Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Mrs Badcrumble 2.0 16v....

Sorry dude but I think you've polished the ports too much. You need a slightly ruff appearance for the same reason a golf ball is covered in dimples. Its to cause a cushion of turbulence just above the surface and allow the air in the centre to flow freely, with a highly polished surface it will create drag throughout the whole cross section of the port and hurt the flow and performance.

Have a read of this http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb120121.htm

As for polishing, Mondello said a smooth finish is great for exhaust ports, but a rougher finish flows better on the intake side. He recommends using 300- or 400-grit paper followed by a Cross Buff for polishing exhaust ports, and 50- or 60-grit paper for the intake ports. A slightly rough surface texture in the intake ports and intake manifold runners creates a boundary layer of air that keeps the rest of the air column flowing smoothly and quickly through the port.

I think the expression "knickers" springs to mind! Why did I bother?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

alls not lost mate, you can leave the zaust ports as are, just ruff up the inlets abit.

at least you know before putting it back together

Edit: nice car by the way and at least your having a go

bit of a bummer, but surely you can just "rough up" the surface you've polished?

edit - beat me to it! :)

I work at a company who designs engine managment software, and obviously there are a lot of guys here who have a multitude of automotive experience. They have suggested that the inlet ports want to be very smooth to increase gas speed. This only really applies to port injection engines as fuel atomisation is good anyway. For carburettur engines, the surface wants to be ruffer, to provoke a more turbulent air flow to improve the fuel atomisation. Another thing that was mentioned was the edge between the two ports, shouldn't be too sharp, as the air flow will hit that and bounce sideways!

I'm going to soften the edge off, but leave the rest polished, I think. 8)

To be fair I prefer a lot of different peoples input anyway. I'm going to stick the head on anyway and see what happens! It only another head gasket and some head bolts if it isn't right anyway :?

look alot better mate..

any decent pics of the borbets on the car???

lowering the front using spring caps first, then I'll post up some pics!

Cylinder head is on, but still need to get my timing right!

Replaced passenger sunvisor too

Moved Bluetooth handsfree speaker to passenger side corner to try and reduce the stupid echo that people ringing in can hear!

Audioscape sub box arriving tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Any problems getting the head back on? Did you rough the ports up again, or leave as before?

ta

I left them as before, and it does seem to go better, but I need to get it set up properly. Timing is sorted now I think, but fuelling needs to be tweeked I think

OK, good to know. Will be interesting to see what the difference is from standard after a good tune and a RR session... ...keep us posted 8-)

dont change the colour mate it looks good in the flesh.

rather than remove the bump strips go for a colour code, inho it breaks up the door and also stops you getting parking dents in tescos carpark..

will look better with the black seats in.

have fun.

Any recent pix then mate...?! And I trust you used green bulbs to get the indicators to flash orange...? :Wink:

Pix - No digital camera, so no pics at the mo!

Green bulbs - I surely did dude

dont change the colour mate it looks good in the flesh.

rather than remove the bump strips go for a colour code, inho it breaks up the door and also stops you getting parking dents in tescos carpark..

will look better with the black seats in.

have fun.

Yeah going to stick with the Bordeaux Pearl, just needs a good tidy up!

Just need to fix that front drivers seat, and we'll be away!

looks real good m8.

i want your borbets 8)

what size are the tyres? any scrubbage etc?

neil.

Fitted some Lupo wipers the other day....Xmas pressie off the folks, and it has got to be the single best mod I've done to my C so far. Wow the difference is huge! I can see!

Tried fitting a stainless steel manifold off the Bay today as well, but it doesn't fit....gutted!

Finally got hold of a digi camera....

Finished my boot install too!

So here are some up to date pics....

hey mate, been a while!

lookin good..

nice amp you got there, which model audison is it?? I used to have one..

hey mate, been a while!

lookin good..

nice amp you got there, which model audison is it?? I used to have one..

Cheers dude.....

Yeah, just in the middle of my final year at uni, so been double busy, not been on here much....was getting withdrawal symptoms!!!

The Audison is an LRX 5.600 5 channel running front Focal Utopia components active and Focal 27V2 Sub!

Looking good mate, very simple and tidy install there! Hmmm, think I'm gonna have to sort mine out now... ;)

Top work, looks sweet!

Cheers dude,

Since when have you had a VR, let alone a Corrado, I thought you had a Passat???????