Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Mrs Badcrumble 2.0 16v....

(Just got this another one of my threads.....)

My Golf is an early cable TB, I can have a look if you like? Be nice to use the stepper idle valve aswell....hint hint.

Yeah that'd be cool if you could. How would I go about using the stepper idle valve? Would that be in place of my existing idle stabilisation valve? :? I'm using MS I on its own to start with, then going to add the MSnSExtra daughter board that I've bought to run spark, with EDIS coilpack and eventually EGT.

Help Dave!!

This could get tricky!

MS I with Extra code, only drives ISV type valves. Either in fixed warmup control (ie temperature = duty cycle) or closed loop.

MS II with exta code alpha only does ISV at the minute also.

MS II with B&G code. Can do stepper throttle control using the stepper driver on the MS II processor board.

Now I did have an idea of doing a PIC based board to take the PWM signal from the MS I board and converting it into a stepper position. Should be pretty easy to knock up a board and some software.

BUT, after using the MS I extra code for a bit with my VR. I found the idle setup a real pain in the A$%e! So I did consider doing my own board to do separate idle control with stepper motor throttle.

Thats as far as I've got with it.

The other fun and games is that most ECU's also use ignition timing trim to get idle really smooth and stable. This is the only way to get good idle for sudden loads like the fans etc. Although this is being really fussy about idle stability and the stepper valve will respond much quicker than an ISV.

This could get tricky!

MS I with Extra code, only drives ISV type valves. Either in fixed warmup control (ie temperature = duty cycle) or closed loop.

MS II with exta code alpha only does ISV at the minute also.

MS II with B&G code. Can do stepper throttle control using the stepper driver on the MS II processor board.

Now I did have an idea of doing a PIC based board to take the PWM signal from the MS I board and converting it into a stepper position. Should be pretty easy to knock up a board and some software.

BUT, after using the MS I extra code for a bit with my VR. I found the idle setup a real pain in the A$%e! So I did consider doing my own board to do separate idle control with stepper motor throttle.

Thats as far as I've got with it.

The other fun and games is that most ECU's also use ignition timing trim to get idle really smooth and stable. This is the only way to get good idle for sudden loads like the fans etc. Although this is being really fussy about idle stability and the stepper valve will respond much quicker than an ISV.

Very interesting! (At least it is after a bottle of wine and multitude of vodka's and coke) This might be an option for my friend and me to sort out! I'm a software engineer (only just qualified I may add) and my mate is a hardware engineer so to be a perfectionist this may be an option to provide a very stable idle using the stepper motor on the throttle. I'll see how it goes, but as the company I work for works with Ford quite closely (and Aston Martin) this could be a good opportunity to find a solution for super stable idle!! I'll stick the MS on my car and see how it performs.

Hi mate,

Awsome bargain with the inlet, fuel rail and injectors!! were these of the bay?

are you still planning to slap a turbo on the valver once the megasquirt is done?

Hi mate,

Awsome bargain with the inlet, fuel rail and injectors!! were these of the bay?

are you still planning to slap a turbo on the valver once the megasquirt is done?

Alright dude.

Got the inlet etc off Dubforce! 8)

Yeah turbo is still on the cards! Just gonna get it running MegaSquirt first!

Just another little note on the extra board.

I had to move the big black VDR onto the bottom of the main board to make enough room for the extra board in the case, and I put a plastic cover on the base of the extra board because the two pots are very close.

I'm going to have a go with a stepper TB when my car is back together. Most of the ECU systems I've seen use the ISV or stepper for coarse setting and then trim the idle speed with ignition advance / retard. You can sort of do this with MS by making a plateau in the ignition map at the idle condition. If the idle speed drops to low the ignition timing will advance to catch it. If the speed goes to high then ignition retards to slow the idle.

This worked pretty well on the VR (which are renowned for crap idle), so it should be great on a valver. Please keep in mind that I am mega fussy about stuff like this. The best thing is cos its standalone you can tweek all you like to get it just right! 8)

Oh and I found a great way of getting any grotty engine bits clean...... put them in the dishwasher! Check out my head!

head.jpg

give us a shout on the samco fella got some lying about in the shed dont forget i no someone at dtweeks if i dont have it.what car has the throttle body that you want? i will have a gander for you.

give us a shout on the samco fella got some lying about in the shed dont forget i no someone at dtweeks if i dont have it.what car has the throttle body that you want? i will have a gander for you.

Alright dude! How's it going? Got your new motor yet?

I'm after some 51mm bore and about 6inches of Samco, that's all I need! Early non fly-by-wire 20v turbo (AGU) throttle body. as long as it is cable operated it should be fine.

Oh and I found a great way of getting any grotty engine bits clean...... put them in the dishwasher!

Just said about this to Mrs B, she looked at me and said "are you being serious?"!! :lol:

I guess just as long as you do an empty cycle aftwrads it should be fine 8)

Started stripping down the inlet today, and snapped the end of my 6mm Allen key off in one of the hex bolts that holds the lower section of the manifold onto the head! :x still managed to get it off by smaking a 12mm socket over the top of the little bugger :twisted:

Before

Conversion_001.jpg

After

Conversion_002.jpg

Next job is to remove the metering head and stuff, but ran out of light, so that's a job for next weekend!

Oh and I found a great way of getting any grotty engine bits clean...... put them in the dishwasher!

Just said about this to Mrs B, she looked at me and said "are you being serious?"!! :lol:

But a Corrado is part of the family? So why shouldn't it get to use the dishwasher!

But a Corrado is part of the family? So why shouldn't it get to use the dishwasher!

Mrs B said it would be fine!! Its the effect of the Corrado Forum on her I'm sure!!

Mrs B said it would be fine!! Its the effect of the Corrado Forum on her I'm sure!!

My other half was just the same, but she knows what I'm like (or is it that the dishwasher is 12 years old and needs replacing anyway!).

Good to see the project started. I wish VR6's had that much room in the engine bay!

My other half was just the same, but she knows what I'm like (or is it that the dishwasher is 12 years old and needs replacing anyway!).

Good to see the project started. I wish VR6's had that much room in the engine bay!

I'm glad its started now, just hope it doesn't take too long!

Currently using Mrs B 306 to get to work as she broke her wrist and can't drive for 4-6 weeks!

I'm glad its started now, just hope it doesn't take too long!

Currently using Mrs B 306 to get to work as she broke her wrist and can't drive for 4-6 weeks!

DOH! Sorry to hear that, you didn't do it while twisting her arm to get the use of her car did you? :lol: Bad joke but couldn't resist!

I wish VR6's had that much room in the engine bay!

Try working on an Audi S3 or any transverse 1.8T engined dub and you'll welcome the acres of space a VR T has by comparison!

Good work Mr Brown....so many turbos.....:lol:

I wish VR6's had that much room in the engine bay!

Try working on an Audi S3 or any transverse 1.8T engined dub and you'll welcome the acres of space a VR T has by comparison!

Good work Mr Brown....so many turbos.....:lol:

Good point, and I'll be getting the full cam belt experience on my 1.8t very soon! A mate of mine did his 1.8t Octavia in a day. Which compared to an 8 or 16v is crazy.

Hey dude, any updates??

Also managed to pick up a few bits....looking to this thread for guidance!!!

:lol:

Hey dude, any updates??

Also managed to pick up a few bits....looking to this thread for guidance!!!

:lol:

All I can say is....stalled :(

Struggling with getting my manifold modified, so might have to put it all back to gether for another month while I amass some more bits!

Patience is a virtue and all that.

Guess next time you know it wont be so hard to get the inlet off!

Will no one mod the inlet mani?

Patience is a virtue and all that.

Guess next time you know it wont be so hard to get the inlet off!

Too true matey!

Will no one mod the inlet mani?

I've got a couple of people who might be able to do it, just waiting at the mo. I think I'm going to get one of these first from g-werks and get the engine running with a standard inlet.

phpfS3ZUq.main_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons being a couple of people have said to me now that the engine might be really peaky running a 20v turbo inlet normally aspirated, and I can't see the turbo going on for a minimum of 6 months, so I'd rather have the car running sweet for that time. I can always sell it on once I've finished with it. I'll just replace the injector seats in the standard manifold for some G60 seats.

sounds like a plan! Wonder how the N/A 20v lumps from VW/Audi drive?

Suppose with new rail you will be easily be able to sell it on after you have finished with it anyway.

Think there was a guy on clubgti that used the inlet 20vT inlet on his N/A 16v with MS, will try and dig out a link.

sounds like a plan! Wonder how the N/A 20v lumps from VW/Audi drive?

Suppose with new rail you will be easily be able to sell it on after you have finished with it anyway.

Think there was a guy on clubgti that used the inlet 20vT inlet on his N/A 16v with MS, will try and dig out a link.

Cool cheers dude. I actually go the idea to use a 20v turbo inlet from a guy on Ed38. He's used it on his 16v GT passat turbo to good effect!

Damn, can't seem to find that thread.

The guy of ed38 is it raj? think i have a pic of his inlet somewhere, I am sure he used a cusom plate instead of the lower section of a valver manifold to weld onto.

The diff in weights between inlets is surprising!