break for a couple of weeks things would be different?

maybe if you guys gave your rado's a break for a couple of weeks things would be different?

That' a very good point - think I will take a holiday !!!! :D

I fell out of love for mine as I never got the time to do anything on it. As Jim says, the values are down and its difficult to get the sort of money you would want for it. So I exchanged mine for labour time from a builder friend to do a load of garden building work plus a smaller cash amount. He's happy with a cheaper car, I'm happy because the car goes to a good home and my mrs is happy as she gets the garden ready for me to put down a fancy new decking. Win, win all round. Oh and I picked up a cheap mk2 to play with as well. Very happy with the outcome.

when was this? Yours was a superb car - looked like mine, but better...

Just had a rare corrado moment in that it was broken but fixed quickly and easily which doesn't seem to happen for me often! Previously had some issues with the offside headlight not working due to a wiring fault and last night thought it had happened again, except this time it was just the bulb for once!

Think that's one up for falling back in love...!

I'm not falling out of love with mine but three things have happened recently that means I'm just not using it. Firstly I have quite a bit less money right now so my original plans for getting everything done on it have taken a real back seat; I simply don't have the funds now and it can no longer be a priority. Secondly my new mk6 is so much better in every respect that in the cold weather I grab those keys rather than the Corrado. Luckily it's tucked up inside the garage though and I still get that little skip of the heart when I go in there. Thirdly I was fairly ill last year and at the beginning of this year, and had a few operations (now fine) and nowadays I want to spend more time with my kids rather than spending time on cars.

I really do think that the rubbish summer has had an effect of peoples moods and love of the car. It's a much nicer car to use in good weather and we've had very little of that.

Still chuffing love mine though.

Edited by Portent

I was falling out of love but now i'm meant to be picking up my second storm grey vr6 tomorrow if all goes well....i have the bug :o

Who knows, I may get another one in the future. History has shown that happens on here many times!

I never used to see another Corrado on the roads but typically, since selling mine, I've seen loads!

In general I think so. The only things that have repeatedly broken on me over the years are the sunroof and steering rack. Everything else that's been replaced / uprated with new parts and well maintained have been completely reliable. The sunroof is just a schitt design and nothing can be done about it I'm afraid.

You can get more life out of it by stripping it right down, cleaning every scrap of grit and old grease out of it, fit a pair of new water plate guides (£90 and still available) and absolutely critical - only use the special VAG "sliding mechanism" grease. If just left, it WILL break.

anyone seen the star letter in pvw, seems to be in line with this thread, some lad has had misery with his corrado,s and thinks it should never be considered a classic car because of all the hardship they give

Yeah I did read that letter, apparently taken from the Vortex forum.

Hmm, bit of unsubstantiated drivel in that letter, was my reaction.

Tempest

Yep, thinking about it every day and decision is almost made. Corrado will go, unfortunately in parts as will get double the money like that.

I'm loving mine as much as I ever did at the moment. It's rare, drives well, looks great, doesn't cost the earth, and it is more reliable than my Mk4 daily driver - Whats not to love?

Everything else that's been replaced / uprated with new parts and well maintained have been completely reliable

This is the key

Like Bacon said if you strip out all the old shag*ed bits and replace with new OEM or uprated parts you'll have a pretty decent and reliable motor at the end of it. It's far too easy to listen to people wanting to sell up because they're having a rough time with their C. Yes, it's a pain in the ar*e when cars go wrong but there are ALOT of cars out there that go wrong, it's not just Corrados.

Unfortunately neglect is all too common place these days it’s no wonder some of us fall out of love with them.

Having said this, I do plan to sell up and get something bigger (Audi A4 Estate perhaps) for the simple reason that the dog is getting too big for the boot! Love my C otherwise and wish I could keep it

Edited by tentonhammer

I've well and truly fallen back in love with mine. had it for sale for a while and as soon as i saw someone else driving it on a test, i knew i could'nt could'nt sell. i'm now hoping that summer 2013 will be better so i can actually use the damn thing as opposed to being a piece of garage furniture(although a very nice piece of garage furniture it is). presently thinking on wether to take the plunge and either turbo or supercharge it. i've got to make it quicker than my daily!

Tom

Mine has been off the road for a long time now , left it in the garage after splitting with the mrs , got her back to her new home now, next month is mot n tax time !! .Can honestly say i cant wait for those weekend mornings when its crisp but dry , jumping in and going for a drive , cant wait to hear that vr roar again .

Not me, trying desperately to get my hands on a solid corrado, everytime I see one driving around it makes me happy. I dont get that with any other car.

Hi all.

Been away on holiday and just got back.

I've not fell out of love with mine it's just sometime you think maybe the grass is greener. I know it never will be.

Hoping to do a few bits to it soon ie some inpro fogs and maybe some wheels or new suspension.

Nice to know some of us think the same thou.

Johnny

I totally fell back in love with mine again today. I hadn't driven it for quite a few weeks due to the new Golf being far nicer in cold weather. But at the insistence of the kids I decided to take it in preference to the GTI. It cranked over for a few seconds and then fired up. I pushed the sunroof back, turned on some tunes and rolled it out of the garage for the kids to climb into.

Unlike the GTI the engine had character and the car sat there with purpose. I drove into town with a huge grin on my face and coming back took a slight detour down a short national speed limit stretch with some twisties. The kids were screaming with delight.

I love this car :D

Even though I waited a long time for my Corrado and only owned it five minutes, I get this feeling all the time. A couple of weeks back I was sat in the house thinking about selling it - I never really use it, I've got loads to do on the house, never get time to do even the little jobs on the Corrado, always working etc. Then last Sunday I got it out of the garage to tighten the centre caps (with my new BBS spanner) and I just had to take it for a quick spin and that was it - grinning ear to ear and thinking that noise! I love this car, it isn't going anywhere! :D

I must admit, it's not so much i'm falling out of love with my Rado, but i am considering selling and replacing with an Audi TT Quattro, either 1.8T (225bhp) or the 3.2 V6.

What gets me down, is knowing there will always be something that needs doing, yet parts availability isn't great. Also, whilst there are some good honest people here selling parts at a reasonable price, there also some real con men on here too (my last C went to one and he was describing parts as in good nick, when in fact, some of those parts weren't as described).

But every time i get in and take it for a drive, i love every minute and have a massive grin, and i know, that if i do sell, it won't be long before i'm searching the classifieds and ebay for another.

Mine's been effectively off the road now for many years except for the odd trip here and there. Most of the time it's in pieces waiting for me to put it back together again but I can stand there for ages just looking at it. I think I love it more now than I did when I first got it, but I suspect that's because the thought of driving it might be better than the inevitible 'what's broken now'. Having said that, if you maintain it and look after it, they are just as reliable as a golf!

Mine is reliable, and less hassle than my Mk4 Golf.

I will say, all three i've owned have been reliable. The first, only had an issue with fuelling after running the fuel tank almost dry (my fault), the last one had an oil cooler seal fail, and despite losing nearly all its oil, the engine still pulled like a train and sounded fine (and that was at around 172000 miles), then the cam belt snapped (which resulted in someone buying it to break). This one has been very reliable, apart from the radiator having a major leak, but I've managed to source a replacement.

I must admit, it's not so much i'm falling out of love with my Rado, but i am considering selling and replacing with an Audi TT Quattro, either 1.8T (225bhp) or the 3.2 V6.

What gets me down, is knowing there will always be something that needs doing, yet parts availability isn't great. Also, whilst there are some good honest people here selling parts at a reasonable price, there also some real con men on here too (my last C went to one and he was describing parts as in good nick, when in fact, some of those parts weren't as described).

But every time i get in and take it for a drive, i love every minute and have a massive grin, and i know, that if i do sell, it won't be long before i'm searching the classifieds and ebay for another.

A Guy called aqkstar is a con man, silly fat CvNT, still got a tatty old badged grill with snapped tabs and a snapped badge held in with a wood screw, Item described as mint. took me a long time to get over that, felt ****in disgusted! guy claims to be a rado breaker to so be careful people!