seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Have  taken  them to the powder coater yet? The coolant bottle holder/ fan control unit that comes in two pieces is a good one to do and also the bonnet strut. 

Did all those when I did the rest of the engine bay bits in 2014. Still look like new now.

Stripped any underseal back to clean metal/primer and wire wheeled bits that needed it around the studs and hangers etc. Thankfully there were no nasty surprises and its all solid with no rot, just a bit of surface rust within a few mm of where it was covered. I've treated those areas with rust converter and primed it all ready for new underseal. 

After investigating over the past week or so, the old VW D003 500 is obsolete and NLA anywhere. The Dinitrol 447 is apparently close to factory finish, but it would need painting anyway so I've ordered some Gravitex in white and a couple of aerosols of classic green as well as some cavity wax.

Have to make the best of a bad situation and short of completely stripping all the underseal off and re-applying, the best option seems to be to attempt to feather it in, and go over as best as possible with the paint so it doesn't stand out quite as much. There is some overspray under there anyway from when it was factory painted, so fingers crossed it doesn't look too out of place. I could re-coat the whole underside with the underseal, but I don't have a compressor and for such a large area, I'm reluctant to paint it all on by hand and do a poor job which just looks like its hiding a multitude of sins. I've also spent a huge amount of time cleaning it so I don't want to just cover over it either! lol

27 minutes ago, Nmdsec said:

No photo’s of all this hard work !

There are a couple on the previous page mate. I've been over it again since, but you get the picture. There are before pics a few pages back too, it was minging under there originally! Probably spent 24+ hours in total cleaning it (not all in one go or I'd have been overcome by the fumes!) Hard work, upper body aching like mad every time, thinners and gunk in my eyes countless times (yes I should have learned and worn goggles), and hands in bits from catching on studs and rashes from the thinners all over my forearms. Not a job for the faint hearted, unless you have the car on a spit which would have made it soooo much easier from the get go!

Be interested to see the gravitex when you get it applied Sean. Sounds like your doing a great job under there 👍

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Be interested to see the gravitex when you get it applied Sean. Sounds like your doing a great job under there 👍

I'll post some pics Chris. I only got it as it was the only option from the place I got the paint and cavity wax, and only worked out a couple of quid really as it pushed my order over the free postage threshold! 

Santa came early! (Or late!!)

Pretty pleased with the powder coating, for £120 it seems like a bargain! There is some pitting on the rear axle & tank straps but that obviously couldn't be helped, they're not new after all. The subframe and smaller bits look brand new though, really pleased with how they've come out. 

Most of the bolts have been picked up from VW (the ones that were available) or delivered from Heritage or further afield - had to get some from Germany which is as mental as the delivery cost! Still a couple to come but almost all there now.

Brand new genuine grille as well so I now have all parts to de-Storm it. Don't think I will now though, just because I don't want to damage the paint removing badges! 

New sump as well cos mines looking a little rough. 

Hopefully finish the underseal/painting this weekend so I'll get some pics before reassembly begins! 

IMG_20200304_171546.jpg

IMG_20200305_132811.jpg

IMG_20200305_171745.jpg

IMG_20200305_172227.jpg

IMG_20200305_171731.jpg

• Like 1

All looks good mate this is what will keep these cars alive. In regards to the tanks straps mine came out showing a bit of pitting as well, If I ever get anything powder coated from now  I give it a good sanding first with some very low grade sandpaper and a wire brush in the drill. 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks all, really pleased with it. Shame about the jubilee clips, but I'm buggered if I can find any ear clamps of the right size without buying another set of new boots. Just building up the drive shafts so hopefully fare a little better this time round.

Hope to have it on the road in May, but need to sort brake lines as the seller from the group buy hasn't responded in a while to my emails.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Love it Sean! Exceptional work, gonna be a mint corrado when it’s back together.

Thanks Chris! Certainly different from P1!!!

Nice progress, looks brand new. Forum is a lot better off for the photos in this type of quality build

Very very nice work Sean! I just read the last two pages and I'm inspired. Tonight I'm going to read all of it!
Keep up the good work! Cheers

Ouff I just spent hours reading your entire post! Man, what a difference... That car is coming from far and you did a lot of work on it, good job and I'll keep look at your progress. I can't believe you've managed to do this with two kids! Mon son is one year older that yours and funny thing is today I was tempted to buy one of thos little quad for him. So that made me laugh when I saw that pictures of yours. We went for a ride today on mine, so much fun! Cheers

Well done for persevering! I've attempted to go through the whole thing a few times again since, and got bored so skipped over a lot of it! Lol. You'd think now would be the ideal time to get it all back together as the only thing I need to get are brake lines and a new M/C, but I've not touched it in weeks as I've been busy digging out the garden. 

The quads are excellent, we've actually sold on the boys green one as it was a bit sluggish on the fields over winter where he's got a bit big for it. He's now got a 110cc 4 stroke  and it's an absolute beast! Pops wheelies with me on it! Haha. They are great fun and he loves it. Helps that we now live quite rural and have farmer friends who let us skirt their fields. 👍

Yes I did persevered! Spent all my evening on it lol. Was worth it and it's nice to see all those pictures you took but also seeing  other people doing the same thing as you do is encouraging, inspiring and in my case teach me a lot too. 

Like you i moved to a rural area with my family. Went from a busy city "Vancouver" to a small island in the Pacific. It's very basic here and lot of farms as well which I like. I do my quadding rides at the farm up the street too! I bought a Honda foreman 500 more of a work quad. I need it for moving firewood, my main source of heat in the winter. So ya, I was thinking getting the boy who's 8 maybe a 90cc or 125. Then the wife and I would have more space as well! 

Cheers mate

Subframe has been sat on the garage worktop for a couple of months now (and got pretty dusty!), But not far to go until its back on. I'll get some pics soon as I've not taken any yet, but I've been snatching an hour here and there over the lockdown period and between doing all the small jobs around the house and the big job that is still the garden to finish off, to get underneath the car. As I said previously I'd been peeling any split or loose underseal back to the factory primer, going over it with a wire wheel and emery cloth to clean metal, rust converter, etch prime then resealing. I got a bit carried away around the rear end with all the clip studs, and I've also done along a lot of the sills and on the jacking points too. Happy to say there was no real rot, with the vast majority just surface rust and two or three very small areas where it was probably just starting to go a little crumbly so I've caught it just in time. With so many small areas and without having the factory underseal available, even with a rattle can (or two) of paint in an attempt to recreate the factory overspray look, it looked very patchy and I wasn't happy with it. This has led me to have to go over almost the entire underside with paint, so it's pretty much all body colour now but I'll be much happier with the finished outcome. Just have to finish off the final coat of paint today and I think I'll be ready for reassembly! I've got some kunifer brake pipe and stainless fittings on the way to do every single line (apart from the clutch slave hard to flexi pipe), so I think the only thing left to get is the master cylinder refurbished and new tyres. Thinking now, can I get that slave pipe done too...  I do need to take the slam panel off though, as I have another inlet that has been vapour blasted that I want to fit but one of the bolts has rounded off on and I can't get to it easily. A few other little bits I want to do but not essential, though I've come this far and it's been off the road so long anyway....... shall I take the gearbox off to change the clutch & release bearing again (didn't change clutch last time), inspect release fork etc. Worries about the engine creaping into my mind now - It's not been run in 3 years so will things like stem seals have gone hard and brittle causing oil to leak past too!.......😬

Ahhhh too many things going through my head, when will it ever stop!? Lol

That is a lot of thinking for early in a morning mate. Ive never done the gearbox, yet. So can't advise but sounds a bigger job. Could that be done next year so you can get it back on the road quicker this year? 

I get your worries with the stem seals, so I would get the car started as soon as you can. I'm sure they will be fine. Another next years job if needed 😄

50 minutes ago, Cressa said:

That is a lot of thinking for early in a morning mate. Ive never done the gearbox, yet. So can't advise but sounds a bigger job. Could that be done next year so you can get it back on the road quicker this year? 

I get your worries with the stem seals, so I would get the car started as soon as you can. I'm sure they will be fine. Another next years job if needed 😄

I know mate, woke at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep thinking about the car! 😵

Just thinking GB stuff would be easier whilst the subframe is removed now that's all. I get that it would be better to get it up and running first though. May save further issues down the line if it's kept lubed up as it should be.