vr6monkey

R36 - When a Corrado is not quite big enough for the family!!

Having owned 2 Corrado VR6s and loved every moment, I have been looking to buy another. Difficulty is the Corrado does not have enough doors for the family. 2 kids and a dog later and I give up on the dream of another Corrado. My thoughts - if you are going to have a family-friendly car, you might as well get one that is fun to drive. Introducing the R36, 3.6L 24V 300bhp, 4-motion and only 10000miles on the clock!! Not to everyone's taste, I know. However, for such a big car it is pretty damm quick and I'm expecting the dog to be doing some serious nose art on the boot windows. Just need to decide what to do to the car, I think 19" wheels are going to be a start. Maybe adding a spoiler that raises at 140mph? Ideas anyone?

First thing i would do is remove the badges nice looking motor seats look comfortable :thumbleft:

You need to go the opposite way with this! smaller wheels, New coillies but to raise it up a bit, and remove the r36 badge and put on an sdi one or something! You can really show the young uns up at the lights then, and keep them thinking "WTF!" :thumbleft:

You need to go the opposite way with this! smaller wheels, New coillies but to raise it up a bit, and remove the r36 badge and put on an sdi one or something! You can really show the young uns up at the lights then, and keep them thinking "WTF!" :thumbleft:

yup id say thats the way id go lol and id even go to the extreme of letting them think theyv done me at the lights and thrashing em last minute lol that really will send em to the loopy peoples centre :norty:

That looks amazing,jut looked on piston heads at prices...not bad. Shame I can't fit my four kids into one,....!

Ooh, saw one of these in reflex silver at the Dubfreeze show and shine last year. I'm liking the R36 detail on your seats!

I would be leaving the kids, wife and dog at home and staying in a Corrado !!!

Sorry !! :D

..??? really...

OK, What am I missing ?? I don't get it at all.

Are you guys saying this car really is better looking than a Corrado?

My view on cars, is I have to the love the exterior look first - before I even can be tempted further and there is no way that car looks in the slightest bit where I would give it a 2nd look.

If it drove past me, sounding a dream or I had watched its performance then yes, I would give it a 2nd look then.

But until then - complete No go for me !!! Sorry !! :-)

You're missing the fact he actually has kids, a wife and a dog and leaving them at home isn't a real world option.

For a singleton, the corrado is great. If you need the practicality of a large daily car, then why not have one you can have fun in?

Not necessarily saying its better looking than a Corrado, Wendy.. Its a different beast altogether. As Baz says if you need practicality but still want some fun then hard to beat something like this. And now I have to say having had the Octavia for the better part of a year its nice having something modern, rattle free, reliable, comfortable whilst retaining the performance.

It doesn't have to be black and white.. I like this and the Corrado. As well as many other cars. I can appreciate it on its own merits!

My view on cars, is I have to the love the exterior look first - before I even can be tempted further and there is no way that car looks in the slightest bit where I would give it a 2nd look.

If it drove past me, sounding a dream or I had watched its performance then yes, I would give it a 2nd look then.

Fair enough and I do not know the market sufficiently to then comment.

I still would have to love the way it looks though and this really does not float my boat.

The Audi range of similar, sports estates are by far more attractive to me.

Actually I think I would still keep the Corrado for me time and then buy some dead ordinary as a utility vehicle.

Good job we are all different and yes our needs too to meet our individual circumstances.

I'd have one of these as an every day car, big motor, from the same stable as the corrado and a few more toys than the corrado. There are two on eBay at the moment, and a MK 2 golf, with the lump in it for £12,000

Hi Wendy - you are not missing anything! When I was a teenager I dreamt about owning a Corrado, it was the car that I wanted more than any other. I think it is fair to say, not many people have dreamt about owning a Passat? HOWEVER - if you are going to own an estate car, it might as well be a little bonkers? I take your point regarding Audi, yes very nice however you pay a big premium for a bit of badge snobbery. Similar Audi (S4s) were at least another £10k - £15k to buy and they were not £10k - £15k nicer to drive. The other thing I would add is Audi S4s are fairly common? How many R36s have you seen? Yes, there is a reason for that, they were too expensive when new (sound familiar - Corrado when new?). I would add that I used to love people coming across to talk about my old Corrado. I have already had several neighbours come across to find out what an R36 is :-) It think it is fair to say that most forum members are car proud (even if they currently own a fat (not necessarily phat) estate like me)?

Out of interest - has anyone in the UK shoe-horned an R36 lump into a Corrado yet? I would imagine it would be an awesome car, especially if you added the 4-Mo and got rid of the DSG. My wife would shoot me...

Thanks for all the positive comments. I still love the Corrado and get a buzz seeing them out on the roads. Maybe one day when the kids are grown up?

Finally, several comments about the seats - yes they are v. comfortable and they electronically adjust in 14 different directions :-) I would recommend trying to find a set and fitting them in your Corrado?

Spoilers up.

Edited by vr6monkey

Out of interest - has anyone in the UK shoe-horned an R36 lump into a Corrado yet? I would imagine it would be an awesome car, especially if you added the 4-Mo and got rid of the DSG. My wife would shoot me...

i recon its been done just not home grown DIY styley, if you want , you can give me your passat and ill give it a blady good go! i'll promise to take pics lol , p.s think you should get a sound clip of that exhaust note up ;)

this might interest you :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-G60-R36-SYNCRO-1991-/261162201914?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cce7af33a

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

I am understanding more, thanks for the education guys.

I had no idea the Audi of similar stying/performance had that much of a price differential.

Throwing it into a different thought pattern.....

So, if you really have got to drive something dull (I am so sorry everyone :D), then yes, make it interesting and fun.

Guess you are looking out of it when driving then and not at it too. !!

Hence the 'wolf in sheeps clothing' comments here

Which in fairness is like my house. That not pretty to look at, but I look out of it.

I personally still have to like the look of it - its a car, they have to be desired by their looks. :D

Very lame and shallow - I know !!!

Hi Wendy - you are not missing anything! When I was a teenager I dreamt about owning a Corrado, it was the car that I wanted more than any other. I think it is fair to say, not many people have dreamt about owning a Passat? HOWEVER - if you are going to own an estate car, it might as well be a little bonkers? I take your point regarding Audi, yes very nice however you pay a big premium for a bit of badge snobbery. Similar Audi (S4s) were at least another £10k - £15k to buy and they were not £10k - £15k nicer to drive. The other thing I would add is Audi S4s are fairly common? How many R36s have you seen? Yes, there is a reason for that, they were too expensive when new (sound familiar - Corrado when new?). I would add that I used to love people coming across to talk about my old Corrado. I have already had several neighbours come across to find out what an R36 is :-) It think it is fair to say that most forum members are car proud (even if they currently own a fat (not necessarily phat) estate like me)?

Thanks for all the positive comments. I still love the Corrado and get a buzz seeing them out on the roads. Maybe one day when the kids are grown up?

Finally, several comments about the seats - yes they are v. comfortable and they electronically adjust in 14 different directions :-) I would recommend trying to find a set and fitting them in your Corrado?

Spoilers up.

Mmmm, nice!

Yes someone has put an r36 into a raddo, in America, think I either saw it on vortex or YouTube, definately saw a vid.....sounded pretty awesome!

I have thought about it in a moment of madness when I saw an r36 motor for sale, however........so glad I didn't, apparently the software side of things is so so complicated, can be done though : ))