Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Mrs Badcrumble 2.0 16v....

Bally, I wish....its a mate of mines...£350 worth as well! (He nicked it from work!!)

I think I need coilovers. Will I need height and damping adjustables, or would I get away with just uprated height adjustables?

FK Konigsports? Highsports?

or

KW Varient 1 (uprated and height)

oh right.. very handy tool to have..

coilovers wise, depends on yr budget etc.. havent had any exp with KW, Im running konisports fully adj's.. although i dont see the need to use the damping adjustment.. its wound of soft as Ive wound them down so low...

rides really well considering..

Another pic off my phone...definately needs to come down at the front. I've got some JOM spring caps to go on!

Going to have the bugger resprayed in the next month or so. Do I;

Just get it sprayed and have all the dents/bumps/scraps removed/filled etc

OR

Change the colour as well?

Any thoughts?

That was what I was thinking guys.

Going to remove the side bump strips, rear badges and colour code door handles and rear number plate surround.

Already had a quote for £1500 for the job, but I thought that was a bit steep as it didn't include the hatch or roof!

Hopefully going to see a mates work collegue, who apparently lives off 'foreigners', and the indication is £700-800 quid, which I think is pretty damn good! And his work is said to be very good, so lets wait and see (fingers crossed!)

To be fair anything will be an improvement on its current state!

And his work is said to be very good,

seems to be the most important thing...theres no point getting it done otherwise!.....cant wait to see it all done though...its a nice 'c' 8)

i got my valver resprayed for around £700 notes too, which included colour coding everything in sight and came out shinier than I could have ever hoped! i did have a couple of silly £1500 quotes too, just have to shop around and make sure you see other work before you get yours done. worth it though, nothing like giving it a good ol' wax and polish on a sunday!

...cant wait to see it all done though...its a nice 'c' 8)

Cheers dude

nothing like giving it a good ol' wax and polish on a sunday!

Looking forward to it being very shiny.... :wink:

[/biased mode] :wink:

:lol:

Just a few updated pics of the porting/polishing, nearly there now....unfortunately pics are taken with my phone! :roll:

Managed to get a reasonably good knife edge on the inlet and have been told that polishing the combustion chamber makes a difference! 8)

hummmm HOW THE HELL DID U GET DAZ 2 sell those A's for £350????

he must have been well ill????? u got a fantastic deal mate ohhh and ya car looks sweeeet wiv dose rude rims!!!

hummmm HOW THE HELL DID U GET DAZ 2 sell those A's for £350????

he must have been well ill????? u got a fantastic deal mate ohhh and ya car looks sweeeet wiv dose rude rims!!!

I think I was just lucky!! Cheers dude

yes, it does look nice with those rims... ;)

It's quite handy seeing these kind of pics, as I'm just about to start doing similar to the spare head I've got here.

When you were stripping the head down, did you need any special tools?

Also, what have you been using for the polish/flowing? Dremmel and emery paper?

tia

randal

yes, it does look nice with those rims... ;)

It's quite handy seeing these kind of pics, as I'm just about to start doing similar to the spare head I've got here.

When you were stripping the head down, did you need any special tools?

Also, what have you been using for the polish/flowing? Dremmel and emery paper?

tia

randal

Cheers dude!

Special tools

- valve spring compressor, which is borrowed of a mate, but bought from Bennets (motor factors)

- magnet on a stick or a magnetic screwdriver to fetch the collets out once you've compressed the springs

I've been using a dremmel and wet and dry sandpaper mostly. It's taking bloody ages as well! I've been doing 1-2 hours a night 3-4 times a week, and I've been doing for a month or two! It gets easier though! As you get the nack of doing it! Should be finished ready for the valves to be lapped in next week! Woo hoo!

Superb, doesn't sound like I'm going to have to shell out that much on lah-de-dah tools. Although, I am kinda disappointed by that as I'm getting into the habit of buying my own tools as opposed to leeching them off of friends/family - oh well, spring compressor will do nicely :D

Blimey, 24-48 hours worth of grinding/polishing?! That's a spicy meat-a-ball! How much are you taking off on the porting?

Looking forward to seeing more pics of everything once it's finished, like I said before it's really handy to see someone doing this before I crack on!

The hardest bit to get a good finish on is the just inside the valve seats and around the corners on the valve end. Pain in the bum to get a smooth finish!

More pics are on there way, hopefully by Friday, when porting/polishing should be finished!

Nothing like a bit of graft eh? I was toying with sending mine to a machine shop to get all this done, but they decided for reasons of cost and plain old "i want a go" I was going to do it meself. Obviously will get it checked over before it goes into the car, the last thing I want to do is scupper everything - especially as I plan to replace a fair ol' bit of the gubbins inside. Oil seals, valve guides etc..? Have you done this too?

Bring on the pics on Friday...!

I'm replacing the valve stem seals, but not the guides. As far as I can tell the guides are ok. I couldn't do the guides myself anyway, but the seals aren't a problem!

Oh and another mbile phone pic....not in focus, but mmmm shiny

Finally finished the polishing...its not perfect but its a lot better than it was. Next stop lapping in the valves. will be doing that next week 8)

Sorry dude but I think you've polished the ports too much. You need a slightly ruff appearance for the same reason a golf ball is covered in dimples. Its to cause a cushion of turbulence just above the surface and allow the air in the centre to flow freely, with a highly polished surface it will create drag throughout the whole cross section of the port and hurt the flow and performance.

Have a read of this http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb120121.htm

As for polishing, Mondello said a smooth finish is great for exhaust ports, but a rougher finish flows better on the intake side. He recommends using 300- or 400-grit paper followed by a Cross Buff for polishing exhaust ports, and 50- or 60-grit paper for the intake ports. A slightly rough surface texture in the intake ports and intake manifold runners creates a boundary layer of air that keeps the rest of the air column flowing smoothly and quickly through the port.